SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 27-07-13, 06:56 PM   #11
BanannaMan

Default Re: I set a bad example

Jeans if Mrs. BanannaMan is along.
Full kit otherwise. (90% or more of the time)

"The Mountains are calling and I must go"

Last edited by BanannaMan; 27-07-13 at 06:58 PM.
BanannaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-13, 08:42 AM   #12
Professor

Many years ago I set an even worse example: I did a photo session on my SV for a naked calendar (for charity, of course). I only kept my boots and gloves on.
Old 28-07-13, 08:48 PM   #13
Ian P

most accidents happen close to home, but its your choice. last few rides home from work didn't put leather trousers on as it was too hot
Old 28-07-13, 08:59 PM   #14
DJ123
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor View Post
Many years ago I set an even worse example: I did a photo session on my SV for a naked calendar (for charity, of course). I only kept my boots and gloves on.
Similar to the latest biker campaign by a Police Force

BMW F800ST
DJ123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-13, 12:38 AM   #15
Milky Bar Kid

Default I set a bad example

Glad Bib said about boots. One thing I was always told was no matter what else you wear on a bike always wear decent boots and gloves as no skin on your hands sucks and a shattered foot also sucks!!

Being a plumber and besto being an Ambo I cringe whenever I see someone wearing bare flesh on show on a bike! But hey if you want to risk it, it's you that's gonna hurt!
Old 29-07-13, 09:17 AM   #16
Littlepeahead
Mega Poster

I never understand the theory you can wear less protection if you are only doing a short journey.

Mr LPH got knocked off his XJR on a roundabout. Thankfully he'd put on kevlar jeans, textile HG jacket, gloves and boots. The van straight lined the roundabout. Stu's head smashed his passenger window, his bike was run over by the van and written off. Stu's jacket was ripped though at the shoulder and his jeans torn right over the knee, gloves and boots also badly damaged. But apart from bruising he was ok as the kevlar held out.

This all happened at under 25mph, less than a mile from home. Stu had just nipped into town to the bank, it would have been so easy to stay in his work clothes of jeans, trainers and a regular jacket. If he had, he'd have had serious injuries to his skin and probably bones.
Old 29-07-13, 01:42 PM   #17
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

Short journeys more likely to be loads of urban stuff with junctions, women drivers in town centers and stuff, tyres not getting proper hot etc etc. Risky business!
Old 29-07-13, 01:53 PM   #18
Dave20046
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by yorkie_chris View Post
Short journeys more likely to be loads of urban stuff with junctions, women drivers in town centers and stuff, tyres not getting proper hot etc etc. Risky business!
And a false sense of security. A surprising number will ride to hazards from memory rather than information gleaned from the scenario on that day. Or even the ' I always do 40mph round that bend' mentality
Old 29-07-13, 02:40 PM   #19
Littlepeahead
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by yorkie_chris View Post
Ahem, on the 4 near misses I have had in town centres where people have nearly had me off and hit me or my bike all were male drivers! I'm not saying women are better drivers, I'm just saying that men and women can be as bad as each other.
Old 29-07-13, 04:42 PM   #20
tactcom7

Got my leathers and back protector 9 years ago, promised my sister (who bought me the back protector) that I would wear it everytime. No matter how hot or cold it is, i wear it everytime and zip up the 2 piece leathers. Don't think it's worth the risk.

What bugs me is riders in full kit and their pillion in shorts and a t-shirt.