SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 25-04-21, 08:17 PM   #11
redtrummy

Default Re: lever guard suggestions

Tape wrapped should work ok - done it on bar end mirrors no problem
redtrummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-21, 11:46 AM   #12
BoltonSte
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamoK4 View Post
I'm still looking. I don't think i'd get away with hand guards RiffRaff. Although they would serve the same purpose. I have just emailed them to ask if standard hand guards are sufficient or if i need to buy ones made for purpose so i will let you guys know what they say. Standard hand guards would be better because i can put them on and off for touring if i ever get around to doing it.
MSV confirmed that acerbis hand guards on a street triple would be OK, they have ali spine from the bar end, I'm just going to ask them about a superduke as they are a similar sort of design.

https://www.abinaslawk.com/index.php...ucts_id=633896
BoltonSte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-21, 12:08 PM   #13
DamoK4

They just replied and said said "Hi Damian, hand guards are fine. Thanks". They didn't mention materials they are made of. Seems as long as there is something there its ok
DamoK4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-21, 01:27 PM   #14
Adam Ef
Mega Poster

You can buy just the support bars for Barkbusters (and cheaper versions) from most motocross shops.
Adam Ef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-21, 03:03 PM   #15
BoltonSte
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamoK4 View Post
They just replied and said said "Hi Damian, hand guards are fine. Thanks". They didn't mention materials they are made of. Seems as long as there is something there its ok
That's good, I know earlier this year when it was brought in MSV hadn't decided on adventure bike handguards being suitable. Although I don't know why.

When I asked about the Acerbis they wanted photo's and to check how it mounted etc.

Sounds like they have made their mind up now.
Old 27-04-21, 07:29 PM   #16
DamoK4

I'm leaning towards a proper lever guard over hand guards, just for peace of mind really. Can't think of anything worse than being turned away over it, even if i have email as proof.
DamoK4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-21, 12:35 PM   #17
BoltonSte
Mega Poster

Most years I join a BMW club track day - on my street. This year the brake lever guards came into play. Early on there were some questions about adventure bike hand guards, presumably from the material and how they are mounted.

From my emails with MSV early on, the main criteria they appeared to have was they the guard bolted onto the bar end. An assumption on my part but I guess that is so it doesn't squeeze onto the lever in a knock.

I've just asked them about KTM Super duke guards and they were happy with those as well. I put hand guards on last year and it made a world of difference commuting on cold mornings.
Old 26-06-21, 08:45 AM   #18
damo46

I fit a set of oxford hand guards to my bike that has aftermarket aluminium bars, not rental, some other brand. Anyway I had the same issue with the expanding part not gripping enough and as mentioned already using rawl plugs sorted the issue. I could swing off them now ��.
I did have to cut the collar off the top of the oxford expanding part as they fit nicer with this piece attached, also had to get longer bolts.
Now I purchased the guards second hand for a good price so didn't mind cutting thing's to get it to work.
damo46 is offline   Reply With Quote