SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Tyres Post your own reviews, opinions and experiences on this subject.

Old 09-11-11, 11:30 PM   #111
amarko5

Default Re: Michelin Pilot Road 3's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckypants View Post
Sorry but I have to totally disagree with your assessment of the Storms. I have thousands of miles in all conditions on Storms and they are one of the best wet weather tyres around. I changed to the PR3s just for a 'change' and to see if I getter longer life from them. If you struggle in the wet with Storms, then changing to the PR3s wont help you because I find very little difference in performance, both are excellent in the wet.
if the pr3's wear like my tiger < Mike you won't think they're very good , 2000 miles down on rear and 2mm left to wear bars.

my friend on a tdm 900 destroyed them in scotland in 3000 miles.

the PR2's were more robust.

however on the up side , within 20 miles of fitting them on a wet day , i touched down the pegs both sides and a damp patchy hartside ( they really are that good.

they will step out on you if your careless with the throttle out of bends

but still the stickiest tyres i have used , in the wet.
Old 18-11-11, 02:10 PM   #112
metalhead19

Quote:
Originally Posted by amarko5 View Post
if the pr3's wear like my tiger < Mike you won't think they're very good , 2000 miles down on rear and 2mm left to wear bars.

they will step out on you if your careless with the throttle out of bends

but still the stickiest tyres i have used , in the wet.
Really? Ive had some PR3s fitted for about 3kish and still lots of tread left, not squaring (and ive done 2/3 500mile motorway trips).

I do agree about the wet grip. They seem fantastic in the wet! Im getting on much better with these than i did the storms strangely enough. But that is probably just my riding style.
Old 18-11-11, 04:12 PM   #113
Specialone

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalhead19 View Post
Really? Ive had some PR3s fitted for about 3kish and still lots of tread left, not squaring (and ive done 2/3 500mile motorway trips).

I do agree about the wet grip. They seem fantastic in the wet! Im getting on much better with these than i did the storms strangely enough. But that is probably just my riding style.
I've done over 3.5k in mine and there's loads of tread left, this includes at least 500miles on mways at high speed, also hot temps and a fully loaded bike in France for 2000 miles, they are wearing well I think, way better than my stock 020's.

I did feel the rear slip in the dry while giving it a handful of throttle on tightish twisties but nothing unnerving.
Old 20-12-11, 12:22 PM   #114
Cursed

Ive done 3.5k on my set of pr3's and they show hardly any sign of wear, not squaring and plenty of tread left. They are absolutely unbelievably good in the wet, barely have to go any easier than in the dry!
Old 24-12-11, 03:50 PM   #115
carelesschucca
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by specialone View Post
I feel a sensation of movement a little bit under heavy braking.
Just reading through this thread and I have PR3's on the Street and under heavy braking I get the same feeling not uncomfortable but it does feel as if the tyres move. Almost like the sensation of ABS kicking in on a car.

Other that that I really like the PR3's in all conditions they generally inspired me with confidence to push on. I've done just over 3,000 miles on them and there seems to be plenty of life left in them. I don't do track days but enjoy riding with a bit of spirit, you can get the rear to move if you give it the berries but its never dramatic its always progressive. The front has great feel and I like the way it turns in.

I only have the original tyres on the street to compare them too but they we're only slightly better in the dry but scary in the wet (its the first time I've replaced tyres before the end of their life)

Overall I'm glad I made the move to the PR3's, I'll keep note of the mileage and report back when I'm changing, which will proably be just before the GM (hopefully)

sv650s (gone) gsx-r600 (gone) Street R675 (now living in Inbhir Nis )
carelesschucca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-11, 04:19 PM   #116
punyXpress
Mega Poster

- almost ( I dont do spirited )
What were the ' scary in the wet ' tyres, Dean? I certainly didn't like the Qualifiers on mine at GM IV - changed them as soon as I got back and so glad I did!
160 mile bimble through Dales on Thursday and rock-steady all the way despite greasy roads. Nearly 3000 miles now.
Old 24-12-11, 04:37 PM   #117
carelesschucca
Mega Poster

Could well have been the Qualifiers (sure they were Pirelli) great in the dry but super scary in the wet, I can't remember exactly as I had no reason to want to remember them. Tyres that don't do wet and Scotland are not a good match...

sv650s (gone) gsx-r600 (gone) Street R675 (now living in Inbhir Nis )
carelesschucca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-12, 02:35 PM   #118
Scythe92

Any update on these? Found a nice metal shard in my front bridgestone earlier, so fancy giving these a go. My cousin works at Michelin too so I've got onto him for a nice ~50% discount..
Old 22-06-12, 12:47 PM   #119
Fozzy

My 06 had the d220s on it having only covered 3k ish. I dumped them instantly as they were horrid tyres and scary in the wet.

I have the pilot road 3s. I've done about 3k+ on them and they look excellent still no squaring or odd wear (50/50 fast road and duel track to work). Wet riding is not a worry and if anything they have more feedback in the wet than dry.

I've seen pr2 last longer (with me eyes) but don't have the wet grip of pr3s (owner of pr2 tested).

The front has these thin cuts and when braking hard these cause an odd feeling from the front kinda like abs kicking on a car. It's not bad but noticeable having tried pr2s.

Replacements will be Mitch or those new avons for me.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited by Fozzy; 22-06-12 at 12:51 PM.
Old 22-06-12, 01:06 PM   #120
-Ralph-

Mine have done a few thousand miles and still have plenty tread, but they are wearing funny on the sides of the front tyre. The rubber blocks between the thin horizontal rain channels as shown by red dots on the picture below, are wearing unevenly on an angle, so they appear and feel like a set of stairs running around the edge of the tyre.

I've not noticed any less grip as a result, though you do need to remember they are a sports touring tyre, not sticky sports rubber. They can start to walk if you push them too hard, especially the rear under throttle as Amarko posted above if you're being a bit too confident with the throttle exiting roundabouts or getting back on the gas after tipping into slow tight bends.

Last edited by -Ralph-; 22-06-12 at 01:10 PM.