SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 11-03-14, 04:09 PM   #31
Red Herring
Mega Poster

Default Re: Car hit my bike over - whilst parked in a M/C only bay!

My car has insurance, that doesn't make me responsible if a mate down the pub "borrows" it to run an errand and hits something. The claim is against the driver, not the vehicle. Like I say I don't want to alarm you but you would not believe the BS we sometimes get fed in circumstances like this. Have you got the witness details?
Red Herring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-14, 04:14 PM   #32
dkid

Default Car hit my bike over - whilst parked in a M/C only bay!

I hear what you're saying. Hopefully the driver will do the right thing and own up but I won't hold my breath. I doubt he realises the weight of evidence against him so he may well try to deny all knowledge. Who knows.

Yeah got a name, address and phone number for the witness. Obviously passed these details on to the insurance company.
Old 11-03-14, 04:19 PM   #33
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Herring View Post
My car has insurance, that doesn't make me responsible if a mate down the pub "borrows" it to run an errand and hits something. The claim is against the driver, not the vehicle. Like I say I don't want to alarm you but you would not believe the BS we sometimes get fed in circumstances like this. Have you got the witness details?
Or if some cnut gets some show plates with your reg...
Old 11-03-14, 04:24 PM   #34
Dipper

Is it not a criminal offence if the driver does not report the damage within 24 hours of the incident?
Dipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-14, 04:28 PM   #35
Red Herring
Mega Poster

If I was you I would be in touch with those police officers and asking them to investigate the incident with regard to Section 170 of the Road Traffic Act. Basically there is an obligation on the driver of the car to exchange details at the scene or report it to the police as soon as practicable, and in any case within 24 hours. It is simply not acceptable for them to give you details of the cars insurance without them making an effort to establish who the driver was. Just because they may not prosecute him for the actual crash doesn't absolve him of his responsibility to report the incident. If he has reported it, or they have spoken to him and established he was the driver, then you are entitled to his details.

Alternatively let things be and hope for the best. If you do then it will be much more complicated to recover the situation later if it goes pear shaped.
Old 11-03-14, 04:32 PM   #36
dkid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Herring View Post
If I was you I would be in touch with those police officers and asking them to investigate the incident with regard to Section 170 of the Road Traffic Act. Basically there is an obligation on the driver of the car to exchange details at the scene or report it to the police as soon as practicable, and in any case within 24 hours. It is simply not acceptable for them to give you details of the cars insurance without them making an effort to establish who the driver was. Just because they may not prosecute him for the actual crash doesn't absolve him of his responsibility to report the incident. If he has reported it, or they have spoken to him and established he was the driver, then you are entitled to his details.

Alternatively let things be and hope for the best. If you do then it will be much more complicated to recover the situation later if it goes pear shaped.

Thanks for the advice.

I don't have the officers numbers so what can I do? In hindsight I should have noted the numbers on their shoulders but they convinced me by their attitude towards the whole thing that it wasn't necessary.
Old 11-03-14, 04:34 PM   #37
Dipper

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkid View Post
Thanks for the advice.

I don't have the officers numbers so what can I do? In hindsight I should have noted the numbers on their shoulders but they convinced me by their attitude towards the whole thing that it wasn't necessary.
Are their numbers on any of the photo's you took?

Last edited by Dipper; 11-03-14 at 04:51 PM.
Dipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-14, 04:37 PM   #38
dkid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dipper View Post
Are there numbers on any of the photo's you took?

Only a car reg...
Old 11-03-14, 04:39 PM   #39
Red Herring
Mega Poster

Dial 101 and ask to speak to a control room supervisor. There should be a CAD on the incident as the officers would have had to carry out PNC checks etc. You will need to be able to give the operator the time and location of the incident. If for some reason the officers didn't call it in (I think you said they were flagged down rather than sent to it) then you can ask them to carry out a TE (Transaction enquiry) check against the cars registration number on the PNC (Police National Computer) and this will find the officers number as it leaves an audit trail. Don't be fobbed off. If they try and tell you they can't help tell them you want to make an official complaint and this they will have to log. It will go to an Inspector/Sergeant to sort out and they will get to the bottom of it for you.
Old 11-03-14, 04:40 PM   #40
Biker Biggles
Mega Poster

Did the officer give you a bit of paper with the insurance details?If so there may be a cad number or shoulder number on there.Id ask at the local police station for details of the incident and who the officers were if you are in any doubt.Does the shoulder number show up in any of the pics you took?