SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 25-09-11, 05:11 PM   #1271
maviczap
Mega Poster

Default Re: The MTB thread

If you're keen on the Boardman and buy from Halfords, then register the credit card you're going to use, with Quidco, to get a further discount, well you'll get cashback from Quidco

You'll get 3% cashback

http://www.quidco.com/halfords/

Last edited by maviczap; 25-09-11 at 05:13 PM.
maviczap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-11, 09:30 PM   #1272
Drew Carey
Not Fizzwheel
Mega Poster

Howdy all, anyone off to the cycle show this weekend?

Hovis RIP Buddy - 13/08/1975 - 03/10/2009
"Feckinnnn Unluckkeeeeeeee"
Drew Carey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-11, 10:22 AM   #1273
pookie

heads up for aldi cycling gear in today http://www.aldi.co.uk/uk/html/offers...?WT.z_src=main
Now - 2010 Triton blue sv650s -Back to the future
pookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-11, 10:45 PM   #1274
rob13

Anyone advise whether I should go for a trail orientated 120mm travel bike or a more XC orientated 100mm travel? Its all down to the Boardman Pro/Cube Ltd Race at the mo, both under £900 too. Mainly for trail centre work with some stuff on the NYM.
Old 04-10-11, 08:11 AM   #1275
Luckypants
Mega Poster

I had a similar question when looking for my bike last year, I really wanted a Trek EX8 with 120mm suspension but couldn't find one in the sales, so ended up with the Top Fuel 8 with 100mm suspension. So far I have not found the limits of the bike - but I'm not that great at off-road riding. At Dalby forest it is completely at home, even on the black trails. IMO if you are coming from a hardtail 100mm will be fine, better even as there is less travel to feel 'weird' as you get used to it!
Snow Plough Appreciation Society - Member #3

Luckypants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-11, 08:56 AM   #1276
Drew Carey
Not Fizzwheel
Mega Poster

Agree with Luckypants......100 in the hands of most of us will be more than enough......

I however went for a 150mm travel bike......main reasons, I prefer the slacker geometry and I am also extremly ham fisted......if there are big rocks, I tend to just ramp through them and drop off them without being very "kind" to the bike, so felt the extra bounce would be beneficial.

To be honest I think it is down to personal preference, main thing, ride both if you can and see which feels better. Secondly, have a think about how smooth you are and whether you may "like" to try some more severe stuff in the future - if so then 120 may be a worthwhile shout.

Looking at the specs.....both the Boardman and Cube look good, one plus on the Cube is the Fox forks.......however the Reba 120's are very good. The boardman has Sram X9 2X10. The Cube has Shimano's variant.....the Cube also appears to have a semi decent wheelset included.

I know that doesn't help, as both have elements that are as good as, if not better than the other.

However, I cannot stress highly enough that you need to ideally try them. If it was me, I would take a serious look at the Boardman MTB FS 2011. £999 for a full sus, with Rockshox Sektor 130mm forks. The groupset drops to Sram X7, but I've not had an issues with my X7 stuff so far (except when I have damaged it lol). Yes the travel is now 130mm, but the bike will go anywhere. Just a thought.

Old 04-10-11, 03:04 PM   #1277
rob13

I was thinking Hardtail as its light, and most of my mates are on them. The Reba's on the boardman are dual air whereas the Fox on the Cube is solo air.

Unfortunately cant try them as Halfords dont do tests (although I did ride it around the rear yard for about 5 mins - hardly a test) and the Cube is the last one in the shop so ex-display but not ex-demo. Tough call really but I am looking at 2 well specced bikes with good discounts (14% on the Boardman and about 25% on the Cube)..
Old 04-10-11, 03:20 PM   #1278
mattSV
Mega Poster

Rob

I do not think you will be disappointed with either of them, they are both well specced bikes. Which one looks the tartiest

I already had a hardtail (Scott Comp Racing) , so I went for the Boardman Full Suspension - love it, and now only use the hardtail for bumming around on if I go camping.
2013 - 2016 Triumph Explorer 1200
2016 - Ducati Multistrada DVT S
mattSV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-11, 11:45 AM   #1279
G
Mega Poster

I have a Cube Acid at the moment, it was at the cheaper range of hardtails at £729. I've had it 6 weeks and the paint has rubbed off the frame in places and front outer chain ring is pretty much ready for replacement. It's going in for it's first free service on Friday and I'm hoping they will at least replace the chain ring under warranty as its now stupidly thin and missing quite a few teeth.

I finally stumped up the cash and ordered a 2012 Orange Five Pro today, it's going to be a long wait for that as the forks are delayed

Went for quite a few upgrades to...

Custom Colour Neon Yellow Ha mucho brightness
Factory RP23 Kashima rear shock
Maxle Swingarm
32 Float 140 Factory Fit RLC Kashima front shock
Hope Tech M4 brakes
Hope ZS Tapered headset
Hope Stainless Steel Bottom Bracket
RockShox Reverb seat post
Thomson X4 stem
Easton Haven Carbon bars
Fizik Gobi XM seat

The rest is standard spec, can't wait its going to be a beast. Probably going to keep the Cube for fannying about on an fitness.
Old 05-10-11, 12:34 PM   #1280
Drew Carey
Not Fizzwheel
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by G View Post
I finally stumped up the cash and ordered a 2012 Orange Five Pro today, it's going to be a long wait for that as the forks are delayed

Went for quite a few upgrades to...

Custom Colour Neon Yellow Ha mucho brightness
Factory RP23 Kashima rear shock
Maxle Swingarm
32 Float 140 Factory Fit RLC Kashima front shock
Hope Tech M4 brakes
Hope ZS Tapered headset
Hope Stainless Steel Bottom Bracket
RockShox Reverb seat post
Thomson X4 stem
Easton Haven Carbon bars
Fizik Gobi XM seat

The rest is standard spec, can't wait its going to be a beast. Probably going to keep the Cube for fannying about on an fitness.

Jealous...me....never......................MUCH

Hopefully will get a chance to see it on one the rides soon with DMC.