SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 11-06-18, 07:18 AM   #5851
Red ones
Mega Poster

Default Re: Gripe of the day - What is yours?

I recently had a stone chip go through my oil filter. Granted the filter was a little rusty

The latest craze round here is micro-surfacing.
Red ones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-18, 07:41 AM   #5852
garynortheast
Mega Poster

Loose chippings here too. The roads are in a grim state with Romanian sized potholes everywhere. Council has slapped patches of tarmac in the holes without sealing any of the edges, and then put loose chippings down over the lot.
On one stretch of busy road a few miles away the road sweeper was sent down to clean up the loose stuff 24 hours after it was put down, so at least that piece of road is now navigable on two wheels. The road through our village however, has great deep ridges of the stuff everywhere. I'm just about to try and get the bike out through it.
garynortheast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-18, 07:58 PM   #5853
Red ones
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by garynortheast View Post
Council has slapped patches of tarmac in the holes without sealing any of the edges, and then put loose chippings down over the lot.
(

Maybe they did a seamless repair? Supposed to be stronger than cold cut and bitumen overbanded repairs because it binds the new tarmac into the existing road. Supposed to be cheaper too.
Old 12-06-18, 08:30 AM   #5854
SV650rules
Mega Poster

http://www.nuphalt.com/process/

Never seen anything like this by us, just a couple of blokes with a flatbed and some tarmac............

Went out in car yesterday and was concerned for tyres and suspension - some stretches have potholes like a teenager has acne - and if a vehicle is coming the other way just grit your teeth and wait for the bangs. At least it is easier to dodge potholes on a motorbike, but if you do hit one the result can be much worse than in a car.

I have lost a couple of car windscreens due to top dressing. one chip in the wrong place and the whole screen is FUBAR.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-18, 08:19 AM   #5855
Red ones
Mega Poster

Country to relax immigration rules.

I'm not against the policy, others maybe. But how did we get into this situation? Tightened immigration laws under the last Home Sec despite warnings to her that it wouldn't work. Vote out of EU so we can control our borders. Throw out people who were legally here for years after WE brought them here. And now there's concern we need people to run the NHS.

Sounds like a U turn to me but strange how the press haven't said that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 14-06-18, 09:52 AM   #5856
SV650rules
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red ones View Post
Country to relax immigration rules.

I'm not against the policy, others maybe. But how did we get into this situation? Tightened immigration laws under the last Home Sec despite warnings to her that it wouldn't work. Vote out of EU so we can control our borders. Throw out people who were legally here for years after WE brought them here. And now there's concern we need people to run the NHS.

Sounds like a U turn to me but strange how the press haven't said that.
https://www.theguardian.com/society/...erseas-doctors

No one in their right mind would object to government making it easier to bring in well educated skilled people. The problem before with 'free movement' of people from EU is that it took no heed of peoples qualifications or suitability, they could basically export their unemployment to the richer countries (and countries like Spain, Greece and many eastern EU countries did just that). We emigrated to Australia in the late 80's and the amount of time it took and the medical checks, criminal checks and paperwork it took was mindblowing, even though we were qualified and had jobs to go to. The Aussies learned the hard way that free movement is not an option and refused to allow asylum seekers and people trafficked by criminal gangs any where near Aussie, they processed them offshore in PNG (because as we all know - once these people set foot on your territory they become your problem and can be devilish hard to get rid of). The problem with lax immigration is that richer countries will always attract chancers and criminals as well as people you would actually want walking around freely in you society.

A governments main job is to protect its citizens, this means checking who is coming and going and not having 'quotas' to fulfill. Many countries have been very deeply damaged by EU free movement but are slow to admit it, some like Italy, Austria and others have had anti-immigration parties elected because they are waking up at last.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-18, 03:28 PM   #5857
Sir Trev
Mega Poster

Autoglass. Yes I know I am starting to sound like a stuck record but they have now failed to show up for the third time. Yet again I have re-arranged my diary to be at home today, I get a text at breakfast time saying Graeme would be on my driveway between 13:15 and 15:45 to do the work but at 13:30 I get a call to say he's now too busy. Words utterly fail me. To make it worse, even though this is yet another feckup by them, I now have to go to the back of the queue yet again. They're now allegedly coming on Thursday next week, which will be exactly one month after I called it in.

To add insult to injury I have finally managed to get another national glass company to quote me for a private sale. I hope you're all sitting down! Including the VAT it would be £831.88 for a cash sale and I'd still have to wait a whole week before they can fit me in. I'm in the wrong profession - I should be a glazier...
Old 14-06-18, 03:31 PM   #5858
admin
John T
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Trev View Post
Autoglass. Yes I know I am starting to sound like a stuck record but they have now failed to show up for the third time. Yet again I have re-arranged my diary to be at home today, I get a text at breakfast time saying Graeme would be on my driveway between 13:15 and 15:45 to do the work but at 13:30 I get a call to say he's now too busy. Words utterly fail me. To make it worse, even though this is yet another feckup by them, I now have to go to the back of the queue yet again. They're now allegedly coming on Thursday next week, which will be exactly one month after I called it in.

To add insult to injury I have finally managed to get another national glass company to quote me for a private sale. I hope you're all sitting down! Including the VAT it would be £831.88 for a cash sale and I'd still have to wait a whole week before they can fit me in. I'm in the wrong profession - I should be a glazier...
I think I'd be asking Admiral for some form of compensation.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
Old 14-06-18, 03:39 PM   #5859
Red ones
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV650rules View Post
https://www.theguardian.com/society/...erseas-doctors

No one in their right mind would object to government making it easier to bring in well educated skilled people. The problem before with 'free movement' of people from EU is that it took no heed of peoples qualifications or suitability, they could basically export their unemployment to the richer countries (and countries like Spain, Greece and many eastern EU countries did just that). We emigrated to Australia in the late 80's and the amount of time it took and the medical checks, criminal checks and paperwork it took was mindblowing, even though we were qualified and had jobs to go to. The Aussies learned the hard way that free movement is not an option and refused to allow asylum seekers and people trafficked by criminal gangs any where near Aussie, they processed them offshore in PNG (because as we all know - once these people set foot on your territory they become your problem and can be devilish hard to get rid of). The problem with lax immigration is that richer countries will always attract chancers and criminals as well as people you would actually want walking around freely in you society.

A governments main job is to protect its citizens, this means checking who is coming and going and not having 'quotas' to fulfill. Many countries have been very deeply damaged by EU free movement but are slow to admit it, some like Italy, Austria and others have had anti-immigration parties elected because they are waking up at last.

I don't wish to touch your buttons, but there is one small oversight. The EU does require free movement of persons but only in countries that Schengen members. The UK is not a member and therefore can implement it's own visa policies.

If it were a member it could still have it's own checks (several members did this in 2015 and it was within the agreements). Within the agreements if an individual does not have a job and does not have resources to support themselves they can be refused.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 14-06-18, 04:43 PM   #5860
admin
John T
Mega Poster

I'm already bored of the world cup. (Ducks and takes cover)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk