SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 06-01-14, 10:03 PM   #51
Red Herring
Mega Poster

Default Re: Police cause SV650 to crash...

A road safety training video for who.....the police? I'd say that was one of their more effective attempts! Just glad the motorcyclists were so public spirited as to sacrifice themselves in that way!
Red Herring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-14, 10:19 PM   #52
Red Herring
Mega Poster

If you want to make a proper road safety ad then you have to go down under, one of their best.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bvLaTupw-hk
Old 06-01-14, 10:32 PM   #53
Specialone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Herring View Post
If you want to make a proper road safety ad then you have to go down under, one of their best.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bvLaTupw-hk
Never seen that before RH, quite amazingly well presented.
Old 07-01-14, 12:02 AM   #54
Fordward

Doesn't really matter if they were speeding or not. About 2.5% of motorcycle accidents are attributed to exceeding the posted speed limit, but 65% are attributed to excessive speed for the conditions. I think we all know that a speed limit has little bearing upon what is actually safe.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk
Old 07-01-14, 08:21 AM   #55
Wideboy
Evel Knievel
Mega Poster

Well it does seeing as everyone says they're speeding......

05 DRZ400E
RIP hovis
Wideboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-14, 08:29 AM   #56
Specialone

Not speeding, excessive speed for conditions.
Old 07-01-14, 09:04 AM   #57
Wideboy
Evel Knievel
Mega Poster

How so? The argument is now that you should not travel faster than you can see/stop but who sets the guide lines of how fast you should travel in wet foggy conditions with no speed limit? . Firstly (I have only watched the vid once so could be wrong here) you could see the copper so thats the viewing argument possibly gone. Secondly, it's a sad pc state if every road user has to drive along worrying whether or not some pleb is going to jump out in front of them. Whether you agree or disagree that the policeman was to blame, it is for the courts to decide but when you think about it he was still the cause of the accident, if it wasn't staged you could argue as to why the policeman was there with a speed gun in the first place and why he stopped them.

And now all of that is completely irrelevant as there is no speed limit for them to be caught speeding and it was staged.

My point is all needs to be over now, much like the biker gang in NY vid this vid has sparked ridiculous arguments between cage drivers and bike riders all over social media. Bikers are of thinking that "the policeman should be beheaded in the name of jihad" and car drivers in the mind set of "the bikers should be be made to kill there entire family and killed themselves, what happens if a child was playing football ontop of that mountain next to a busy main road).

05 DRZ400E
RIP hovis

Last edited by Wideboy; 07-01-14 at 09:07 AM.
Wideboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-14, 09:23 AM   #58
Red Herring
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wideboy View Post
Bikers are of thinking that "the policeman should be beheaded in the name of jihad" and car drivers in the mind set of "the bikers should be be made to kill there entire family and killed themselves, what happens if a child was playing football ontop of that mountain next to a busy main road).
People who think like that are the cause of the issues we have today, not the police or the riders. They are simply something these sad individuals can focus their animosity on at this particular time.
Old 07-01-14, 09:43 AM   #59
Specialone

Gav, as much as I love you, 90mph in the fog on that road is excessive speed, whether the speed limit is 100, 200, or unlimited.

What a lot of people are failing to see is the copper, although staged, is irrelevant, a hazard can happen at any time, a sheep stepping out is far more likely than a copper with a hi viz jacket on, a sheep would be way harder to see in the fog too.
I've had a sheep step in to the road on me a few times but the worst was in October over the top gear road in Brecon, I was doing a fair old speed and came over a crest and there the sheep was just trundling into the middle of the road with his mate, it was wet but clear conditions, had it been foggy I wouldn't have seen it until much later.
Luckily I managed to shed a lot of speed off by which time the sheep had heard the faint growl of my arrow can and started to bugger off.

If I had collided with that sheep it would've been totally my fault, not the sheeps.
Old 07-01-14, 10:10 AM   #60
NTECUK
Mega Poster

It's just one of those days.
Someone on hear got a big fat claim against them were a pedestrian idely walked into the road.
Can't blame the biker for riding along and hopeing nothing is going to jump out on you.
In this case. Two of the bikes stopped Ok.
The SV had a bit of target fixation and possibly could have got more from the front brake.
If your going to exceed the posted and see fluro, just after your heart sinks and you contemplate 3 or more points, be prepared for a stop.
But in fairness there was enough room to go round the other bike. If he'd aimed at the copper he'd had jumped out the way I'm sure