SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 23-06-12, 09:50 PM   #101
missyburd

Default Re: Do you ride with fear?

Quote:
Originally Posted by agy View Post
Lol I'll go bankrupt buying levers I'd prefer not to practice dropping it
ah, there is an art to dropping one's bike gracefully tha knows....I've yet to break an indicator! (though I know I've said it now lol) ... broken/bent a couple of levers but nowhere near as many as I thought I would have

Obviously I would prefer not either but I'm just a tad too short in the leg for my SV, slight inclines and misplaced footing on crappy surfaces and she's down like a (graceful) sack of bricks

Last edited by missyburd; 23-06-12 at 09:51 PM.
Old 23-06-12, 09:59 PM   #102
-Ralph-

Cant disagree with anytging Sid said, but think the way it was out across was a bit harsh. Agy hasnt decided not to ride again, so the post clearly doesnt apply to her, and lots of new riders get to feeling the way she does. Some time to gain her confidence and discover the home truths for herself, whilst the rest if us sit back and provide support and encoragement - not too much to ask IMO.
Old 23-06-12, 10:12 PM   #103
Jammy

I guess i'll know when i get on my sv for the first time this week :/
Old 24-06-12, 02:01 PM   #104
daveangel

I always go out with the intention of enjoying myself and usually do. I would never go out if I was angry/upset as it might make me more prone to going beyond my limits which aren't that high anyway! The T-Shirt and Shorts wearing brigade, just let 'em get on with it. I only pity the paramedic that has to clear the mess up. 30 years ago my younger brother fell off a bicycle on some loose gravel, one lump went into his knee and stayed there until it was prised out, I was converted to wearing proper biking gear 6 years before I got my 125.

I ride a few of my father's old british bikes now & again, one is eligble for the Pioneer London to Brighton Run and that helps a lot, when you are on something with bicycle type brakes, you get good at reading the road ahead & I'll take any advantage it gives me on the SV.

'99 'curvy' SV650S, R&G Bobbins, Renegade Endcan, no anodised bling. .
daveangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-12, 05:20 PM   #105
Bordtea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammy View Post
I guess i'll know when i get on my sv for the first time this week :/
You hope
Old 24-06-12, 07:59 PM   #106
Sid Squid
No, I don't lend tools.
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Ralph- View Post
Cant disagree with anytging Sid said
About time too!
Quote:
Originally Posted by -Ralph- View Post
Agy hasnt decided not to ride again, so the post clearly doesnt apply to her,
I didn't ever say it was, and having read it back I don't think it does, it was an aside and It's on a related subject that has, in similar discussions, been touched upon before.
If an SV650 has a flat tyre in the forest and no-one is there to blow it up, how long will it be 'til someone posts that the reg/rec is duff and the world will end unless a CBR unit is fitted? A little bit of knowledge = a dangerous thing.

"a deathless anthem of nuclear-strength romantic angst"
Sid Squid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-12, 09:10 PM   #107
-Ralph-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid Squid View Post
I didn't ever say it was
And did I say that you said it did? Or are you also working on inference and assumption sir?
Old 24-06-12, 09:33 PM   #108
agy

Oh it would take A LOT more to put me off yes I was/am nervous but damn I love my bike sooooo much! I think about it and I miss it every minute of the day I'm not on it! If it ever comes to something that would put me off riding my bike then I don't know what I'd do other than die of heartbreak

I did get on the bike today after it rained. I thought I'll face the puddles in the sun at least so a small step. I nearly had a heart attack when I arrived at St Thomas's and saw the state of the car park.... pot hole upon pot hole, puddles, random bits of tarmac sticking out, wonky speed humps... you name it it was there! Including something that looked like an ice rink! Phew... survived! LOL
Old 25-06-12, 09:25 AM   #109
Specialone

Hey Agy, when you're riding slowly over rough car parks or roads etc, its not a crime to put your feet down, if the surface is really bad I'll have my feet just skimming the ground so if it does go a bit skewy, I can put a foot down to stabilise it.

Bikes can cope with a suprisingly high amount of crap on the roads, it's normally us that limits them, obviously fast cornering on loose stuff isn't gonna work too well but in a straight line without tensing up and making any sudden corrections or movements, the bike will just plough through it.

In the future I'd recommend an off road riding school day, it will get you used to rough roads and the sensation of the bike moving around under you, it will stop you panicking so much when face with not so smooth roads IMO.
Old 25-06-12, 10:09 AM   #110
-Ralph-

Quote:
Originally Posted by specialone View Post
In the future I'd recommend an off road riding school day
+1, I thought this, but also thought I'd posted enough about ROSPA already.