SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 18-04-09, 11:58 PM   #101
-Ralph-

Default Re: To Ride Fast or Not To Ride Fast, That is the Question?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stradders View Post
The local club is full of really nice people who just go out for the fun of it and who enjoy the experience. There are no rules on speed or ability. The only rule of membership is that you need a bike. I know which subscription I am going to renew first next year.
You're already very welcome I'm sure to be a subscription free member of just such a club. It's called SV Ecosse. Try to get on some rideouts.

This is a good thread, I've not had much .org time lately so I missed it until now.

I've never really understood the off topic argument in a casual discussion thread. I understand it when there is something specific to be communicated or organised, in a business meeting you need to stick to the agenda and you need a chairperson/facilitator/moderator to help achieve that, but if a casual discussion in the pub goes off on a tangent, you don't tell the person changing the subject to pi$$ off to a different table do you? If we rigidly stuck on one topic in casual conversation we'd soon have no friends (or only those with a sleep disorder)! So I'm going to comment on the white line thing....

There are a lot of white lines where there shouldn't be, but there's also a lot where there is good reason for them being there, but whatever the circumstance behind the line, it's not necessarily dangerous to cross it on a powerful motorbike.

I don't think I've ever overtaken crossing a white line in the car, because most of the time I look at the road layout and I wouldn't want to, most of the time I agree with the white line.

Many times I've been waiting for a white line to finish in the car, then when it does, I look at the distance to the next hazard and think "Yeah right! Maybe if I had a Ferarri I could make that overtake safely... and decide to stay where I am.

On the bike I can cross white lines that I would never even have considered crossing in my 1.8 Vectra, in complete safety, with good visibility, perfectly able to pass and return to the left, in the distance I can see to be clear.
Old 19-04-09, 01:11 AM   #102
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

Hehe. I do like how one white line comment has sparked a discussion.. The major point being that road markings do not make an overtake safe or not...
Old 19-04-09, 11:21 AM   #103
Woz

I think what YC is trying to get at is...

Just because it's legal, that doesn't make it safe. And, conversely, illegal doesn't always mean unsafe.
Old 19-04-09, 11:22 AM   #104
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woz View Post
I think what YC is trying to get at is...

Just because it's legal, that doesn't make it safe. And, conversely, illegal doesn't always mean unsafe.
Heh, I was happy with pings interpretation of "argueing for the sake of it", but that'll do aye
Old 19-04-09, 11:40 AM   #105
dizzyblonde
Da Cake Boss
Mega Poster

The original post was a good read

Personally I ride like I ride, I don't jump to the plate to cartwheel out of my comfort zone. I get the pee taken out of me on a regular basis for it, by a couple of members on here that are rather close to me, its knocked confidence, and they think that they're just being jokey and don't realise what they are doing. I've ridden with others away from them and I've been complimented for the way I ride. Quite frankly I'd far rather keep myself upright than perform like a seal to suit others. The arguments I've had over it have been rather heated at times. What they don't realise is that they look a bigger and bigger d!ck in my eyes for trying to push me into riding faster. SORRY!

The thing I love the best is that the hot headed amongst us go zooming off into the sunset, and I don't follow. Then theres a set of lights further down the road in the distance and I just cruise on up next to them, and I haven't changed speed to get there.
I've been away on my own lately, as having an off last year(no matter small) tainted my view of riding so much I felt I was dangerous. I've been on a couple of rideouts inbetween that helped no end, but going on my own has done it. I'm back............and i'll do it my way. I'll still get to the same destination as you!

getting good at riding does not equate to 'riding with people faster than you' that my friend is a complete load of bollox

Hovis 13.8.75-3.10.09 Reeder 20.7.88-21.3.12

Last edited by dizzyblonde; 19-04-09 at 11:43 AM.
dizzyblonde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-09, 11:50 AM   #106
Milky Bar Kid

+1 - great OP and great post Dizzy
Old 19-04-09, 03:17 PM   #107
ArtyLady

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baph View Post
I think that's the point YC was making.
......I know by me there's double white lines on straight sections of flat road!! They exist purely to stop cars trying to overtake where they don't have the power to do so in the space available. A bike has that ability.

Just a shame that the safety markings have to be implemented for the lowest common denominator.
I agree with that - the times I have sat behind idiots in cages doing 35 in a NSL in a straight line which I could have easily overtaken a couple of times safely - but I won't cross the double white lines purely because I don't want to break the law (yes I am a wimp of the highest order )

Quote:
Originally Posted by littleperson View Post
havi.....
I have partner who rides far faster than I and will zoom off and then wait around til I pootle along and catch up. It doesnt bother him as much as it bothers me into feelin incompetent as to my lack of ability.
I passed my test a year ago, aged 43 then, and love to ride out but understand why you leave your bike in the garage if its all gone pear shaped
Same age as i passed mine, I found it very difficult to go from "car mode" (having driven one for 25 years) to "bike mode" - and the slightest negative comment can still shatter my confidence when after nearly 7 years I think I'm not doing bad for an old granny

Quote:
Originally Posted by aermacchi View Post
..... Lots of people have an ego problem when out on a ride with other people, if you are the slowest who cares? as long as you enjoy the ride at your pace thats what counts.
Point is you may not be the slowest - they may just be riding fast - badly!!

I got so demoralised by not being able to keep up with a group of people I had been riding out with (they would'nt even wait for you - just p1ss off into the sunset! ), that I got my old man to come out with us one day - he kept up with the fast ones for a while but soon dropped back as even he felt unsafe - the roads were varied but mainly rural twisties - anyway he reported back that their skills ranged from pure track riding to just flat out on straights then wobbling slowly round corners badly!

So now my confidence is back, I'm enjoying riding my ride and will be avoiding those people from now on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ping View Post

... had to borrow ArtyLady's bike to do the test on (which subsequently is the only bike I've ever -not- dropped).
Thank goodness otherwise I'd have missed my test!! (d'oh I forgot - I failed! )

I have never seen such sheer guts and determination to ride a bike in anyone - she just kept on getting right back on that bike! I'd have stamped my feet cried and given up!!

Yep - good post indeed Stradders, and a subject which I have myself been contemplating a lot lately - and have more or less come to the same conclusions as you

Last edited by ArtyLady; 19-04-09 at 03:19 PM.
Old 20-04-09, 08:59 AM   #108
Stradders

Dizzy,

+ 1 too. I have been out a few times on my own since last weekend and I have loved it. I have sat behind queues of cars with no pressure to overtake, but then when the situation has allowed (and I have felt comfortable) I have gone for it with nobody to hurry me along or for me to chase. It was the perfect way to spend a day.

I was out yesterday and the roads were full of bikers, each one with a friendly wave as they passed the other way. However, twice I was at the NSL and got easily passed, once on a solid double white. Each to his own I guess.

Ralph,

I have seen the SV Ecosse details on the forum and would love to take part, although work and distance are a bit of an issue. I maybe going to the CHAS rideout at Applecross on Sunday though. Fingers crossed for the weather. I'll be on my Sonic Silver SV650S and will probably be riding quite slowly, but I will still be having a great time.

When I wrote the initial thread I just wanted to pass on a few comments and opinions about my ride on the Saturday. I had no idea that it would receive such interest and so many views. This is without doubt the most read article I have ever posted. Last time I looked it had about 2300 views and over 100 replies. Thanks to everyone who has contributed. Please keep the replies and comments coming. It is nice to feel appreciated.

Safe riding to you all and here's to a fantastic summer. It is looking pretty good so far.

Stradders
Old 20-04-09, 09:42 AM   #109
Owenski

I've only read the first page so forgive if this is repeated somewhere.

Stradders mate, you've learnt one very valuable lesson about not getting into a biggest balls competetion with other riders. I fear thats when most people come a cropper. I agree that to get better you need to push your self but only for 10min or so out of every hour. The longer you ride on the edge the longer you push your luck, that said I'm glad your luck held out long enough for you.
Think about it! for all you know when people have a helmet on it could actually be rossi your tailing. *Don't ride to keep up, ride to arrive* <-- I like that its a good quote.

Although you've forgotten one HUGE lesson, if you have an off/near off you need to get back on ASAP. The longer you leave it the harder it gets, go home tonight and do a really common route for yourself.
Old 20-04-09, 09:46 AM   #110
fizzwheel
Super Moderator
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stradders View Post
I have been out a few times on my own since last weekend and I have loved it. I have sat behind queues of cars with no pressure to overtake, but then when the situation has allowed (and I have felt comfortable) I have gone for it with nobody to hurry me along or for me to chase. It was the perfect way to spend a day.
Biking is all about freedom, freedom to do what I want when I want to do it. I have enough pressure and stress in my life and I dont need ti when I'm on the bike and thats why I like riding on my own.

K5 GSXR 750 Anniversary Edition
fizzwheel is offline   Reply With Quote