SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 28-04-09, 12:41 PM   #111
Ceri JC

Default Re: This new (old its been mentioned before) 50/20mph speed limit think

Quote:
Originally Posted by yorkie_chris View Post
My opinion of this is it will just make people seriously cynical of all speed limits. "well if doing 90 in a 50 is obviously perfectly safe then why shouldn't I do 50 in a 20?"
Yup. Most people currently do 70-80 in the 50 I described, exactly the same as they did before. Whilst this'll no doubt change once a few people get busted*, the feeling that the artificially low speed limit is silly/meaningless will remain. Consequently the people affected by it will now think it's safe to exceed the speed limit by 20-30 and may well apply the same rationale in a 30.
Old 28-04-09, 12:44 PM   #112
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

Also, since the highways agency/local councils know nothing about how you can drive, what's the point of stopping for those pesky red lights? And those double white lines can f##k right off.

Do they not want people to respect the law?
Old 28-04-09, 01:06 PM   #113
ThEGr33k

Quote:
My opinion of this is it will just make people seriously cynical of all speed limits. "well if doing 90 in a 50 is obviously perfectly safe then why shouldn't I do 50 in a 20?"
I see where your coming from. People will lose faith/respect for the law! But i think most people do understand the 30 speed limit and I for one dont bother speeding in them (well try not to) as if I did hit someone it would be a little upsetting... But when out in the country I think it should be a bit more lax. Sigh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vardypeeps View Post
D'oh you stumped me on that one Nick!
But them does that mean that all NSL will change to 50mph?
Sod that, I'm getting a letter sorted.
Well dual carriage ways and Motorways will be 70mph still as now so they will still be using the same signs... Make sure you do the Questionaire on the first page mate. Thats the first place to go. Then write your MP (chris has posted a nice letter to those). Then if your still not happy you can write a letter about the proposal (think all the links are in my origional post... might post up Chris's letter too.)

Cheers people, Lets try to put some pressure on!!!
Old 28-04-09, 01:11 PM   #114
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThEGr33k View Post
I see where your coming from. People will lose faith/respect for the law! But i think most people do understand the 30 speed limit and I for one dont bother speeding in them (well try not to) as if I did hit someone it would be a little upsetting... But when out in the country I think it should be a bit more lax. Sigh.

(think all the links are in my origional post... might post up Chris's letter too.) Do it.
When I was on Isle of Man, I reckon that FAR more people obeyed the 30 limit than over here. And NSL there is at your own discretion. I reckon that's a case in point for respecting your citizens and being respected in turn.

Of course, here we are subjects, not citizens.
Old 28-04-09, 01:38 PM   #115
TonyS

Smile Re: This new (old its been mentioned before) 50/20mph speed limit think

I'd be in favour of the NSL being discretionary, with a recommendation based on the type of road (motorway, dual carriageway, two-lane, single track, junctions etc.), fixed hazards and the weather.

It would work as follows.
  • If you crash (no matter what the cause) while exceeding the recommended speed then you were riding dangerously and lose your licence.
  • If you have a crash below the recommended speed then you did not read the road/hazards correctly and were therefore riding dangerously and get points on your licence.
This would place the onus on the road user to consider potential hazards and read the road correctly and would allow also people to ride quickly when it is safe to do so.

The police would then be free to concentrate on dangerous driving such as driving without due care and attention, tailgating, unsafe overtaking, inproper lane usage, etc. All of which would result in points on your licence. That would encourage better and safer driving.

Last edited by TonyS; 28-04-09 at 01:41 PM.
Old 28-04-09, 04:43 PM   #116
ThEGr33k

Upto a point Tony... the problem with the crash and lose the licence is two fold. recommended speed limits will be stupid low. Lower than current speed limits, so anyone who crashed at all would be out of a licence.

The other issue is that not all crashes are down to speed or caused by speed so losing your licence because you crashed while going quick dont make sense to me.

Other than that the unlimited limit is interesting... Unfotunatly it will probably never happen. Doh!
Old 28-04-09, 05:33 PM   #117
TonyS

Would set NSL recommended limits at:

(Dry / Wet)
Motorway 90 / 70
Dual Carriageway 80 / 70
Two lane 60 / 50
Single Track 50 / 40
Cross Roads* 50 / 40
T-Junctions* 60 / 50

*Where you have right of way (obviously).

If you crash, you generally haven't taken all hazards into account, for example hooning around a blind bend, or not considering possible actions of the other road users and reducing speed so you are able to take avoiding action.
Old 28-04-09, 06:19 PM   #118
Woz

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyS View Post
Would set NSL recommended limits at:

(Dry / Wet)
Motorway 90 / 70
Dual Carriageway 80 / 70
Two lane 60 / 50
Single Track 50 / 40
Cross Roads* 50 / 40
T-Junctions* 60 / 50

Define 'wet'.
Old 28-04-09, 06:22 PM   #119
gettin2dizzy

Quote:

Of course, here we are subjects, not citizens.
Until we get ID cards and boshed on the DNA database. Then we'll be 'accounts'
Old 29-04-09, 10:04 AM   #120
TonyS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woz View Post
Define 'wet'.
I'd use the French definition, fresh rain spots/spray on your visor/windscreen, I would also count standing water across the carriageway.