SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Racing and Paddock Chat The latest news, talk, and gossip from the world of bike racing, you can also discuss track days here too.

Closed Thread

Old 20-09-06, 04:56 PM   #1101
Peter Henry

Maybe no big surprise but James Ellison has been shown the door by the French Tech 3 team. Scoring less than a third of the points amassed by his more experienced team mate it is difficult to build a case for him to stay on the team next season. Off to WSB?

On the other hand it appears that Carlos Checa has impressed many with his efforts on the Dunlop shod M1 and has no less than 4 teams chasing his signature!

Those being Kawasaki, D'Antin Ducati, Fortuna Honda and the new team Ilmor. Carlos still has the hunger to be in the chase and my money would be on a deal being struck with Fortuna Honda, not least for the Spanish sponsorship the team has.(That hints strongly then that Marco is moving on to bigger things?)

Tech 3 are strongly rumoured to covet the signature of Alex de Angelis who will move up from the 250 class at the end of the season.

Old 20-09-06, 05:00 PM   #1102
Filipe M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Henry
Maybe no big surprise but James Ellison has been shown the door by the French Tech 3 team. Scoring less than a third of the points amassed by his more experienced team mate it is difficult to build a case for him to stay on the team next season.
Must have been from all that rehearsing for the Knox commercials...

Old 20-09-06, 08:38 PM   #1103
Peter Henry

Aussie race officials apologise to Hayden!

Oh my what a mother of f+ck ups at Phillip Island! The race officials have now admitted there original decision not to penalise Rossi with a drive through penalty was in fact incorrect!

The biggest annoyance in this situation and one that is beyond belief really...the decision was taken before they studied the video evidence! That was looked at afterwards when the procededings for that particular race had officially been closed!

What difference will those ill gotten 5 points make in a few weeks time? Takes a little of the admiration away for, in particular Rossi's brilliant chase down to gain just 2 points after his first corner fall at Jerez.

Read it here:

http://www.eurosport.com/motorcyclin...to967970.shtml

Old 21-09-06, 06:39 AM   #1104
Flamin_Squirrel

Quote:
Takes a little of the admiration away for, in particular Rossi's brilliant chase down to gain just 2 points after his first corner fall at Jerez.
Why? You could say Rossi was lucky not to get a penalty, but then he's had 3 technically related refirements this year. Swings and roundabouts imo.

Besides It's perfectly possible it wouldn't have made the slightest difference to the race result.

Old 21-09-06, 07:50 AM   #1105
Peter Henry

Jordan...Do you recall Donington 2003? The correct action taken by officials against Valentino over a similar infraction,did indeed make a difference to the result of the race.

Old 21-09-06, 08:27 AM   #1106
Flamin_Squirrel

Sorry, I wasn't clear in what I ment. I mean had Rossi gotten past Stoner a corner earlier or later the race result could have still been the same.

Old 21-09-06, 09:21 AM   #1107
Peter Henry

Jordan I agree with you.The damning thing though really is the fact that there are rules and regulations that govern this kind of incident,there should be no room for good or bad luck regarding decisions to come in to it.

With us reaching one of the most exciting climaxes to a season for some time, it does seem a pity for such an error to have been made.

*My comments are based on a sense of fair play rather than any preference for either Valentino or Nicky.*

Old 21-09-06, 09:27 AM   #1108
Flamin_Squirrel

Quote:
With us reaching one of the most exciting climaxes to a season for some time, it does seem a pity for such an error to have been made.
Yeah but if Rossi had just lost those valuble 16 points then the climax of the season wouldnt be very exciting.

Old 21-09-06, 09:43 AM   #1109
The Basket

Shame for Ellison. Don't blame him totally for what happened but his results have been poor.

I have said many times that Carlos Checa is a world class rider who would have been easy better than Gib on that Ducati this year. To compare Ellison on one season against Checa is a bit unfair. Maybe Ellison has been promoted above his station.

Hayden is the best rider because he has the most points. If he has the most points then he is world champion. I can reel off a few names of great riders who never won a GP championship but ain't that the way. Right time right place.

Old 21-09-06, 09:43 AM   #1110
SVeeedy Gonzales

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamin_Squirrel
Quote:
Yeah but if Rossi had just lost those valuble 16 points then the climax of the season wouldnt be very exciting.
Yep - this way it makes the next 3 races much better than Hayden having a 37 point lead over the only possible competition. Maybe they had that in mind when they made their decision: the overall spirit of MotoGP, rather than focusing on one rule for rules sake. Or maybe they're just huge Rossi fans.

Hayden's departure from the pit lane was way more dangerous than Rossi's overtake under a yellow flag. Why was there a yellow flag out anyway? It was for Checa, who'd gone off the track already (at least from the clips I could see) - so if Checa wasn't crashed on the track, why yellow flag it at all? It was clearly down to riding too hard on unwarmed tyres on the newly changed bike, not oil, etc. so no reason for the flag there either... anyone got any ideas?

Closed Thread