SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 20-02-22, 05:43 PM   #1
CheGuevara

Default Exhaust removal F#$%^@!!!

Might as well be in the GOTD thread. Front exhaust bolts came out nicely. All the clamp bolts either came out, or sheared. Two mounting bolts under the bike came out OK.

I can wiggle the exhaust and the pipe moves/slides over the rear downpipe stub ok, but (after 90mins of trying) I'm struggling to get the thing to move at either the front exhaust port or the joint where the front downpipe meets the middle section. I've tried a hammer and punch at the joint. I've tried a bit of wood to try and knock it loose at the head. No joy.

I'm installing a full system, so I'm a hair away from cutting it off and being done with it. I did see one post where a guy used a jack under it -so I might try that to (carefully) apply a bit more leverage, a bit more directly, than I can manage by hand.
CheGuevara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-22, 09:12 PM   #2
wsmc549

Default Re: Exhaust removal F#$%^@!!!

Cut it. If you ever need to go back to stock you can get another for next to nothing.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk
wsmc549 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-22, 02:05 PM   #3
CheGuevara

Spent another 30mins trying to wrestle it loose and then decided it wasn't worth my time/effort to save, so.. I cut the front downpipe with the angle grinder, used the hot air gun around the exhaust port, and then a bit of persuasion with a hammer on the remaining section of downpipe, and it was free.

The swingarm is now separated. Bearings actually look ok, and pretty clean, though could definitely use a bit more grease, so I'm glad I've made the effort to check it now.

Last edited by CheGuevara; 21-02-22 at 04:12 PM.
Old 21-02-22, 05:46 PM   #4
glang

Does this mean the swingarm bearings cant be accessed without removing the exhaust?
glang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-22, 08:49 PM   #5
CheGuevara

Quote:
Originally Posted by glang View Post
Does this mean the swingarm bearings cant be accessed without removing the exhaust?

You can't remove the swingarm without removing the exhaust. I didn't try (I'm replacing the exhaust anyhow), but once the pivot is out there might be enough wiggle room to jam some grease in there if that's all you want to do.
Old 21-02-22, 09:26 PM   #6
glang

Thanks, yes that what Ive got to do some time especially as the bike spent more than 5 days completely under water....
glang is offline   Reply With Quote