SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Closed Thread

Old 20-07-06, 08:40 PM   #91
carty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon from Bristol
It is proved that music affect`s one`s emotions, increases arousal in terms of alertness and excitement and also leads to various physiological changes in the person. In a psychology experiment, it was found that listening to moderate type of music increased one`s normal heart beat, whilst listening to rock music the heart beat increased even further, yet people claim that music has no effect.

All these affects could and do make one stray from the rememberance of God. Islam basically is about acknowleging, remembering and just being grateful to him as much as one can. Music in all its form may distract a person from remembering his creator.Jon from Bristol
Erm, don't theme park rides affect your emotions, increase your arousal and lead to physiological changes? If you think they don't, go on Air or Oblivion! Sorry but this 'no music' thing is boll*cks if that's the only argument against it! I would have thought the furthest thing from a persons mind when in a theme park is 'remembering his creator'. I could understand them not wanting Christina Aguilera warbling 'Dirrty' in the background but a bit of light pan-pipes surely couldn't hurt?!

Old 20-07-06, 09:51 PM   #92
Jon from Bristol

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartwrim
Quote:
It is proved that music affect`s one`s emotions, increases arousal in terms of alertness and excitement and also leads to various physiological changes in the person. In a psychology experiment, it was found that listening to moderate type of music increased one`s normal heart beat, whilst listening to rock music the heart beat increased even further, yet people claim that music has no effect.

All these affects could and do make one stray from the rememberance of God. Islam basically is about acknowleging, remembering and just being grateful to him as much as one can. Music in all its form may distract a person from remembering his creator.Jon from Bristol
Erm, don't theme park rides affect your emotions, increase your arousal and lead to physiological changes? If you think they don't, go on Air or Oblivion! Sorry but this 'no music' thing is boll*cks if that's the only argument against it! I would have thought the furthest thing from a persons mind when in a theme park is 'remembering his creator'. I could understand them not wanting Christina Aguilera warbling 'Dirrty' in the background but a bit of light pan-pipes surely couldn't hurt?!

Yes you are right, but you dont go to theme parks everyday do you? Or do you?

On the other hand music infiltrates our lives everyday in so many ways. They play it in supermarkets to lul you into the buying mood. They play it on advertisements on tv to make you buy flash cars and bigger and better things. Even walking down the street you get an earful from cars with their boom boxes. Music is like a drug in a way. People use it to help themselves forget, to help them sooth away their cares. All these things distracts from what is the most important thing to a muslim...namely God. This is how it is to a Muslim. Its not boll*cks as you so put it, its how it is, was and always will be.

Jon from Bristol

Old 20-07-06, 10:24 PM   #93
Ed

Quote:

On the other hand music infiltrates our lives everyday in so many ways. They play it in supermarkets to lul you into the buying mood. They play it on advertisements on tv to make you buy flash cars and bigger and better things. Even walking down the street you get an earful from cars with their boom boxes. Music is like a drug in a way. People use it to help themselves forget, to help them sooth away their cares. All these things distracts from what is the most important thing to a muslim...namely God. This is how it is to a Muslim. Its not boll*cks as you so put it, its how it is, was and always will be.

Jon from Bristol
Well do you really think that most people think about God all the time? Whichever God you might worship, that is? Even as a memebr of the CofE, I don't... Might be all that matters to a Muslim, but it ain't all that matters to others. Life would be very very boring if we did, we might as well ask all the mullahs to come over and teach us how to live it up. How you live is entirely up to you, don't expect others to comply.

If AT wants to hire out to Muslims, I really can't see what all the fuss is about. They hire out to other groups, what is the problem? The fact that they cancelled a wedding party - well is this really relevant?

I can't see how anyone can be offended over this, I can't see it at all. But the profile this is getting - as stated by others, it's become a Muslim bashing exercise. Regrettable, IMHO.

Old 20-07-06, 10:33 PM   #94
Lissa
Just Ballast
Mega Poster

As an atheist I find all this puffing and posturing over religion half amusing and half sad.

I don't get offended by anyone choosing to belive in God...............what DOES offend me is them trying to push their religious beliefs, customs and prejudices onto me.

I wouldn't go around trying to stop people believing in God ( whatever his/her name may be) so in return I would like them not to try to make me conform to their religious strictures.

I'd Rather Have Two Big Bangs Than Four Little Strokes
Old 20-07-06, 10:37 PM   #95
Jon from Bristol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed
Quote:

Jon from Bristol
Well do you really think that most people think about God all the time? Whichever God you might worship, that is? Even as a memebr of the CofE, I don't... Might be all that matters to a Muslim, but it ain't all that matters to others. Life would be very very boring if we did, we might as well ask all the mullahs to come over and teach us how to live it up. How you live is entirely up to you, don't expect others to comply.

If AT wants to hire out to Muslims, I really can't see what all the fuss is about. They hire out to other groups, what is the problem? The fact that they cancelled a wedding party - well is this really relevant?

I can't see how anyone can be offended over this, I can't see it at all. But the profile this is getting - as stated by others, it's become a Muslim bashing exercise. Regrettable, IMHO.

Hey! I'm not trying to tell anyone how to live their lives im just explaining to someone why Muslims have got a thing about music. Each to his own I say.

Old 20-07-06, 10:40 PM   #96
fizzwheel
Super Moderator
Mega Poster

Quote:
Each to his own I say.
That is by far and away the most sensible thing thats been posted in this thead.

K5 GSXR 750 Anniversary Edition
Closed Thread