SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 17-03-14, 10:54 PM   #1
brodie

Default K4 pointy written off, time to make some mods!

I've had two different cars knock over my parked bike in the last 6 months, and after a protracted ordeal, have settled both claims.

In the meantime, my bike was thieved by some little sh1ts leaving the top yoke broken, the ignition cable cut and the steering lock sheered. I haven't found any more damage from that but haven't given a thorough going over yet. Not sure how to repair the ignition, bit tight for a re-solder, can you replace the cable?

Now I have a little cash to make repairs, i'm thinking it's an opportunity to make some mods

I have a renegade can and airkit, braided hoses already, and i'm thinking of swapping the front forks and rear shock to begin.

I have rudimentary tools (no milling/welding/tapping) and no garage. I have a rear paddock stand and can more than likely strap the front end up for a while between gate posts

With that in mind, what forks and rear shock would you recommend? I've seen a lot of GSXR recommendations, but that's exactly it, there's a lot!

Any other sweet mods you can think of, chuck 'em in too!

I guess i should add, it's a K4 pointy, i'm 6'1" and 11 stone, mostly urban riding.

Last edited by brodie; 17-03-14 at 10:57 PM. Reason: spec addition
brodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-14, 11:17 PM   #2
Dunn-y

Default Re: K4 pointy written off, time to make some mods!

I'm sorry to hear of all the trouble you've had in such a short amount of time. I'd be wary about spending your money on mods, especially after it being stolen once and knocked over twice. They may even come back and take it off your hands for good next time. Is there not somewhere a little safer you can put it? Or a post you can chain it to?

As for the mods. Sorry I'm no help there.

Last edited by Dunn-y; 17-03-14 at 11:22 PM.
Old 17-03-14, 11:40 PM   #3
brodie

Cheers Dunn-y.

Sadly no post to chain it to, but I have been offered a drive to park it in, so it should at least be safe from knocks in future.

I have started using my English chain and Monster disc lock, so hopefully it should dissuade the amateur thief. After reading a few thread here on the subject, i',m debating whether to use the steering lock in future, as it appears to do little but ask to be damaged.

I figure as I've got to make the repairs anyway I may as well take the opportunity to use a little of the cash and make 'better' repairs.
brodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-14, 12:14 AM   #4
Runako

A good tip to deter thieves or malicious damage is to use a full cover. Not just one that covers the top half but, if possible, a rise on cover that you can lock the chain through - especially if you don't have a solid object to lock it against. The time it will take them to get the chain off or rip through the cover to try and get at the ignition will simply put them off from trying!

Also, re the ignition, just buy a new barrel if possible and then take the old on apart and see if you can transplant the actual key barrel so you won't need a new set of keys.
Old 18-03-14, 09:34 AM   #5
socommk23

Get a shed or garage with the money so you can simply keep the bike and keep it safe