SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 15-04-14, 10:07 AM   #91
PyroUK
Mega Poster

Default Car hit my bike over - whilst parked in a M/C only bay!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkid View Post
Wow I'm astonished they just took her word for it!

Just saw this reply! Yeah I know shocking service there from LV.

Great news on getting the check through though!

Oh and possibly, your insurance company could of they can be rrrrs'd attempt to lay charges of fraud. Technically if it could be proven he has offended under s2 & 3 of the fraud act. He has misrepresented the facts to his insurer and he has failed to disclose material facts to his insurer. Both of which exposed another (you) to the risk of loss.

The great thing about the fraud act is that he is guilty of the offence even if unsuccessful.

But your insurers will need to bothered to try and investigate and build a strong enough case to present to the police.

If you are THAT bothered by it you could go for a civil prosecution, the burden of proof is lower, but if you lose you will have to pay your costs etc.

I would say that on balance you are in the best possible situation. You're getting paid and it's not on your policy. Take the money and run as they say!
Old 15-04-14, 10:34 AM   #92
dkid

Yeah I'm just happy I'm getting my bike repaired at no cost to myself.

The TP is going to have increased premiums as a result of this so hopefully he'll think twice before parking like a to$$er next time.
Old 15-04-14, 08:48 PM   #93
Red Herring
Mega Poster

Default Re: Car hit my bike over - whilst parked in a M/C only bay!

Nice result mate, really pleased for you. I love it when low life get caught out and bought to book. Still think he should have been stuck on as well though.
Red Herring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-14, 08:54 PM   #94
dkid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Herring View Post
Nice result mate, really pleased for you. I love it when low life get caught out and bought to book. Still think he should have been stuck on as well though.

Cheers for all the advice RH, it was invaluable!

The collision tracker is logged with the police so what they'll do is up to them I guess. I'm just pleased the bike will be back looking good as new ASAP
Old 15-04-14, 09:25 PM   #95
DJFridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkid View Post
Yeah I'm just happy I'm getting my bike repaired at no cost to myself.

The TP is going to have increased premiums as a result of this so hopefully he'll think twice before parking like a to$$er next time.
It might affect yours too. When you get a quote, one of the questions asked is always, "Have you had any sort of accident, regardless of whether a claim was made?" If it wasn't going to influence the price of your insurance, why ask?
Old 15-04-14, 09:36 PM   #96
ChrisCurvyS

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJFridge View Post
It might affect yours too. When you get a quote, one of the questions asked is always, "Have you had any sort of accident, regardless of whether a claim was made?" If it wasn't going to influence the price of your insurance, why ask?
True but having just been through the process myself after a no-fault crash, i got quotes on a Yamaha Fazer 1000 from £130 fully comp - about a fiver more than i was paying for the SV with half the power. So it can't count for that much.
ChrisCurvyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-14, 09:40 PM   #97
dkid

By avoiding a claim through my policy and going direct to the third parties insurance company, I hope I have minimised the effect on my future premiums. Don't think there was a better course of action unless the TP had offered to pay cash without involving the insurance but that was never an option here.
Old 15-04-14, 09:52 PM   #98
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJFridge View Post
and who the fook is going to admit to an accident where no claim was made?

"Errr would you like them in chronological order, pain order or ascending order of rearrangement of road furniture..."

Old 15-04-14, 10:32 PM   #99
Red Herring
Mega Poster

You think that's bad but there was a time when they tried to make us declare all our work "incidents" to our private insurance companies. I'd have been on the phone to them on a weekly basis....!
Red Herring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-14, 11:03 PM   #100
Matt-EUC
Mega Poster

That seems a bit unfair, all things considered. People ram/tag police cars all the time in pursuits (if the telly shows are anything to go by)
I saw a guy (on telly) pull out of the way of a traffic car with blues and twos on, on a dual carriage way then pull into the side of him for no reason. The road was totally clear in front and behind. They guy then tried to claim the policeman hit him!

White 650 V-Strom
-No mods
Blue curvy 650 (OMFG I FIXED IT!!!)
-200mm Delkevic Stubby.
Matt-EUC is offline   Reply With Quote