SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Pennine Massive For those readers based up north.

View Poll Results: Right then, When do you guy & gals whant It..?
Feb 7th 2 10.53%
Feb 14th 3 15.79%
Feb 21st 16 84.21%
Feb 28th 9 47.37%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Old 16-02-09, 11:16 AM   #1001
missyburd

Default Re: Hardy Bikers Rideout 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul the 6th View Post
Ooooh no can't can't we all wait til april or something?
That would defeat the object of it being a HARDY bikers ride
Old 16-02-09, 12:23 PM   #1002
AndyBrad

Can i ask. do you think i could get away with wearing my leathers or would it be best to wear the textiles instead? i just a bit worried because the leathers have holes in and it might get chilly on a long ride?

btw folks, can i apologise now. Im slow and this will also be my first real m-way ride. Gulp..... Sorry.
Old 16-02-09, 12:28 PM   #1003
Quiff Wichard
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyBrad View Post
Can i ask. do you think i could get away with wearing my leathers or would it be best to wear the textiles instead? i just a bit worried because the leathers have holes in and it might get chilly on a long ride?

btw folks, can i apologise now. Im slow and this will also be my first real m-way ride. Gulp..... Sorry.

textiles!! deffo..

leathers look cool.. but they are too cool.. youwill freeze.!

or leathers with thermals and a fleece over the top! is warmer. but not water proof.. I much prefer my leathers but textiles are so much warmer and more versatile.

in terms of your riding- ride for YOU.. dont be ashamed/embarrassed- feel the need to keep up!!. no one will leave you.. no one will judge you- ride for yourself.. you will love it..

pop on the AR threads. from this year and last year or any rideout in the rideout section and see the "rules" / advice.. or search group riding on the forum search tab.. group riding is a bit different than on your own. I love it personally but it takes a little adjusting.. if I have time I will try find the info I am looking for and pm it ya..

all this and me not even coming !! ..

ride safe all of you- lots of pics please

Last edited by Quiff Wichard; 16-02-09 at 12:38 PM.
Quiff Wichard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-09, 12:31 PM   #1004
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

OK regarding the motorway, we will be doing a steady speed with a load of us, just do what everyone else does and chill out.

regarding being left behind... I have ridden with you before andy and you are not a slow rider, you will have no trouble keeping up. Also, there is a tame davepreston doing TEC, so noone will be getting left behind.
Old 16-02-09, 12:47 PM   #1005
Quiff Wichard
Mega Poster

stolen off Pete from Marches meander thread.

(apologies Chris if derail or if not in agreeance with any of the points) .. just an idea for you Andy

TEC. Tail End Charlie. Last man who should always be at the back.

Drop Off Rider. Somebody stopped at a junction who points you in the right direction. Might be coming up through the pack although Ed has said second man drop off which means if you are directly behind the leader and there is a direction change you should stop safely but visibly at the junction and point the way for the others until the TEC has acknowledged you.

Rideout tips and ideas

Introduce yourself to the ride organiser and swap moby numbers with him and at least 1 other participant

Full tank of gas or as near as is practically possible.

Tyre pressures checked and in good condition.

Breakdown cover. Check if your bike is covered in the event of an accident or breakdown. Full recovery is best. And make sure you have contact numbers for them.

ICE (In case of emergency numbers) These should be in your phone under that heading. Should someone need to be contacted on your behalf.

Map. If you haven't got proper ones then rip out the page(s) of an old map book, or get a photocopy, or print one off the internet. It is NOT the responsibility of the organiser to get you home.

Waterproofs. Just because it's sunny doesn't mean it's gonna stay so.

If you're using a dark visor, bring your clear one as well.

DO Keep an eye on your mirrors.

DO Ride responsibly.

DO Stagger your position on the road so as to maximise forward
observation and braking distances.

DO ENJOY YOURSELF

DON'T Do anything you're not comfortable with. It's not a race .

DON'T Follow too close to the bike in front and don't fixate on them.

DON'T Assume the rider in front knows what he's doing.

DON'T Stop if one of the group get pulled over.

DON'T Worry about keeping up and what the others might think.

DON'T CRASH! __________________
Old 16-02-09, 12:58 PM   #1006
AndyBrad

Ok cool guys, Just a bit scared tbh.... though im sure it will be fine. Ill dig the textiles out then (boooo hiss) although i know it makes scense.
Old 16-02-09, 04:13 PM   #1007
ThEGr33k

Ah dont be scared... You'll be fine. Im slow anyway

As for bits and bob's. I think ill bring a foot pump along, as well as my nice pressure gauge so we can check some pressure's should we need to... though I would urge people to do this before they set off
Old 16-02-09, 04:50 PM   #1008
dizzyblonde
Da Cake Boss
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyBrad View Post
Ok cool guys, Just a bit scared tbh.... though im sure it will be fine. Ill dig the textiles out then (boooo hiss) although i know it makes scense.
i'll be dressed like a michelin man, so I might scare you in that way, other than that, the rides not about scaring folk

P.s, to everyone who my be riding behind me at any point, please please do not ride too close, you will get on my t1ts, if you want to overtake, just go for it, I won't be offended, I'll be more offended by you riding up my butt end I get very un-nerved by close up riding, if its a car, they get the f off u w$nker signal

Hovis 13.8.75-3.10.09 Reeder 20.7.88-21.3.12
dizzyblonde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-09, 04:52 PM   #1009
ThEGr33k

How close is close? Was I too close on the last ride out? I was trying not to be but I dint want to be so far away as to make overtaking too hard... bah
Old 16-02-09, 04:57 PM   #1010
dizzyblonde
Da Cake Boss
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThEGr33k View Post
How close is close? Was I too close on the last ride out? I was trying not to be but I dint want to be so far away as to make overtaking too hard... bah
can't remember seeing you too close, but i did have a harsh word with someone with a red pointy for practically sitting on my pillion seat once on a ride out. I wouldn't mind but in most cases I wave my hand over my helmet or to the side, to try and give them an idea its ok to feck off past, or indeed move over, but alas theres sometimes someone who doesn't notice. The last one that did it, I seem to remember having to touch my brake all the time just to make the light flash on, but the still didn't get the message.

I'm quite looking forward to this now

Hovis 13.8.75-3.10.09 Reeder 20.7.88-21.3.12
dizzyblonde is offline   Reply With Quote