SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 02-02-12, 09:25 PM   #131
Specialone

Default Re: Could I earn a living?

Only use magnetic signs on your van if you want the paintwork pitted and to start going rusty.

It wrecks the paintwork in a relatively short space of time, when I first started out I had some, within 6 months it wrecked my paintwork, tons of little rusty pinholes in the paint appeared, I personally wouldn't use it again.
Old 02-02-12, 09:31 PM   #132
Bluefish

Also helps when you take stuff to the recycling centres, as ours don't accept trade waste, so he takes them off before he drops off his bags of cuttings etc.

That don't work round our way, they won't let you tip from any commercial veh without paying.
Old 02-02-12, 09:32 PM   #133
Tim in Belgium

Quote:
Originally Posted by specialone View Post
Only use magnetic signs on your van if you want the paintwork pitted and to start going rusty.

It wrecks the paintwork in a relatively short space of time, when I first started out I had some, within 6 months it wrecked my paintwork, tons of little rusty pinholes in the paint appeared, I personally wouldn't use it again.
If you fit clear stickers over the contact patches (where the magnets grip) does this still happen, or is the whole thing magnetic?
Old 02-02-12, 09:54 PM   #134
Specialone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim in Belgium View Post
If you fit clear stickers over the contact patches (where the magnets grip) does this still happen, or is the whole thing magnetic?

Ones i had were fully magnetic.
Old 02-02-12, 10:04 PM   #135
AZZ3R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lozzo View Post
it's a job getting them to cough up enough to just cover parts
I agree with this but I wouldn't agree to finding the parts for them. Yes I know it's extra work which can be charged for but, if everyone asked then it would be come a problem as your'e having to goto & from jobs & in the mean time look for parts, may turn into a headache.

The mobile Fixing is brilliant, I've got a friend who runs his own job in the back of a van. He's actually doing really well, he said it was quite last year but still managed to buy a 2nd van?

Persoanlly, I'd let the person your helping find their own parts.

Hope it works, out sounds like a great Idea.
Look after the customer & the customer looks after the business
Old 02-02-12, 10:08 PM   #136
Paul the 6th
Mega Poster

You could fit a vinyl patch slightly larger than the area where the magnet would sit, to protect the paintwork - and it wouldn't literally add about £2 to the price

Cbf600, sv650, sv1000, gsxr 750 srad, KTM adventure 950, gsxr 750 k1, gsxr 750 srad, fazer 1000, zx9r ninja..
Paul the 6th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-12, 10:23 PM   #137
Geese

In ireland there was a shop that was selling oil very cheap. What the owner did was buy it in a big drum. Then sell it by the litre.

Basically, you ride up with a container and filled it up and went on your way (after paying). The oil was sold cheap to get people to come see the new shop.

I thought it was a great marketing ploy.

You could get a lot of bikers to come up and see who you and your van this way.
Old 03-02-12, 06:03 PM   #138
Stuuk1

Quote:
Originally Posted by yorkie_chris View Post
Considering how things are going for me personally at the moment I am considering self employment.

Unsurprisingly this involves bikes, grease and spanners etc.

I am considering getting my car test passed and obtaining myself a 3 1/2 tonner, and setting myself up to do mobile motorcycle repairs and servicing, and bike transport. I don't mind any hours, or travelling, so long as it's paying.

Obviously I will need some manner of liability cover for this as well as business use cover on the van. Which at 21 and not yet holding a car license, will probably make my eyes water a bit.

I would need to cover overheads as well as £50 a week for me ma.

Throw your ideas in. Would anyone here pay someone to work outside their door? It would be a sight cheaper rate than dealers, perhaps a little less than the back-street small garage but not much.
Go for it, you have nothing to lose.

I would absolutely use a service like this, at the moment i use another guy from this forum and its a bit of a pain getting back from his place after dropping it off and then getting back to pick it up.

If someone could do it in my garden then i'd be on the phone right away, shame you are too far away!
Old 03-02-12, 11:25 PM   #139
Ed

...and you'd have another customer here