SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 14-10-10, 09:36 AM   #101
-Ralph-

Default Re: Inline 4s

Quote:
Originally Posted by muffles View Post
My original point was that yes the IL4 would be faster at 8k - this point only came about because I was countering the "twins are better because of the low down shove" point (as in - why is low down necessarily good? Why is high up not good? It's implicit that it's not good in that point). Point to point to point
8k is not low down on either bike, it's midrange on an IL4 and peak torque on an SV. The SV is quicker at 4k.

Why is that better? One rider might think it is better, another rider might think it's not. It depends on how they like to ride.

Which is why I posted earlier

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Ralph- View Post
I think we've concluded this debate many times on the forum, and the conclusion is it depends how you ride it and what you expect from the bike.
Old 14-10-10, 09:39 AM   #102
simesb

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Ralph- View Post
8k is not low down on either bike, it's midrange on an IL4 and peak torque on an SV. The SV is quicker at 4k.
I wouldn't claim that 8k is midrange on a high reving IL4. The 'working' zone on my tacho is 8-16k, so I'd say 8k is fairly low.
Old 14-10-10, 09:44 AM   #103
-Ralph-

Quote:
Originally Posted by simesb View Post
I wouldn't claim that 8k is midrange on a high reving IL4. The 'working' zone on my tacho is 8-16k, so I'd say 8k is fairly low.
That depends what IL4 you are on. Its generally only the race replica 600s that rev as high as 16k. An Bandit 650 for instance red lines at 12500.
Old 14-10-10, 10:47 AM   #104
mikerj

Quote:
Originally Posted by muffles View Post
My original point was that yes the IL4 would be faster at 8k
"Faster" in terms of acceleration possibly (given the gearing advantage), but not in terms of speed.
mikerj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-10, 10:50 AM   #105
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

Quote:
I would say midrange is pretty well defined as being about halfway between tickover and red line.

Fact is you cannot use 8krpm all the time because it is peaky and sounds like you strangling a wasp... and at 4k rpm the twin has more instant throttle torque to use
Old 14-10-10, 11:05 AM   #106
simesb

Quote:
Originally Posted by yorkie_chris View Post
I would say midrange is pretty well defined as being about halfway between tickover and red line.
So assuming tickover at 1k for ease of argument, midrange on the SV is ((11 - 1) / 2) + 1 = 6k. On the Kwak it is ((16.5 - 1) / 2) + 1 = 8.75

Ergo, 8k on the SV is more than 30% above midrange, on the Kwak it is below by a few hundred rpm. But on neither bike would you use the full rev range when pushing on (except on v tight 1st gear hairpins).

Last edited by simesb; 14-10-10 at 11:19 AM. Reason: Bad maths
Old 14-10-10, 11:22 AM   #107
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

Quote:
So assuming tickover at 1k for ease of argument, midrange on the SV is (11 - 1) / 2 = 5k. On the Kwak it is (16.5 - 1) / 2 = 7.75

Ergo, 8k on the SV is more than 50% above midrange, on the Kwak it is almost bang on bar a few hundred rpm. But on neither bike would you use the full rev range when pushing on (except on v tight 1st gear hairpins).
When pushing on, on an open road, a sports 6 probably has more revs to use than an SV... but on a tight road... or even from useability stake in town or something... the fact that the SV makes a 600s 8000rpm torque from 4000rpm upwards is very useful. Makes the power very accessible.
Old 14-10-10, 11:35 AM   #108
AndyBrad

Quote:
Originally Posted by yorkie_chris View Post

Fact is you cannot use 8krpm all the time because it is peaky and sounds like you strangling a wasp... and at 4k rpm the twin has more instant throttle torque to use
agree...
Old 14-10-10, 11:37 AM   #109
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

But stir the gearbox and strangle that wasp... and a modern 600 will go almost as fast as a proper inline four
Old 14-10-10, 11:41 AM   #110
TazDaz

The only inline four I've ridden is a k7 gsxr 750, and I found it fantastic. I don't understand all this character bollox. The inline four felt more refined, smoother and easier to ride at low speeds. I reckon the 750 had as much midrange as an sv, easily.