SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 03-01-11, 04:17 PM   #1061
xXBADGERXx

Default Re: The MTB thread

Copter tape for under the Downtube , a metre or so if it is not a lot , stops the paint chipping and is see through , for around the chainstay you wrap self amalgamating tape , overlap it and it does a good job and looks better than an old tyre held on with cable ties

Last edited by xXBADGERXx; 03-01-11 at 04:28 PM.
Old 03-01-11, 06:14 PM   #1062
Specialone

The new bike...

Had to go and get an adaptor to blow the tyres up as it has the smaller festa (?) valves so picked up a helmet while i was there which allegedly has a third off it's price which ended up costing £29 but didn't really cost anything as had the voucher from earlier.
Old 03-01-11, 06:16 PM   #1063
xXBADGERXx

Presta Valves , I like the Boardman bikes , very good value for money . Some decent spec kit there Special
Old 03-01-11, 06:21 PM   #1064
Specialone

Just to get some riding done now as I'm pretty unfit, I have been playing football once a week for a few months so not heart attack material.

Oh and learn about off road as I've never really done it, well not since I was a kid on bmx's.
Old 03-01-11, 06:23 PM   #1065
Drew Carey
Not Fizzwheel
Mega Poster

Woooooooooo. Nice bike Phil. If you fancy a bimble out anytime on weekends then shout.

Hovis RIP Buddy - 13/08/1975 - 03/10/2009
"Feckinnnn Unluckkeeeeeeee"
Drew Carey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-11, 06:40 PM   #1066
xXBADGERXx

Quote:
Originally Posted by specialone View Post
Oh and learn about off road as I've never really done it, well not since I was a kid on bmx's.
Bum over the back wheel on downs and back brake only if you have to , try and stay off the brakes as the forward momentum will send you forwards and may unbalance the bike .... that`s the only advice I give , the rest you will have to learn yourself . Oh and around 40 PSI on the tyres if you are hitting MTB trails
Old 03-01-11, 06:54 PM   #1067
barwel1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by xXBADGERXx View Post
Bum over the back wheel on downs and back brake only if you have to , try and stay off the brakes as the forward momentum will send you forwards and may unbalance the bike .... that`s the only advice I give , the rest you will have to learn yourself . Oh and around 40 PSI on the tyres if you are hitting MTB trails
good advice that is, i run around 50psi in the rear and 45psi in the front but depends what trail or how hard i intend it ride
Old 03-01-11, 11:48 PM   #1068
northwind
Mega Poster

Tyre pressures depends a lot on the tyres and the rider, and what you're riding on too, no one right answer. Mine are usually around 25-30psi but then I weigh about as much as a bag of sugar.

The hardest part I think is unlearning the motorbike skills, some transfer- braking etc is very similiar- but others really don't. I got a wee bit of skills coaching with my trip to france and all i heard all day was "Lean the bike not the rider!"
But we're oh so easily swayed"
northwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-11, 11:51 PM   #1069
Specialone

Thumbs down Re: The MTB thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by northwind View Post
Tyre pressures depends a lot on the tyres and the rider, and what you're riding on too, no one right answer. Mine are usually around 25-30psi but then I weigh about as much as a bag of sugar.

The hardest part I think is unlearning the motorbike skills, some transfer- braking etc is very similiar- but others really don't. I got a wee bit of skills coaching with my trip to france and all i heard all day was "Lean the bike not the rider!"
No trouble there mate, I ain't got no motorcycle skills
I'm around 99 kgs so not light.
Old 03-01-11, 11:57 PM   #1070
northwind
Mega Poster

Wee bit more then Oh aye, the tyres it's come with are OK but they're kind of summer, racy tyres, so you're probably going to find they give you some grief if you find much mud regardless of what you do with the pressures. Quick though, very fast rolling so they'll save your legs!
But we're oh so easily swayed"
northwind is offline   Reply With Quote