SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Racing and Paddock Chat The latest news, talk, and gossip from the world of bike racing, you can also discuss track days here too.

Closed Thread

Old 17-03-06, 11:04 PM   #91
kwak zzr

ducati have broken lap records! won race's and are winning the championship!
and are still moaning about a lack in power? they was'nt moaning 5 years ago when it was all in there favor and they was winning everything was they

Old 17-03-06, 11:41 PM   #92
Peter Henry

Ah come on fellas you know how those Italian boys are! Basket mentioned perhaps Ducati might bring a V4 along to the party? Well that might not be as mad as it sounds as next year the limited edition desmosedici is released to a small number of lucky b*stards.
When the real world version comes in to production...that could be my last sporty type bike before I then opt for something more sensible like a Fireblade.

(oh,oh just wait until Jelster reads that!) :P :P

Old 18-03-06, 12:16 AM   #93
The Basket

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Henry
Basket mentioned perhaps Ducati might bring a V4 along to the party? Well that might not be as mad as it sounds as next :P :P
Me? Mad?

Yes...I remember the Honda SP1. The reason Honda did a V-twin was a classic case of if you can't beat them, join them. The RC45 was a beautiful sports machine but the Ducati's cc advantage was too much. Hence the copy.

There is a move or a whisper to the 1200cc V-twin...which I hope is stopped. I don't know if Ducati are bringing out a V4 sports bike based on the MotoGP bike. Italians and planning... But this could be the basis of the new WSB bike.

I wonder if they could enter the MotoGP bike into WSB and say it's a road bike

Now that would be unfair

Old 18-03-06, 12:36 AM   #94
Supervox
No more Mr Nice Guy
Mega Poster

I wish I could say that I don't believe that Flammini would be stupid enough to change the rules to allow DUCATI to run 1200cc V Twins.

I wish I could say that . . .

. . . but I can't !!

He probably will make this move and the following will occur :-

(1) Ducati (& possibly Aprillia if they return) will have a definite edge over the Japanese opposition.

(2) The Japanese manufacturers will get the hump again & eventually pull all factory support - leaving only mildly supported privateer teams.

(3) WSB will deteriorate into the Ducati Cup farce that it became in 2003 & 2004

For CHRIST'S SAKE - just as the series has regained serious credibility with all marques (except possibly FP !!) able to make a respectable showing - this pillock is considering chucking it all away !!

Personally, I would like to see one of the follwoing scenarios :-

(a) Manufacturers told - It's up to you what you put on the grid - no rules EXCEPT that it must be a homologated as a road bike. No other restrictions whatsoever.

(b) Manufacturers told - All bikes must be no more than ????cc, engine configuration is up to you - the only restriction being as above - homologated as a road bike.
Old 18-03-06, 08:53 AM   #95
kwak zzr

agreed!!

Old 18-03-06, 08:59 AM   #96
Peter Henry

I totally agree with you Supervox, there has to be a level playing field as to all but those directly involved in a team can only feel shallow victory. Personally I do not think there is a whole lot wrong with how things are at the moment and some great racing ahead this season I reckon.

p.s. I think there is every chance of an Aprilia return to the scene next year...Moto GP also. Rumour has it that their motor will be V4.....could tempt me not to wait for the Ducati one!

Details of the exclusive new V4 Ducati can be found here:

http://www.ducati.com/desmosedici/

Old 18-03-06, 09:55 AM   #97
Supervox
No more Mr Nice Guy
Mega Poster

I should have added a 3rd scenario (as prompted by Peter H) :-

(c) LEAVE THINGS ALONE - IT WORKS AS IT IS NOW !!

If Ducati feel that they are at the end of the 999's useful life as a race machine then the answer is simple . . .

. . . build another bike or leave WSB :P

Granted, WSB wouldn't be the same without them . . .

. . . on the plus side - no more bl**dy whinging about this not being fair & that not being fair etc . . .

. . . on the minus side - V Twins (as we all know) do sound WONDERFUL !!

Old 18-03-06, 10:07 AM   #98
fizzwheel
Super Moderator
Mega Poster

I dont see why Ducati are making all this fuss its not as though the 999 is out paced at the moment. Especially with Bayliss ragging the hell out of it.

I think its more down to cost, the 999 engine I believe is now in such a high state of tune it doesnt do many miles before it needs a rebuild, whereas the fours because they are in a lower state of tune go for ages without needing a rebuild.

However Honda with the SP2 proved you can build a twin in a high state of tune and have a big interval between rebuild.

I think Supervox's idea of the engine capacity limit is xxxx and you can do what you like, however more cylinders carry a weight penalty and you must be able to buy what you race in your local dealer.

I think that would work

K5 GSXR 750 Anniversary Edition
Old 19-03-06, 05:44 AM   #99
PeterM

Notice the grid is almost bereft of privateer Ducatis now? The factory are the only ones that can afford to keep them at the high state of tune to be putting out competetive hp compared to the 4s.

Perhaps an increase to 1100cc would be fair, looking at costs for maintaining a high state of tune. The 999 is about 10hp down on most of the 4s, who'd have thought they'd see the day a factory Ducati would have huge difficulties getting a pass on a straight, even with drafting. Up the triple to 1050 (God knows FP needs all the help they can get).

Either that or maybe introduce a power to weight ratio rule. Wouldn't that be interesting??

Old 19-03-06, 09:09 AM   #100
Supervox
No more Mr Nice Guy
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterM
Notice the grid is almost bereft of privateer Ducatis now? The factory are the only ones that can afford to keep them at the high state of tune to be putting out competetive hp compared to the 4s.
So what ? My answer is as stated above - build another bike !! :P

Quote:
Perhaps an increase to 1100cc would be fair, looking at costs for maintaining a high state of tune. The 999 is about 10hp down on most of the 4s, who'd have thought they'd see the day a factory Ducati would have huge difficulties getting a pass on a straight, even with drafting. Up the triple to 1050 (God knows FP needs all the help they can get).
If an I4 is the most practical for speed/cost of development/power etc, then why don't FP & Ducati prodice one ? No-one has ever held a gun to their heads & said "you WILL race an V-Twin" !!

Quote:
Either that or maybe introduce a power to weight ratio rule. Wouldn't that be interesting??
It would be interesting but just about impossible to regulate - for a start teams would HAVE to declare their engine's BHP (I can really see them wanting to do that !!) - then each engine would have to be verified on a dyno before each qualifying session & race cos I imagine it would be rather easy to put in some electronic 'limiter' prior to checking only to remove it on the start line with a laptop (as per Ducati's 'engine cut-out switch' farce back when Bayliss dropped it 3 times & the engine still kept running !!)*

* allegedly !!!!!