SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 23-11-08, 01:30 PM   #101
Tim in Belgium

Default Re: The MTB thread

The brakes are back pedal, stop pedalling and put pressure in the reverse direction and it brakes. I presume they're hidden in the rear hub. It makes it interesting as you have to come to a complete standstill before putting your feet down.

Haven't been out on the MTB for ages
Old 23-11-08, 01:38 PM   #102
fadedhalo

used to race back in 93 - rode nationals 93 and 94 - good times.
picked up a 2008 hardrock comp a while back and am yet to get the damn thing muddy.

"You're not trying hard enough if you don't crash" - There's a term i havent heard used for a good few years. haha.
Old 23-11-08, 01:45 PM   #103
Law

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim in Belgium View Post
The brakes are back pedal, stop pedalling and put pressure in the reverse direction and it brakes. I presume they're hidden in the rear hub. It makes it interesting as you have to come to a complete standstill before putting your feet down.

Haven't been out on the MTB for ages
Oh right. That's weird, but cool at the same time, I wanna a go!

I went for a ride with Eviltwin yesterday, and according to ET we got called slow by a bunch of kids whilst tackling a trail with small tabletops (yeah, I didn't get any air on them, only got the front wheel up). Kids are so cruel!

I got pink and silver handlebar streamers in Secret Santa to accessorise my MTB so I might post a pic of my pimped ride in the future!
Old 23-11-08, 01:48 PM   #104
fadedhalo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Law View Post
I got pink and silver handlebar streamers in Secret Santa to accessorise my MTB so I might post a pic of my pimped ride in the future!
hey, me too!

haha
Old 23-11-08, 11:33 PM   #105
rob13

I had people asking me what I wanted for xmas. I went out and bought a set of Crud Catchers, a waterproof jacket and a Camelbak which was a bargain price. Looking forward to getting them on Xmas day and testing them out just after. Gives me a month to get up to speed in the garage on the Trainer. I might have to stick to XC though than forest trails as Ill probably fall off!

Still want a set of pedals & shoes but might get the shoes first and give it a month or so before I get some pedals. Havent been on the bike for quite some time and dont really want to be falling off too much in the first few rides.
I still need a good pair of MTBing shorts with the insert.

I also need the LBS to have a look at my Toras as theyre just not smooth at all.
Old 23-11-08, 11:38 PM   #106
SV-net

I MTB at least once a week and if I can twice.
I have Shimano padals and cleats but I had to take them off because it was killing my knees. I think that because I could now pull on the padals it was too much for my old bones to cope. So I have nice pedals and shoes but they dont clip in. I might give em another try maybe I was just being a fairy.
Old 24-11-08, 08:53 AM   #107
rob13

Sv-net, sounds like you need to adjust your pedals. You might find you're cycling with your feet inwards or outwards. Have a look at your setup and search on the net for the correct answers. If you're getting bad knees, it sounds like your riding position is wrong as clipless should be more efficient.
Old 24-11-08, 10:28 AM   #108
Jayneflakes
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV-net View Post
I MTB at least once a week and if I can twice.
I have Shimano padals and cleats but I had to take them off because it was killing my knees. I think that because I could now pull on the padals it was too much for my old bones to cope. So I have nice pedals and shoes but they dont clip in. I might give em another try maybe I was just being a fairy.
Hey there, I had the same problem with Shimano pedals, but with a quick switch to Time Attacks, knee problems cleared up in minutes.

Time have more float, are less harsh and look great. Well worth a try. Also the cleats will fit standard MTB shoes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlepeahead View Post
Jayne you're a Pussy Magnet
My bar swap and custom suspension

Buy my latest novel and help fund my addiction to strippers and Lego.
Jayneflakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-08, 12:30 PM   #109
Scoobs
Vipers Pillion Bitch
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayneflakes View Post
Hey there, I had the same problem with Shimano pedals, but with a quick switch to Time Attacks, knee problems cleared up in minutes.

Time have more float, are less harsh and look great. Well worth a try. Also the cleats will fit standard MTB shoes.
I got those as well because of knee pain. They are better, but still get twinges. I like being clipped in, but I am considering going back to flatties.

Scoobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-08, 09:09 PM   #110
northwind
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim in Belgium View Post
My Raleigh Strika had that too. Awesome for skidding Terrible for stopping.
But we're oh so easily swayed"
northwind is offline   Reply With Quote