SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 17-12-15, 01:19 PM   #11
damienga15de

Default Re: Bleeding brakes

Sorry no external reservoir.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 17-12-15, 02:26 PM   #12
Red Herring
Mega Poster

In fairness to the OP it's often part of the master cylinder (as it is on an SV) so he may not have known it as such. I'm sure he found somewhere to put the fluid after he had rebuild his brakes.....
Red Herring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-15, 02:28 PM   #13
r0ddy

no resevervoir? surely not
r0ddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-15, 03:30 PM   #14
Corny Gizmo

Yes there is a reservoir, I have pointed it out on a photo of your bike...

Old 18-12-15, 06:23 PM   #15
damienga15de

So I'm not getting anywhere iv bled it conventional way, iv reverse bled it, iv bled the master cylinder iv tied the lever in for 2 days. I have some brakes but the lever pulls to the twist grip and doesn't really firm up. AL the pistons move smoothly. The only thing I can see is the pistons return when I release the lever mabye they return too much leaving extra travel. I'm thinking of the master cylinder mabye an internal seal is buggerd and not able to make the needed pressure

Old 18-12-15, 07:19 PM   #16
Red Herring
Mega Poster

I did try and explain to you how if the pistons are moving that freely they get sucked back to far and you won't be able to build any pressure. Have you tried the trick I suggested by moving the brake lever in and out really quickly? Don't just pull it in and let it spring back out, grip the end between thumb and forefinger and wiggle it back and forth really quickly.

If that still won't get the pistons out and staying against the pads and discs then do you have a syringe? If so fill it up with brake fluid, attach it to one of the bleed nipples, then squeeze the brake lever so that the piston is down the master cylinder (it you don't do this you don't seal the system) and force the fluid in from the syringe. This should introduce enough pressure in the system to bed the piston seals and stop them moving so easily.

You may need someone to help you as you tend to run out of hands trying to hold the lever in and the hose on the syringe/bleed nipple.
Red Herring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-15, 07:22 PM   #17
damienga15de

Thats exactly it. Iv clamped the pistons in and the brakes are rock solid. I have tried the fast pumps. I'll try the syringe now

Old 18-12-15, 07:56 PM   #18
damienga15de

So I have just got somewhere. Rigged up a oil can to the nipple and introduced some pressure with the handle closed. There better but still not 100%. I have the lever cable tied up for the night hopefully the seals will settle a bit. I'm hoping that with some riding the heat produced will help settle them some more and improve them more.

Thanks for the help/advice

Old 19-12-15, 01:41 AM   #19
Bibio
Mega Poster

cable tie does nothing but gas the air. when you pull the lever you close the system so nowhere for air to escape.

if the lever is firm then slowly pulls to bar your MC seals are fubar.

tube on nipple, jar with brake fluid in, pop tube in jar so end is under fluid, pull lever then open nipple till lever is against grip on bar then close nipple and release lever. repeat this till no more air can be seen through tube (do not open nipple then just pump). doing this will ensure that you create pressure to force air out the system. if your clever you can tap the calliper and brake line at the same time as bleeding which dislodges trapped air.

if you have freshly serviced your callipers then it will take a while for the pads to settle in on the discs and you will have a slightly squidgy lever till so, if after 100odd miles its still the same then do a second bleed. i always do a second bleed anyway.

Last edited by Bibio; 19-12-15 at 01:43 AM.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-15, 09:47 AM   #20
timwilky
Mega Poster

You have buggered your bleed nipples and therefore never going to get all the air out of your calipers. Unless you replace the bleed nipples and bleed as intended. Banjo bleed will not purge the caliper.

Best bet source a set of second hand refurbished calipers and start again.