SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 26-03-15, 05:30 PM   #11
Fen Tiger

Default Re: K3 burning/loosing oil

Never seen it before but the spec looks fine.
Fen Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-15, 05:32 PM   #12
Bibio
Mega Poster

just use Halfords Semi. easy to get, good price and a good oil.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-15, 09:19 AM   #13
atassiedevil

As Bibio said, Halfords Semi works very well. I've used it with no complaints, and i know of guys who use it in their race bikes.
I tend to use Motul Semi, which also seems to do the trick. But i buy that in bulk.
Old 27-03-15, 06:59 PM   #14
wideguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by daddyjob View Post
Fully synth is a much finer oil, so it passes through all the smaller gaps. Semi synth is a bit 'rougher' as it is part man made and part natural and so doesn't eek past certain tolerances and burn.
Bit of a crude description but you get the idea.

Some engines prefer fully synth (especially at high mileage) others need/prefer semi synth.
This is nonsense. Viscosity is viscosity whether it's synthetic, mineral or a blend.
It's possible to have problems seating new rings to a new (or newly honed) cylinder with synthetic oils. Ofter that, no difference other than synthetic oils lubricate better for longer.
Worn out valve guides will increase oil consumption as well as worn piston rings/cylinders. Severely worn piston rings/cylinders will decrease compression and hence performance/fuel economy.
Bad wheel bearings will take more energy to turn, but mostly they are a safety hazard.
Old 27-03-15, 07:27 PM   #15
DJ123
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by wideguy View Post
This is nonsense. Viscosity is viscosity whether it's synthetic, mineral or a blend.
It's possible to have problems seating new rings to a new (or newly honed) cylinder with synthetic oils. Ofter that, no difference other than synthetic oils lubricate better for longer.
Worn out valve guides will increase oil consumption as well as worn piston rings/cylinders. Severely worn piston rings/cylinders will decrease compression and hence performance/fuel economy.
Bad wheel bearings will take more energy to turn, but mostly they are a safety hazard.
Synthetic oil is thinner, that's a fact.

BMW F800ST
DJ123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-15, 11:41 PM   #16
CodeJACK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibio View Post
just use Halfords Semi. easy to get, good price and a good oil.
Quote:
Originally Posted by atassiedevil View Post
As Bibio said, Halfords Semi works very well. I've used it with no complaints, and i know of guys who use it in their race bikes.
I tend to use Motul Semi, which also seems to do the trick. But i buy that in bulk.
Cheers Bib and devil. Only reason I dont use halfords is cost. I can get the other oil for much cheaper.

Lets not turn this thead into the finer details of what oil does what. That has raised too many arguments as it is. I see it as a matter of PERSONAL opinion. I had meerly never seen elf oil before and just wondered. As stated, the numbers/viscosity match up so i know it will be grand.
CodeJACK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-15, 11:43 AM   #17
wideguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by daddyjob View Post
Synthetic oil is thinner, that's a fact.
With minor variations between brands, 10W-40 oil is all the same viscosity, whether synthetic or mineral or blended.
Old 28-03-15, 08:39 PM   #18
johnnyrod
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibio View Post
from my experience of to much fuel washing the bores it causes the oil level to rise not drop.
Interesting, in my experience it seems to help burn more oil, you'd need pretty serious overfuelling to start filling the sump with diluted oil.

Why is it running rich? Dunno, TPS problem? Has this got a lambda sensor which is knackered?
johnnyrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-15, 09:04 PM   #19
CodeJACK

Just posting back up as its been a few months now since I did and engine flush using Wynns and then filled with the elf stuff I bought.

Not had a drop of oil vanish since. Problem solved.
CodeJACK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-15, 09:23 PM   #20
yamrdtez

well reading this post I am shocked that an engine flush and oil change as cured your problem. if you are burning and loosing oil it's down to a mechanical breakdown and not what type of oil you are using.T