SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 25-04-10, 12:40 PM   #121
metalhead19

Default Re: "33bhp?" Yes "i dont believe you, I'll seize your bike and take you to court"

Quote:
Originally Posted by hindle8907 View Post
I know its MCN but ...... http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/Ne...icate-rip-off/

This is unlivable !!! i cant believe there are fukc wits out there up holding the law who don't even know it them self.

i would be taking this as far as possible if i were you ...

I am too on 33bhp and i don't have anything to prove its restricted ...... but it is and if i had mine impounded i wouldnt be happy as i wouldnt even beable to get to work ..... i work a good 24 miles out and start work at 7.30am most mornings.

Arhhh god this is Mad !!
The fact it says its a matter of retraining is carp! I think its a bit more serious then a simple retraining!
Im restricted to, have no proof other then i have the full power ECU at home....and more importantly NOT in the damn bike!

Last edited by metalhead19; 25-04-10 at 12:41 PM.
Old 25-04-10, 12:43 PM   #122
madcockney

Default Re: "33bhp?" Yes "i dont believe you, I'll seize your bike and take you to court"

I have been reading this thread with interest. First of all I don't think that we need to knock the police as a group. Where I live, North Wales Border, the police are always helpful and take matters on board and try to help. (Not talking about the stop the bikers policy, but that appears to be changing with the new Chief Constable.) Should I castigate all police due to one bad copper, or someone that got their facts wrong, etc. I know where I work, (not police connected), that there are some not up to it, but does that mean everyone is not. I think, as MBK alluded, we can do without the rants which don't help the situation, but try resolve these problems with common sense, a suitable means of resolving the issue, and a strategy to try to ensure it doesn't happen again. I think the coppers or old Bill if you prefer were in a quandary because they thought it looked too big, (but look at the Hyasung GT series they all look like 650s' but only one is), but they have no way of determining. Having said that in law you do not need proof so they should have just accepted that. They should have given the correct documentation, but if they thought FB looked so young they may have thought that he was too yuong and knowledgable to do anythign about it. Wrong but a poosibility. I am, personally, against this attitude that it is up to you to prove that this is legal or whatever. If there is a law then it is the legislative system that needs to prove it not the individual.

It may be that FB has to get legal representation if discussions with a senior officer do not prevail, but you also need to get this out there in the relevant areas and those include the MAG, BMF, Motorcycle News and Visordown. This will provide exposure and bring pressure to bear to how this should be handled, and it will not be down to one police station, force how they treat this. I think that it will come down to either as at present, but the police have to prove that the vehicle is over 33BHP, or a change in the law where some form of test or documentation is produced, but what happens when you want to deristrict? Another test. Incidentally this could have been proved by the police or FB squinting at the ECU and taking the part number if a pointy.

Incidentally I bet these were not traffic cops if not I am sure that they would have known the law, and as a very large percentage of traffic officers also ride bikes they would also know the ins and outs.
madcockney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-10, 12:47 PM   #123
metalhead19

Quote:
Originally Posted by madcockney View Post
First of all I don't think that we need to knock the police as a group. I am, personally, against this attitude that it is up to you to prove that this is legal or whatever. If there is a law then it is the legislative system that needs to prove it not the individual.
+1 totally agree
Old 25-04-10, 12:56 PM   #124
tigersaw
Mega Poster

I think when I read this thread from the start it said the bike was to be tested tomorrow? Rather than kicking off I'd be asking to attend the test so I can see how it was to be conducted, and taking with me any documentary evidence that it has been done, just in case the test is less than scientific. Surely the OP has something that demonstrates the fact - a receipt from the dealer with it mentioned, receipt for the work being carried out? Otherwise how does the OP even know himself?

I had a dispute last week regarding my knobbly tyre and the MOT - it was going to be failed due to being off road only, but I was able to demonstrate it was suitable despite not carrying the correct logo on the tyre wall. Shouting and complaining would not have helped, but a simple printout from the manufacturer was enough.
tigersaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-10, 12:58 PM   #125
hindle8907
Mega Poster

some people have restricted their bikes them self like me ..
i got a second hand ECU and popped it in. i know its 33 bhp coz i checked the Part number and i cant hit 100mph lol.
2010-Now -- 00 SV650s & 00 SV650n & GSXR 600 K2

Last edited by hindle8907; 25-04-10 at 01:00 PM.
hindle8907 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-10, 01:01 PM   #126
tigersaw
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by hindle8907 View Post
i know its 33 bhp coz i checked the Part number
So you can offer documented proof if challenged. Case in point.
tigersaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-10, 01:14 PM   #127
Mej
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by yorkie_chris View Post
Be very careful who you listen to. a LOT of people take the bollox that FI international SAY is the law AS law, which it most certainly isn't.

I have NEVER heard of a 'restriction plate' being used/supplied, never mind required!

Seriously, lawyer, soon! You got legal assistance on your insurance?
i had one of those plate (read sticker) on my SV which said it is restricted to 33bhp but i ripped it straight off!!

Last edited by Mej; 25-04-10 at 02:30 PM.
Mej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-10, 02:08 PM   #128
dill89

Flame i think this is ridiculous, and that you have been handled by an officer who quite simply got out of bed on the wrong side that morning.

it really isn't the Police's fault as an organisation, it's just the officer in question as to whether they want to be a prat or not. I was stopped last summer still within my restriction period, and they never once asked if my Fazer600 was restricted or not, then let me be on my way.

With regards to the restriction, the place i went to restricted my bike and then tested it on their own dyno, and gave me the dyno graph and also written proof that the bike was restricted.

Also regarding TigerSaw, i would also look to attend the testing of the bike, especially if the same officer has anything to do with it, as he seems to have it in for you for reasons unknown.... maybe hes just jealous that he didn't have such a big bike at your age??

Anyways i hope you get it sorted ASAP so you can get back to enjoying the freedom =)

Dill
Old 25-04-10, 02:35 PM   #129
Fishtits

To the OP - Were you asked and able to produce your driving license and insurance at the side of the road?
Old 25-04-10, 03:19 PM   #130
Flameboy

I've now asked to be there when the bike is tested, hopefully they'll it...