SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 27-04-09, 05:38 PM   #101
Baph

Default Re: This new (old its been mentioned before) 50/20mph speed limit think

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThEGr33k View Post
Its the National speed limit sign, not going to be replacing the signs... Sigh!
Hold on, I haven't read anywhere that the national speed limit will be reduced (single or dual carriageway) wholesale.

Currently, a single carriageway is 60mph, dual is 70mph.

From what I've read, only certain roads/areas will be reduced to 50mph, not everywhere. Therefore how can they potentially have two parts of the same road, with the same signs, yet a different speed limit?

That would be completely unenforceable.
Old 27-04-09, 05:45 PM   #102
ThEGr33k

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baph View Post
Hold on, I haven't read anywhere that the national speed limit will be reduced (single or dual carriageway) wholesale.

Currently, a single carriageway is 60mph, dual is 70mph.

From what I've read, only certain roads/areas will be reduced to 50mph, not everywhere. Therefore how can they potentially have two parts of the same road, with the same signs, yet a different speed limit?

That would be completely unenforceable.

No, the plan is to reduce all single track to 50mph. If the local council can put a case forward for having a 60mph road then they can if they choose to. So id imagine itll be national = 50mph... 60 sign = 60mph. At least thats how it reads to me and I have read a lot about this.
Old 27-04-09, 05:51 PM   #103
Woz

Quote:
No, the plan is to reduce all single track to 50mph. If the local council can put a case forward for having a 60mph road then they can if they choose to. So id imagine itll be national = 50mph... 60 sign = 60mph. At least thats how it reads to me and I have read a lot about this.
This is so they can keep existing signs. The choice to put up new 60 mph signs will be there but what are the chances of it actually happening?
Old 27-04-09, 08:08 PM   #104
ThEGr33k

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woz View Post
This is so they can keep existing signs. The choice to put up new 60 mph signs will be there but what are the chances of it actually happening?
Less that reasonable of course! This is why im VERY against it. All rubbish Grrr!
Old 28-04-09, 09:28 AM   #105
Ceri JC

I've not read the whole thread but M4 (three lane motorway) between Cardiff and Newport recently went from NSL (which it had only just returned to after almost 2 years of being a 50 due to "road improving" roadworks that haven't discernably made things any better) to a 50 for no particular reason. A possible "trial" for this scheme?

Driving at 50 on such open wide roads feels like you're crawling, never mind the 15 minutes of your time it steals of every day. Utterly pointless IMO.
Old 28-04-09, 09:34 AM   #106
gettin2dizzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceri JC View Post
I've not read the whole thread but M4 (three lane motorway) between Cardiff and Newport recently went from NSL (which it had only just returned to after almost 2 years of being a 50 due to "road improving" roadworks that haven't discernably made things any better) to a 50 for no particular reason. A possible "trial" for this scheme?

Driving at 50 on such open wide roads feels like you're crawling, never mind the 15 minutes of your time it steals of every day. Utterly pointless IMO.
Which bit ? Used to be my work route that, and no way should it be a 50. One of the best motorways in Britain that stretch.
Old 28-04-09, 10:07 AM   #107
Ceri JC

Quote:
Originally Posted by gettin2dizzy View Post
Which bit ? Used to be my work route that, and no way should it be a 50. One of the best motorways in Britain that stretch.
You know where there's that 50 advisory on the bend on the hill, the one that's 'S' shaped and climbing when going from Cardiff->Newport? It's that section of road. Interestingly, the 50 advisory is still up, despite being bang in the middle of a few miles of an actual 50 limit on either side.
Old 28-04-09, 11:14 AM   #108
ThEGr33k

Could well be a trial. Sounds like a bit of a joke. They seriously need to get a clue! Maybe they just want to catch a few more £60's?
Old 28-04-09, 11:39 AM   #109
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

My opinion of this is it will just make people seriously cynical of all speed limits. "well if doing 90 in a 50 is obviously perfectly safe then why shouldn't I do 50 in a 20?"
Old 28-04-09, 12:35 PM   #110
vardypeeps

Quote:
Its the National speed limit sign, not going to be replacing the signs... Sigh!
D'oh you stumped me on that one Nick!
But them does that mean that all NSL will change to 50mph?
Sod that, I'm getting a letter sorted.