SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 09-09-19, 02:31 PM   #11
DamoK4

Default Re: Windshield noise advice needed

Just been looking at my helmet online (shoei qwest) to see if I can order any accessories for noise and saw “replacement ear pads”. My helmet I’ve had for a few month has a void around the ear which I thought was supposed to be there, turns out it’s not and mine didn’t come with any or has fallen out around the time I bought the bike. 7.99! I just ordered a 70 quid new screen last night

If this fixes it I’m gunna be ****ed off and buzzing at the same time.

Might not tell the Mrs though, the screen will look nice
DamoK4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-19, 08:01 PM   #12
DamoK4

Well.... my ear pads arrived for my helmet, they didn’t make any difference that I noticed, which was a shame because it would have been a lot cheaper.

I bit the bullet and fit the double bubble screen, it’s definitely better, not night and day better but it’s decent. I had a play around with seating positions and arm positions and where I am naturally on a bike is in the best spot noise wise with this screen so it’s good. Also when I look over my shoulder on the motorway my head doesn’t try to unscrew itself as much which was nice. And it looks great in black.

Definitely a lot happier anyway
Old 11-09-19, 08:40 PM   #13
Bibio
Mega Poster

its the qwest.. they are noisy and if you dont get the visor fitting correct you get whistling and buffeting like thumping in your ears. nothing helps but wearing earplugs.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-19, 09:06 PM   #14
johnnyrod
Mega Poster

Did you search on here for the consensus on which DB?
johnnyrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-19, 05:57 AM   #15
DamoK4

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyrod View Post
Did you search on here for the consensus on which DB?
Yes, everyone seemed to rate zero gravity so I bought one of those
Old 12-09-19, 06:00 AM   #16
DamoK4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibio View Post
its the qwest.. they are noisy and if you dont get the visor fitting correct you get whistling and buffeting like thumping in your ears. nothing helps but wearing earplugs.
I thought they were supposed to be really quiet. The visor seems ok I can’t hear whistling, I’ll have a look and see if I can tighten anything up. The shop fit it all so it should be good. Then again... they missed out the ear pads
Old 12-09-19, 01:01 PM   #17
mikerj

No amount of messing with screens and helmets is going to lower noise enough to prevent hearing damage. It's earplugs or hearing loss in the long term.
mikerj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-19, 01:52 PM   #18
DamoK4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikerj View Post
No amount of messing with screens and helmets is going to lower noise enough to prevent hearing damage. It's earplugs or hearing loss in the long term.
Definately. I use moulded ear plugs, I was a drummer brfore I had kids and have a dodgy left ear already
Old 25-09-19, 10:38 AM   #19
DamoK4

Well, problem solved now if anyone stumbles on this in the future. The double bubble screen made a bit of a difference, moulded ear plugs I already had which goes without saying. I went to a helmet dealer and got measured up and my helmet was the correct size but they was concerned a bit with the fit. Bought new pads for 45 quid 2 sizes bigger and voila... noise reduced massively. I still get wind noise and hear traffic but it was a night and day difference. I’m chewing my cheeks a bit but it will relax a bit over time.

The wind goes up my helmet off my jacket, bought a buff neck thingy but it’s too hot for that I don’t like stuff round my neck. I thought the helmet was a good fit to be honest but they could see gaps.

Happy days
Old 25-09-19, 10:44 AM   #20
R1ffR4ff
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamoK4 View Post
Well, problem solved now if anyone stumbles on this in the future. The double bubble screen made a bit of a difference, moulded ear plugs I already had which goes without saying. I went to a helmet dealer and got measured up and my helmet was the correct size but they was concerned a bit with the fit. Bought new pads for 45 quid 2 sizes bigger and voila... noise reduced massively. I still get wind noise and hear traffic but it was a night and day difference. I’m chewing my cheeks a bit but it will relax a bit over time.

The wind goes up my helmet off my jacket, bought a buff neck thingy but it’s too hot for that I don’t like stuff round my neck. I thought the helmet was a good fit to be honest but they could see gaps.

Happy days
Come the cold weather I wear a thinsulate type Balaclava that also reduces noise and keeps the cold and wind off,

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_o...clava&_sacat=0

Last edited by R1ffR4ff; 25-09-19 at 11:26 AM.
R1ffR4ff is offline   Reply With Quote