SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 18-03-06, 09:36 PM   #1
chrisp

Default Front brake alternatives?

Hi, can anyone advise me on upgrading the front brakes on my 99 SVs, I was thinking about changing the calipers but don't know which ones fit.

Cheers

Chris
Old 18-03-06, 10:09 PM   #2
Scoobs
Vipers Pillion Bitch
Mega Poster

Why do you want to upgrade? Bling or performance?

For a performance increase, bleed the system, clean the pistons and calipers, get some decent pads and some braided hoses.

Just servicing the calipers will reap rewards.

Scoobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-06, 10:10 PM   #3
northwind
Mega Poster

None, really. Apart from harrison Billets, which are stupidly expensive... You'd have to find mounting plates spaced to take different calipers- there's always rumours of these being available, but I've never seen any.

There's a guy on OldSchoolSuzuki who's making up blates to put Bandit 12 calipers on a Bandit 6, which I believe may have the exact same forks- but I don't know if these are available yet.

have you upgraded the forks? Upgrading the calipers with standard forks would probably not give you much of a benefit...
But we're oh so easily swayed"
northwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-06, 10:26 PM   #4
21QUEST
Mega Poster

You don't want more Brakes . Slows you down . You want to make full use of the SVs' sweet handling :P .

Cheers
Ben
Blue, mate, having read a lot of your stuff I'd say 'in your head' is unknown territory for most of us
21QUEST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-06, 10:57 AM   #5
chrisp

thanks, I'll knock that idea on the head then, I've serviced the calipers, new seals and HH pads, braided lines, they just don't feel like they're working, maybe it's just me being used to the ZXR brakes, I'll proberbly clean and blead them again, failing that I'll have to go on a diet.

Cheers

Chris
Old 19-03-06, 07:31 PM   #6
steveg

Default re

my last bike was a zxr750 & the brakes were a lot better than the sv's , however that had HH pads & braided hoses and a very sorted front end. However the zxr needed better brakes as it was alot quicker & heavier than the sv.

The brakes on the SV are ok ,I recon firming up the front forks would make a big difference

To be honest don't really need to use the brakes much on the SV due to its power / engine braking & sweet handling.

Cheers Steve

Now Triumph sprint 1050 ABS 05 Reg

AKA Papa Smurf
steveg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-06, 07:47 PM   #7
northwind
Mega Poster

Yup, I reckon the biggest upgrade for an SV's brakes is to reduce the front end dive- they're plenty powerful, but it can be difficult to put it on the road effectively.
But we're oh so easily swayed"
northwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-06, 05:12 PM   #8
butterboy

Default Re: Front brakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisp
Hi, can anyone advise me on upgrading the front brakes on my 99 SVs, I was thinking about changing the calipers but don't know which ones fit.

Cheers

Chris
I just recived a reply from a month old inqury about adapters sv to gsxr. I will forward any info I get,and ask them to post here. They are going to do a production run soon. I will keep you all informed.
Old 26-03-06, 12:25 AM   #9
HighSpeedAssault.com

Default Brake upgrade

Hello,
butterboy just emailed us the link to this site.

We are building a batch of our SV-to-GSXR brake caliper adapters right now, and will have them in two weeks, ready to ship. We will post here when they are done, with detailed photos.
Converts your SV to use 00-02 GSXR 750 (or 01-03 600) calipers. Race tested 2005 season.

We will also have our multi-adjustable rearsets. 1/2-2.5" adjustabilty. We will post pix of those as well.

All parts CNC machined. All parts race tested 2005 season.

HighSpeedAssault.com
Old 26-03-06, 01:30 AM   #10
TSM
The Sick Man
Mega Poster

Any idea on price?
GONE: SV650S K2 Very Bruised & Without Fairing, Motovation Frame Sliders, R&G Ally Sprocket Toe Protector, HEL 2 Line Setup, GSXR K1 600 RWU Forks, Barnett Clutch & Springs, Penske 8981 Shock, Gilles Ti Rearsets, Steel Barends, Scottoiler, AFAM Chain & Sprockets, Twin FIAMM Horns, Skidmarx Bellypan, Full Micron Zeta Steel System, Cut down undertay.

Forum Problems & Information / Site Suggestions
TSM is offline   Reply With Quote