SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 01-05-15, 11:23 PM   #1
Terry Lee

Default Not a hugger, maybe a flapper

Standard disclaimer: probably been addressed before

The open area between the swing arm and the upper fender seems to allow crud and such through onto the rear shock. I entertained installing a hugger to keep that area clean. While poking around, I noticed a bit of a flap hanging down from the inner fender assembly. My guess is a rudimentary mud guard. I found some 3/16" neoprene sheet that I thought might be of use. Two hole punched on one side.

The flapper goes on the forward side of the plastic guard, attached with two stainless steel screws.

The idea is to block that area from tire flinging stuff and allow the swing arm to freely slide against the rubber. I wasn't concerned about it fouling the tire but was curious where the flapper would rest during a ride. I fixed a camera to the rear foot pegs and discovered that it actually moves forward at speed. No need for a tie back or spring assembly.
YouTube Video
Error: If you cannot see this video, then either YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed to play it.
Old 02-05-15, 12:49 PM   #2
Bibio
Mega Poster

Default Re: Not a hugger, maybe a flapper

superb idea, been looking for a way to keep the crud off the linkage and as usual i have not been thinking KISS so was looking at making a mould etc.etc. this is a faaaar simpler and neat solution. will just need to tweek it a bit.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-15, 01:03 PM   #3
Terry Lee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibio View Post
superb idea, been looking for a way to keep the crud off the linkage and as usual i have not been thinking KISS so was looking at making a mould etc.etc. this is a faaaar simpler and neat solution. will just need to tweek it a bit.
Yeah, I got 3 square feet of the neoprene. I'm going to tweak as well. It always takes me at least three tries to get something right. Or rather, I tire of the process by the third iteration.
Old 02-05-15, 04:38 PM   #4
PyroUK
Mega Poster

Default Not a hugger, maybe a flapper

Very nifty! Incredibly neat little solution there!
Old 02-05-15, 08:28 PM   #5
wideguy

My '00 650 came with a set up that keeps the shock (mostly) clean, but I did exactly what you show on my RC-51, only with 1/8" hard rubber sheet. I found I had to put it up on top of the swingarm. When I left it in front, it would get picked up by the tire. It is closer to the tire on my RC.
Old 04-05-15, 09:53 PM   #6
Bias

I've done this to all my bikes when the design has let me do it. I don't see the point of spending a fortune on colour matched huggers to keep road crap off the rear shock and linkages
Bias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-15, 03:32 PM   #7
Jayneflakes
Mega Poster

That is a nice idea, my bike has a hugger fitted and that does a good job of keeping most of the road spray off the shock, but the chain does flick some filth on there still. I may have to adapt that concept to reducing chain spray too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlepeahead View Post
Jayne you're a Pussy Magnet
My bar swap and custom suspension

Buy my latest novel and help fund my addiction to strippers and Lego.
Jayneflakes is offline   Reply With Quote