SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 06-06-12, 07:30 PM   #11
JamesMio
Mega Poster

Default Re: D Day

Nothing like history repeating itself... Today we have those utter *****s Jedward adorning the BBC homepage, and yet again not a single mention of DDay or WWII.

Creatomatic
JamesMio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-12, 08:16 PM   #12
Specialone

Nice one James, we went a few weeks ago and it was very humbling, it's shocking to see so many graves, even though I knew beforehand how many were there, but seeing them in the cemeteries was an eye opener for me.
Old 06-06-12, 08:36 PM   #13
-Ralph-

Good post! Thanks James.

American Cemetary Normandy

British Cemetary Poelcapelle, Belguim

American Cemetary, Manila

American Cemetary, St Avoid

Part of the American Cemetary, Verdun

Makes me sick just thinking about the scale of it...
Old 06-06-12, 09:13 PM   #14
JamesMio
Mega Poster

I was at the first one a few years back and both the big, ex army Geordie ai was with and I spent well over an hour walking around the place in complete, stunned silence.

The sheer scale of what I saw that day will stay with me for the rest of my days and I would urge anybody to see it for their own eyes.

Creatomatic
JamesMio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-12, 09:23 PM   #15
Mrs DJ Fridge

You have to say the Americans are very good at cemeterys aren't they? I prefer the British cemeterys that are small and more personal. Examples all over Belgium and North France.
Old 07-06-12, 10:20 AM   #16
grh1904

I think it's become representative of the society we live in today where everything is said along these lines:-

"Like OMG!, the olympic flame was like being carried by Jedward and like these old people wanted the news to like have some coverage of some dead people who like kinda fough in some other like foreign country who don't even speak English like; I mean who really cares about some dead people like, what did they ever do for us like???".

I write this after a conversation at the weekend with my 16 year old neice, she's doing her GCSE's & finishes school in a week or two before going to 6th form in September. She showed me her year book where all her friends had written in it & it was just like above like, you know I mean like, OMG!, it's just like that (even the teachers wrote like that!!!).

Everything nowadays has to fit in with social media/social mobility/farcebook/twitter/Jeremy Kyle; and if it doesn't then....................................

I would also like to take this oportunity to say "THANK YOU", may those who paid the ultimate sacrifice to give me the democracy, freedom of speech & freedoms that I enjoy today RIP knowing it was a job well done.
Old 07-06-12, 11:17 AM   #17
dizzyblonde
Da Cake Boss
Mega Poster

Perhaps a little overshadowed by Jubilee celebrations?

Hovis 13.8.75-3.10.09 Reeder 20.7.88-21.3.12
dizzyblonde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-12, 11:45 AM   #18
fizzwheel
Super Moderator
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzyblonde View Post
Perhaps a little overshadowed by Jubilee celebrations?
I think so that plus the build up to the Olympics as well.

I don't think the exploits of any of our service men will be forgotten Remembrance Sunday will always see that they are not.

K5 GSXR 750 Anniversary Edition
fizzwheel is offline   Reply With Quote