SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 07-01-14, 08:51 PM   #121
Specialone

Default Re: Police cause SV650 to crash...

Quote:
Originally Posted by daddyjob View Post
it was more the poor rider that caused the crash as has been mentioned-he failed to see the obstacle, reacted instead of responded, panicked and f'd up by getting target fixation.
Anyone else (I would like to think) would have used the front brake correctly and instead would have chosen to go round the other side of that bike, not between him and the copper . . .
My point is, just because you didn't crash at 90, 120, 180 mph doesn't mean the speed was correct for the conditions.
Old 07-01-14, 08:56 PM   #122
DJ123
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Specialone View Post
My point is, just because you didn't crash at 90, 120, 180 mph doesn't mean the speed was correct for the conditions.
Neither am I, speed in this case was a contributing factor but not the cause. Poor rider skill was the cause of locking up the brakes and poor planning. I am agreeing with Gav that he was going as fast as the others yet none of them crashed. He crashed due to poor riding skill.

BMW F800ST
DJ123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-14, 09:03 PM   #123
Wideboy
Evel Knievel
Mega Poster

Quote:
Love you Gav
it's too late for sweet talk, we are now virtual enemies

05 DRZ400E
RIP hovis
Wideboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-14, 09:04 PM   #124
Wideboy
Evel Knievel
Mega Poster

as for spank, well enough has been said about that one

05 DRZ400E
RIP hovis
Wideboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-14, 09:05 PM   #125
otaylor38

Perhaps next time he will stand just one step into the road and flag them down, that way the bikers might have felt they could slow down in more time. Rather than by that point.

Cant see him standing infront of a van thats doing 90mph to stop it like that. He'd be dead by now
Old 07-01-14, 09:09 PM   #126
Specialone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wideboy View Post
it's too late for sweet talk, we are now virtual enemies
I know you don't mean that sweet cheeks
Old 07-01-14, 09:25 PM   #127
Spank86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wideboy View Post
as for spank, well enough has been said about that one
You already tried to kill me once.
Old 07-01-14, 10:16 PM   #128
Red Herring
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by daddyjob View Post
Neither am I, speed in this case was a contributing factor but not the cause. Poor rider skill was the cause of locking up the brakes and poor planning. I am agreeing with Gav that he was going as fast as the others yet none of them crashed. He crashed due to poor riding skill.
He crashed because he was going to fast for the conditions, and the conditions include his obvious lack of talent. Appropriate speed selection is an individual thing.

There are several "causes" of the crash, or contributory factors as they like to be called, and sure speed was one of them, but so was the police officer, the fog and his mates ability to stop quickly under full control. Had any one of them not been there it wouldn't have happened.
Red Herring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-14, 10:31 PM   #129
Fordward

Quote:
Another scenario, going along a road, car in front slams his brakes on for no reason, you shunt it up the back, who's fault?
What if the car had pulled out from a side road give way line without looking and you shunted it up the side? Who's fault then?

What if a pedestrian walked off the pavement without looking and you ran them over? Who's fault then?

In both scenarios you had right of way and the other driver or the pedestrian have to give way.

Quote:
in the eyes of the insurance, absolves the copper IMO and places blame on the SV rider.
No, the copper was not running along the road and the bike took him out from behind. This is the same as the above two scenarios. The copper was not in the road, he walked into it from the side into the path of the oncoming bikers. The bikes had right of way.

Insurance wise fault would be on the SV rider, but the insurance claim is from the VFR rider against the SV rider, it doesn't absolve the copper of anything. Had the VFR rider binned it the copper would be at fault.

Last edited by Fordward; 07-01-14 at 10:50 PM.
Old 07-01-14, 10:45 PM   #130
Fordward

Quote:
Originally Posted by NTECUK View Post
Ok hands up.
Who's had a police officer jump out like that in the last 20 year's.
I've had a school crossing patrol do it. In a 30 limit he walked out 2-3 parked cars lengths in front of me, put his sign out with one hand and made an arms length stop sign with the other. All he could see was my roof over the top of the parked cars (all people carrier and 4x4), so with my eye level six inches below the roof I had no chance of seeing him. 30 mph is 44ft per second and the average car is 14-16 ft with perhaps a foot gap between each. Highway code stopping distance (yes I know they are out of date) is 75 feet.

Luckily I was only doing about 20mph (as that was the appropriate speed for the conditions, passing parked cars, school time) and I stopped in time. I still got charged with careless driving and spent a day in court to get a not guilty verdict.

Last edited by Fordward; 07-01-14 at 10:47 PM.