SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 23-03-14, 09:11 AM   #131
TicklinJock

Default Re: Pointy swing arm side play.

Hi Pajomad, how did you get on with the suspension adjustment? Did it cure the problem?
TicklinJock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-14, 12:12 PM   #132
pajomad

I did a bit,I got rid of the pogo effect it had by dropping the front a bit and reducing spring tension and increasing the rebound on the back.what I found was all the adjustment is made in the first turn of any of the adjuster screws,after a turn out there is really no difference
Old 20-06-14, 09:15 AM   #133
Soonmixdin

My SV went in for it's MOT the other day and one of the advisories was that there was play in the swingarm.

They quoted me for replacing the swingarm bearing, but I am glad that i found this topic!!

Could someone explain to me, what the steps would be to someone like myself to troubleshoot this?

For example, I found this useful looking socket set the other day: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1109813670...84.m1423.l2649

Would it be worth me getting hold of this and trying to torque up the Pivot bolt castle nut before going into any further depth?

Thanks in advance for your replies.
Soonmixdin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-14, 07:52 AM   #134
muzikill
Mega Poster

Yes. I have a sk3 and a release and torque back up got rid.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk
K3 Job c.v: Engine:remove/split/rebuild/refit. Replace:Gearbox,Fuel pump,Gaskets. Piston clean,rings. Overhaul:Throttle body,Injectors,Brakes,Forks. Remove/refit:Exhaust,Radiator,Oil cooler,Throttle,Air filter,Tank. Replace: Oil,Coolant,grease,brake hoses & bleed.
muzikill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-14, 08:04 AM   #135
Soonmixdin

Default Pointy swing arm side play.

Thanks for that, I will order a set of these sockets and give that a try. Should also be useful in the event I ever decide to upgrade the rear shock!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 21-06-14, 04:33 PM   #136
sath182

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soonmixdin View Post
My SV went in for it's MOT the other day and one of the advisories was that there was play in the swingarm.

They quoted me for replacing the swingarm bearing, but I am glad that i found this topic!!

Could someone explain to me, what the steps would be to someone like myself to troubleshoot this?

For example, I found this useful looking socket set the other day: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1109813670...84.m1423.l2649

Would it be worth me getting hold of this and trying to torque up the Pivot bolt castle nut before going into any further depth?

Thanks in advance for your replies.
Just checking here, but you did gather that the play being discussed here is of the whole swingarm sliding side to side axially along the swing arm pivot. Not the same symptoms as a worn bearing which lets the back of the swing arm move side to side radially in relation to the pivot. At least the castle sockets will reduce the shop costs of replacing the bearings if they were right.
Old 21-06-14, 04:52 PM   #137
Soonmixdin

Hi Sath, thanks for your reply. I hadn't realised this, so glad you have cleared that up for me! In my case it is definitely the back of the swing arm where the play is, so I guess I need to get a set of replacement bearings ordered up.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 21-06-14, 09:58 PM   #138
muzikill
Mega Poster

How many pothole miles has the bike done btw? Ive never read a lot of swingarm bearing replacement threads btw. Play- yes but replacing them?

K3 Job c.v: Engine:remove/split/rebuild/refit. Replace:Gearbox,Fuel pump,Gaskets. Piston clean,rings. Overhaul:Throttle body,Injectors,Brakes,Forks. Remove/refit:Exhaust,Radiator,Oil cooler,Throttle,Air filter,Tank. Replace: Oil,Coolant,grease,brake hoses & bleed.

Last edited by muzikill; 21-06-14 at 10:00 PM.
muzikill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-14, 11:53 PM   #139
Soonmixdin

Quote:
Originally Posted by muzikill View Post
How many pothole miles has the bike done btw? Ive never read a lot of swingarm bearing replacement threads btw. Play- yes but replacing them?

I couldn't tell you dude - I bought the bike last year and haven't actually had it on the road until now!
Old 07-07-14, 11:00 AM   #140
DavieSV

Can anyone who has some shims left over and has not passed them on, please put their hand up?
I sent these out for free to help out the community, but now feel as though I've been taken advantage off.
I have people wanting some, but unfortunately some people have just taken the shims and sorted their bike out with no consideration for others.

Come on chaps! sort it out.
Let people know if you have any.
DavieSV is offline   Reply With Quote