SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 12-09-12, 07:57 PM   #21
flymo
Mega Poster

Default Re: new iPhone today

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackie_Black View Post
All of my music is on itunes now and it all works so i'll just upgrade. Probably even get some money back for the old phone too.
And this is what the vast majority of the Apple iPhone user community will also do. Vendors such as Apple build a device/OS ecosystem that attracts people to stay.
flymo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-12, 08:21 PM   #22
Jackie_Black

Yeah but to be honest it works well enough, it's not perfect and the phones are expensive, there are better phones for less money although perhaps not as well put together. But the key point is as a phone it works and as a user experience its fine. No one really needs to hack them unless they feel the need to control/steal everything. Android is more customisable and you can really fiddle with it, and i'm a die hard techie so should have one, but i resist as i keep telling myself I just want the most solid platform that works and the I system is still it, for now!!
Old 12-09-12, 09:58 PM   #23
Joe Marcon

Iphone 5 released on 21st at 8am . For £529
Old 12-09-12, 10:08 PM   #24
L3nny
Mega Poster

New smart phones are released every day. Why is it when apple release one everyone gets a boner. I just don't get it.
Old 12-09-12, 10:26 PM   #25
L3nny
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by pookie View Post
Cant wait for samsung, google to do a music store
There is already an Amazon music app for android. It can't be any worse than iTunes.
Old 13-09-12, 06:04 AM   #26
Jackie_Black

Amazon will probably make the best one, although they don't seem bothered.
Old 13-09-12, 06:59 AM   #27
AndyBrad

Why don't they have the Google one in the UK?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2
Old 13-09-12, 10:48 AM   #28
Brettus

Quote:
Originally Posted by L3nny View Post
New smart phones are released every day. Why is it when apple release one everyone gets a boner. I just don't get it.
Apple seem to have a release schedule which fits better with the contract periods. the android/Windows phone market have a new latest and greatest device every 2-3 weeks, so users always feel like they are getting a raw deal being made to wait (IMHO of course)

I like the fact I don't want to wander into carphone warehouse to see what I'm missing out on anymore (yep I know that statement stinks of assimilation but it is true) I didn't want to like the iPhone when we were being made to try them at work, I took the mickey quite viciously out of my mate who tried it first and came back the next day liking it. I was won over by its simplicity (this was the 3G we got) I've had each successive upgrade since (thanks to a very generous employer) and each one has been worthwhile. Each one in turn HASN'T been worth upgrading for though but every other one HAS, which ties in neatly with 18/24 month contracts.

I'm not saying that other smart phones aren't as good (or better in some cases) but Apple do make a good case to customers to keep on their schedule. The phones last well (as attested by JB) and they aren't "constantly" being made to seem outdated by the rest of their product line.

Apple having complete end to end control of their hardware and software means that they have no competition in their own little walled garden. This could have the disadvantage of stifling adoption of innovation but there is enough visibility of the grass being greener on the other side of the wall that they do keep adding new features so users don't get a bad deal, people make more of a deal when they release something as you have no other choice if the apple ecosystem is what you want.

What I truly don't get is why it descends into an almost political level of animosity towards the others. Rather than extolling the benefits of your own particular choice, it's more about bad mouthing the opposition

I fall foul of this remark myself and I hate when I do it.

All choices are great for that particular user at that particular time based on all the factors, budget, feature requirements, peer pressures, contract length.... the list goes on. Enjoy what you have, big it up by all means but can we try and keep the bitching about others choices to ourselves? Maybe that's just my opinion though.
K6 SV650S Sport: GSXR 1000 front end, Penske shock, F.Fabbri DB clear screen, colour matched hugger, Corbin riders seat, Evotech tail tidy, Akrapovic full system, Twin 55w HID lights, Givi rack and..... the biggest top box known to man
Quote:
"Well I've met God and he had nothing to say to me"
Brettus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-12, 11:24 AM   #29
Steve_God
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by flymo View Post
And this is what the vast majority of the Apple iPhone user community will also do. Vendors such as Apple build a device/OS ecosystem that attracts people to stay.
... and then milk money out of you forever more to stay in the Apple ecosystem, or make it hard for you to export your life out of it.

I'll give Apple it's dues, they make good quality products - But I'll stick with my far cheaper, bigger screen, quad-core processor, Android based HTC One X, that does exactly the same, if not more...
SV650s; K6; Metallic Euclase Silver; Fully Faired; Renegade Twin Exhaust Full System (Stubbied); Full ECU Remap; Fabri Tinted DB Screen; Hamicad Fender Eliminater; Bagster Seat/Suzuki Gel Seat; Fenda Extenda; HEL Braided Brake Hoses; R&G Crash Bungs; GSXR Front-end, Triumph Daytona 675 Front Brake Master Cylinder; RedFox Rear Hugger; BMC F.1 Air Filter; Top Box!
Coastal Tours:Great Britain (for Cancer Research) - 3588.2 miles: Completed July 2007. Ireland - 1466 miles: Completed for July 2008

Last edited by Steve_God; 13-09-12 at 11:26 AM.
Steve_God is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-12, 11:58 AM   #30
daveyrach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brettus View Post
Apple seem to have a release schedule which fits better with the contract periods.
Rubbish

Contracts come up for renewal everyday, they my fit with your upgrade date but for example mine it doesn't, I already upgraded back in June so I'd have to wait 2 years before I could even think of getting it (I don't want it tho)

I don't think anyone is slating others choices just the fact that all the hype apple products seem to generate but they barely move forward at all, even the techies have said the Iphone 5 is a little disappointing. I can't see the huge difference between the 3G and the 5.

They boast a bigger screen my Galaxy screen is still 0.8" bigger (also the retina screen used by Apple is made by Samsung!). Camera now has Panorama mode, my Galaxy already has that, New Apple maps - I have Google maps. The only thing I can see is the faster A6 chip but I'm not entirely sure if this is faster than the dual core in the Galaxy's or not..