SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 23-02-15, 04:50 PM   #151
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

Default Re: Pointy swing arm side play.

Sounds about right.

I just tried with a clock clamped to the frame indicating against the swingarm and got 3/5ths of fook all and that was a .01 clock.

Bear in mind if bearings assembly is longer than housing tube then clearance is actually negative and overtightening the pivot will lock the system up!
Also bear in mind there are differences in how the curvy and pointy clamp up.

Though negative clearance may be what you want, minimal torque on spindle while removing play... just like adjusting an old school wheel bearing? Maybe...

Last edited by yorkie_chris; 23-02-15 at 04:52 PM.
yorkie_chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-15, 03:55 PM   #152
CodeJACK

Checked my k3 today and there does seem to be a tiny amount of play but going by my linkage bearings, I think the swingarm bearings are my issue. Waiting for spindle too to be delivered so I can take it apart

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk
CodeJACK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-15, 07:41 AM   #153
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by adjblade View Post
Interesting topic this. Pulled my minitwin apart for a frame and swinging arm refresh, bearings, paint etc. The problem of the lateral play looks like a tolerance stack up. With the swing arm out of the bike there was about 1.2mm of lateral play. There are tolerances in manufacturing, so you have to ensure you cater for max and min variation. Suzuki have to ensure that the swing arm could never bind up, eg longest swing arm tube, shortest bearing spacer and needle bearing top hats. I cant see that an over torque of the swing arm spindle could fix the problem. I think in reality you dont notice the problem when riding the bike, I have raced this bike for 5 years with no issues, however I have reduced the bearing spacer by 1mm to remove the majority of the free play whilst it was apart.
Ah right yeah couple of thou either way maybe but not 1/16 of an inch... who's making the bits? A gang of apprentices with hacksaws...
Old 07-03-15, 08:08 AM   #154
DavieSV

Does anybody know what allowable side play is to pass an MOT?
If the side play falls outside this specification from new, then surely it does not conform to UK spec (type approval??).
Therefore, would any body that has ever fell off in a corner have a claim against Suzuki?
That would have to be one massive recall...
DavieSV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-15, 08:08 AM   #155
DavieSV

Does anybody know what allowable side play is to pass an MOT?
If the side play falls outside this specification from new, then surely it does not conform to UK spec (type approval??).
Therefore, would any body that has ever fell off in a corner have a claim against Suzuki?
That would have to be one massive recall...
DavieSV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-15, 11:31 PM   #156
CodeJACK

While replacing the bearings today I decided to file the spacer to reduce the side play in my swinger.

Have it down the .2mm before refitting to frame. Might have taken a little too much off but I can always file the inside lip of the bearing race to get some movement going again.

I'll let ye know if this was a good idea or not.
Old 19-03-15, 11:43 PM   #157
Bibio
Mega Poster

good idea, i sort of done the same to one of the bearing spacers but i used a surface grinder to do mine. i think the only problem i can see is if the surface is not totally square you might end up with a squewiff spacer causing more pressure on one part of the bearing rollers than the other.

you can use the main spindle to set the torque on the bushing so a play about with that will keep you in spec (this is what i had to do). i ended up hand tight on the spindle then spec torque on the nut and fek knows on the castle nut.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-15, 10:54 PM   #158
CodeJACK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibio View Post
good idea, i sort of done the same to one of the bearing spacers but i used a surface grinder to do mine. i think the only problem i can see is if the surface is not totally square you might end up with a squewiff spacer causing more pressure on one part of the bearing rollers than the other.

you can use the main spindle to set the torque on the bushing so a play about with that will keep you in spec (this is what i had to do). i ended up hand tight on the spindle then spec torque on the nut and fek knows on the castle nut.

All done up to torque spec and no more play at all. There is a very light bind but the swingarm still falls under its own weight so I assume this negligible.
Old 20-03-15, 11:03 PM   #159
Bibio
Mega Poster

might bind a little more when it gets hot as it does get hot on the main swingarm tube due to the exhaust. it will eventually bed in though.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote