SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 23-08-24, 01:01 PM   #11351
SV650rules
Mega Poster

Default Re: Gripe of the day - What is yours?

Quote:
Originally Posted by R1ffR4ff View Post
If you still have the old box I've fixed my Freeview PVRs before by just sticking a spare old PC hard drive in them that I've kept from old defunct PCs

Yeah, plenty on Youtube about replacing HDD in freeview / freesat recorders

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EOr039U32qE

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-24, 04:09 PM   #11352
Sir Trev
Mega Poster

Thankfully Lady Poppy took it in first thing this morning with a printed copy of the receipt and spoke to a different person. This one plugged it into a test rig, confirmed it was duff and fetched a replacement straight away with no drama, was apologetic and professional. The knob I spoke to last night really needs to learn from the morning shift! I honestly think he was deliberately ****ing me off by claiming they had no more in stock, which they clearly did, and lied about not having the receipt.

If anyone wants to pop a new drive in an otherwise working box let me know or it will be on the way to the WEEE cage at the dump in a few days.
Old 26-08-24, 09:23 PM   #11353
admin
John T
Mega Poster

Just got home after 6 days away only to find the power had tripped in the early hours of 23rd. I'm guessing it was the storm I'd heard about in Shropshire.

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk
Old 27-08-24, 09:11 AM   #11354
garynortheast
Mega Poster

Pah! Supposed to have been a quiet day today. So much for that idea then.
garynortheast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-24, 10:58 AM   #11355
Craig380
Mega Poster

Stupid behaviour by a police squad car at traffic-light controlled roadworks.

The roadworks are on an A-road, about 400 yards long and go around a blind corner. So the road is down to a single lane, with the traffic lights controlling the flow. The lights work fine, and have a good 'stagger' to allow traffic to clear the restriction.

Squad car comes haring up the outside of our queue waiting at the red light, blues & twos going. He goes through the red light, approaches the blind corner and ..... meets a large tractor & trailer, followed by a big articulated lorry, and cars behind them, all coming the other way (as their signal was green). There was no way the oncoming tractor etc could have seen the cop car, and unlikely they'd have heard the siren, with the tractor being noisy.

Tractor can't reverse as there's the big lorry and cars right behind it. Cop car refuses to reverse and instead a cop jumps out and starts trying to move the barriers & cones so they can get past. After a few minutes the tractor, lorry and queuing cars clear the restriction, and the cop car goes through - having been delayed by at least 5 minutes. But by this time, the lights have gone through several cycles and the tailback is big in both directions.

Why didn't the cop car wait at the head of our red-light queue so he could go first when the lights went green? The driver obviously thought that his blues & twos clear a path for him as if by magic.
Craig380 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-24, 11:08 AM   #11356
garynortheast
Mega Poster

The trouble with common sense is that it's unfortunately not very common, particularly amongst the people who have the greatest need to be using it!

Hope that someone got the incident on camera.
Old 07-09-24, 06:56 AM   #11357
garynortheast
Mega Poster

Spent the whole day waiting in for DX Freight to deliver a new mattress. It was scanned onto the delivery vehicle (apparently!) in Welshpool just 12 miles away at 7.11am yesterday. Never made it here. No further up to date tracking info and their office is closed for the weekend. Useless gits.
Back on the phone to the supplier in a minute although given that the courier office is closed, I'm not sure what they're going to be able to do.
Old 07-09-24, 10:44 AM   #11358
admin
John T
Mega Poster

For some reason I cannot connect to this forum or the website. Originally I thought the site was down. It only affects my broadband as I can connect via mobile data. I'm not having issues with any other sites.

I've performed all the usual tricks such as rebooting the router. I've changed no settings for years, so not tinkering on my part.

Anyone else on Plusnet having issues?

Ps. I can connect on BB if I use a free VPN which is how I'm typing this ???

Old 07-09-24, 10:49 AM   #11359
Luckypants
Mega Poster

I suspect it's the Plusnet DNS playing up. I had a similar issue years ago with Vodafone broadband. I changed the DNS setting in my router to use Google's DNS to fix it. You might want to take advice from someone with more expertise than me before changing anything though
Snow Plough Appreciation Society - Member #3

Luckypants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-24, 04:32 PM   #11360
admin
John T
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckypants View Post
I suspect it's the Plusnet DNS playing up. I had a similar issue years ago with Vodafone broadband. I changed the DNS setting in my router to use Google's DNS to fix it. You might want to take advice from someone with more expertise than me before changing anything though
I was thinking along similar lines. I'll have a fiddle. Thanks Mike