SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 18-11-10, 12:00 PM   #1011
barwel1992

Default Re: The MTB thread

so what cranks ECT are you lot actually running ?

i have SAINT crank, xt shadow mech with deor shifter, blackspire DS-1 chain guide

hmm need the new SAINT BB as mines pants because the chain guide fits behind the cup it dosn't quite fit right, the new saits Bottom brackets have longer threads to take my type chain guide

Last edited by barwel1992; 18-11-10 at 12:02 PM.
Old 18-11-10, 12:19 PM   #1012
Luckypants
Mega Poster

My new bike is SLX throughout. Stuff will be changed only when it breaks / wears out.

My Marin hardtail is Deore-LX, BB changed for an XT one when the original wore out, Ritchey SPD pedals about to be swapped for some cheapo Crank Bros Candy X for compatibility with the cleats for my new bike.

I was tempted to buy bling Crank Bros upgrade pedals for the Trek and put the Candy C pedals off it on the Marin, but reminded myself I do not have the skill/nerve/legs to justify my Trek, let alone a blinged up version! (plus I'm tight)
Snow Plough Appreciation Society - Member #3

Luckypants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-10, 12:20 PM   #1013
Venom

Quote:
Originally Posted by barwel1992 View Post

i have SAINT crank, xt shadow mech with deor shifter, blackspire DS-1 chain guide

hmm need the new SAINT BB as mines pants because the chain guide fits behind the cup it dosn't quite fit right, the new saits Bottom brackets have longer threads to take my type chain guide
I have a XC/trail full susser. Still mostly on my original groupset components.

Truvativ Five D cranks, Deore LX mechs/shifters. Only changed the cassette and chain due to wear for SLX and SRAM respectively.

Want to change my 9 spd chainset for a 10 spd SLX chainset when something breaks.

Handlebars, stem, wheels, forks, seatpost, saddle, rear dropouts, etc have all been upgraded for lighter stuff though.
Old 18-11-10, 12:26 PM   #1014
barwel1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckypants View Post
My new bike is SLX throughout. Stuff will be changed only when it breaks / wears out.

My Marin hardtail is Deore-LX, BB changed for an XT one when the original wore out, Ritchey SPD pedals about to be swapped for some cheapo Crank Bros Candy X for compatibility with the cleats for my new bike.

I was tempted to buy bling Crank Bros upgrade pedals for the Trek and put the Candy C pedals off it on the Marin, but reminded myself I do not have the skill/nerve/legs to justify my Trek, let alone a blinged up version! (plus I'm tight)
ahh pedals are where i save money mine cost £12 lol, i had DMR V12 magnesium ones but destroyed them so now stick to cheepo one and replace them every 6 month's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venom View Post
I have a XC/trail full susser. Still mostly on my original groupset components.

Truvativ Five D cranks, Deore LX mechs/shifters. Only changed the cassette and chain due to wear for SLX and SRAM respectively.

Want to change my 9 spd chainset for a 10 spd SLX chainset when something breaks.

Handlebars, stem, wheels, forks, seatpost, saddle, rear dropouts, etc have all been upgraded for lighter stuff though.
how do you find the truvativ stuff? was tempted to put some of there stuf on my mums bike (new frame)

mehh 9spd is fine for me i only go down not up
Old 18-11-10, 12:50 PM   #1015
Venom

Quote:
how do you find the truvativ stuff? was tempted to put some of there stuf on my mums bike (new frame)

mehh 9spd is fine for me i only go down not up
The cranks are very solid, although they're covered in scratches from rock strikes and crashes. The BB is a bit rusty on the outside but still smooth. My seatpost is now a Truvativ Team Noir carbon filament post, too early to tell if it's rubbish and disappointingly it only shaved 70g off my aluminium one.

Truvativ is just another branch of SRAM, so they're actually a huge company. Can't say if their stuff would be better than any others performance wise, but the crank I have is pretty reliable.
Old 18-11-10, 01:01 PM   #1016
barwel1992

Quote:
The cranks are very solid, although they're covered in scratches from rock strikes and crashes. The BB is a bit rusty on the outside but still smooth. My seatpost is now a Truvativ Team Noir carbon filament post, too early to tell if it's rubbish and disappointingly it only shaved 70g off my aluminium one.

Truvativ is just another branch of SRAM, so they're actually a huge company. Can't say if their stuff would be better than any others performance wise, but the crank I have is pretty reliable.
thats the word(s) i was hoping to hear

mum only rides XC/trail/road so should do the job
Old 18-11-10, 08:00 PM   #1017
northwind
Mega Poster

This link makes me feel a wee bit ill every time I look at it...
http://www.nofussevents.co.uk/event/.../1810/#entries

I'm going downhill racing . But not just normal downhill racing, oh no, that's not stupid enough. Endurance downhill racing, to see how many times you can do the world cup course at Fort William in a day...

"As one of the longest and most physically demanding courses on the international mountain bike race circuit, riders of this gruelling event will need physical strength, quick reflexes, superb bike control and an unerring eye for the right line as they speed down the 2.82km track. They will also need huge amounts of stamina in order to ride the track as many times as possible in six hours!"

So that's me ****ed then

Quote:
Because I'm a gigantic tart, XTR cranks on both the proper bikes (bought used and fitted with bashrings and Deore and SLX rings though) and X9 shifters and mechs all round. The Hemlock's got a stinger chain device to keep the chain in place better when it gets rough, since it still runs a double. Oh and the rigid has a single-ring SLX setup with X5 on it and just a chain device on front but it doesn't count
But we're oh so easily swayed"
northwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-10, 08:21 PM   #1018
barwel1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by northwind View Post

I'm going downhill racing . But not just normal downhill racing, oh no, that's not stupid enough. Endurance downhill racing, to see how many times you can do the world cup course at Fort William in a day...

"As one of the longest and most physically demanding courses on the international mountain bike race circuit, riders of this gruelling event will need physical strength, quick reflexes, superb bike control and an unerring eye for the right line as they speed down the 2.82km track. They will also need huge amounts of stamina in order to ride the track as many times as possible in six hours!"

So that's me ****ed then
foook that lol

Quote:
Because I'm a gigantic tart, XTR cranks on both the proper bikes (bought used and fitted with bashrings and Deore and SLX rings though) and X9 shifters and mechs all round. The Hemlock's got a stinger chain device to keep the chain in place better when it gets rough, since it still runs a double. Oh and the rigid has a single-ring SLX setup with X5 on it and just a chain device on front but it doesn't count
flash fit what are the xtr like compared to the saint stuf ?
Old 18-11-10, 08:36 PM   #1019
Venom

Quote:

So that's me ****ed then
That sounds pretty awesome. The record in 12 hours is a vertical 27,365m drop in Châtel, France which is 65 descents.

Go Northy, you can beat it!
Old 18-11-10, 08:39 PM   #1020
northwind
Mega Poster

Dunno mate, never used Saint. XTR's stiff and light and seems strong enough, folk use it for DH racing after all. The fitting's a total faff though, you need special tools and a massive allen key, not ideal. You'd have to be mad or minted to buy one new but you can get the arms for around £75 used and then fire on cheaper rings.

Quote:
That sounds pretty awesome. The record in 12 hours is a vertical 27,365m drop in Châtel, France which is 65 descents.

Go Northy, you can beat it!
Er no Not really got a target in mind but the best at this event is 16 runs I think, if I can do half that I'll be happy!
But we're oh so easily swayed"

Last edited by northwind; 18-11-10 at 08:41 PM.
northwind is offline   Reply With Quote