SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 14-11-17, 08:58 PM   #1
DomP

Default Insurance question again

Right as you may be aware ife put a deposit on a Daytona, as my sv insurance isn't due for renewal until early Feb I think what are my options to cover me on the daytona if only to get in 1.5hrs home.

My insurance company told me I'd be best leaving my sv insurance to run, start a new policy on the daytona and then add the no claims from the sv once it's up.

Make any sense?

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk
Old 14-11-17, 09:04 PM   #2
Red Herring
Mega Poster

Default Re: Insurance question again

I take it you've still got the SV?
Red Herring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-17, 09:06 PM   #3
DomP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Herring View Post
I take it you've still got the SV?
Yes I think I will advertise it in the new year, I would now if I thought I'd get a good price for it.

Old 14-11-17, 09:13 PM   #4
Red Herring
Mega Poster

I've got several bikes on one policy, is that not an option for you? If your current insurance company won't cover both bikes, or extend the policy to cover both bikes for a day (or swop them) to allow you to get the other bike home I'd be tempted to pick up the phone and ring round a few other brokers. If you explain you have two bikes to insure with ten months no claims on your current policy there's a good chance you could pick up a favourable quote.
Old 14-11-17, 09:16 PM   #5
DomP

Quote:
I've got several bikes on one policy, is that not an option for you? If your current insurance company won't cover both bikes, or extend the policy to cover both bikes for a day (or swop them) to allow you to get the other bike home I'd be tempted to pick up the phone and ring round a few other brokers. If you explain you have two bikes to insure with ten months no claims on your current policy there's a good chance you could pick up a favourable quote.
I've got one year and 10 months ncd. Do you mean switching insurance companies before the current one is up?

Old 14-11-17, 10:30 PM   #6
Red Herring
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by DomP View Post
Do you mean switching insurance companies before the current one is up?
If you're current one won't give you want you need then yes. As per a recent thread on here discussing NCD it's not exactly a science following a mathematical formula, I'd be very surprised if a broker didn't give you the equivalent of two years with that history, especially if you were potentially bring two bikes worth of cover to them..... Look at the alternatives.

If you've got two bikes then you either need to have one uninsured, a policy that covers both, or two separate policies. You could take out an entirely new policy on the Triumph and let the SV one run on, but that will put you under real pressure to sell the SV come February, and if you really want to keep the Daytona for best as per your other thread then it might make sense to hang on to the SV.....? If you're not going to ride the Daytona until the Spring (hard if it's winking at you every time you go into the garage) you could see if you can get it delivered home and risk it being uninsured until you sell the SV, but do you really want to do that?

Personally I'd shop around for a broker that will cover both bikes on the one policy and if that means walking away from the last few months on the SV policy so be it. I'm with Carole Nash where I've got two policies, each covering four bikes. Neither costs over £250. That's got to be better value than trying to insure eight separate bikes....!
Old 14-11-17, 10:33 PM   #7
DomP

Quote:
If you're current one won't give you want you need then yes. As per a recent thread on here discussing NCD it's not exactly a science following a mathematical formula, I'd be very surprised if a broker didn't give you the equivalent of two years with that history, especially if you were potentially bring two bikes worth of cover to them..... Look at the alternatives.

If you've got two bikes then you either need to have one uninsured, a policy that covers both, or two separate policies. You could take out an entirely new policy on the Triumph and let the SV one run on, but that will put you under real pressure to sell the SV come February, and if you really want to keep the Daytona for best as per your other thread then it might make sense to hang on to the SV.....? If you're not going to ride the Daytona until the Spring (hard if it's winking at you every time you go into the garage) you could see if you can get it delivered home and risk it being uninsured until you sell the SV, but do you really want to do that?

Personally I'd shop around for a broker that will cover both bikes on the one policy and if that means walking away from the last few months on the SV policy so be it. I'm with Carole Nash where I've got two policies, each covering four bikes. Neither costs over £250. That's got to be better value than trying to insure eight separate bikes....!
I'm with carole nash as well, I think it's probably best I make a phone call.

Eight bikes, that's plain greedy!

Old 15-11-17, 07:43 AM   #8
Red Herring
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by DomP View Post

Eight bikes, that's plain greedy!
It just demonstrates my weak will and complete inability to let anything go.....
Old 15-11-17, 07:49 AM   #9
DomP

Quote:
It just demonstrates my weak will and complete inability to let anything go.....
They may well pay off in the future as the classic 'barn find'

Old 15-11-17, 10:06 AM   #10
ophic
Mega Poster

You can get daily temporary insurance cover, but it doesn't help for road tax purposes.