SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 09-09-14, 10:04 PM   #131
Phoenix22

Default Re: Bereaved family releases shocking video

That's a fair comment and at no point have i doubted the ability of anybodies riding skill or experience here.....I don't know them & have never ridden with them. All i am doing is commenting on what i have seen in that video, subsequent comments, and giving my opinions on it.

That was the whole point of the OP starting the thread in the first place surely to invite comment & debate?

Last edited by Phoenix22; 09-09-14 at 10:09 PM.
Old 09-09-14, 10:16 PM   #132
Fordward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix22 View Post
That's a fair comment and at no point have i doubted the ability of anybodies riding skill or experience here.....I don't know them & have never ridden with them. All i am doing is commenting on what i have seen in that video, subsequent comments, and giving my opinions on it.

That was the whole point of the OP starting the thread in the first place surely to invite comment & debate?
Didn't say you had. Good points well made. Cool beans!

Old 09-09-14, 10:20 PM   #133
NTECUK
Mega Poster

Debate is good. Focusing thoughts on what others would do. Experience of others and a system as discussed by Red. All good stuff
Old 11-09-14, 09:45 AM   #134
thulfi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biker Biggles View Post
How are you anyway?Fully qualified and let loose on Joe public yet?
Very well thanks BB and you? Yep been qualified for 2 years now and causing all kinds of havoc already
Old 11-09-14, 01:33 PM   #135
shiftin_gear98

I personally would like to thank everyone who has commented on this thread in one way or another. I have been riding for around 5 years now, but consider myself very much a newbie.

I have had a few shall we say close shaves, all part of the learning curve.
But if I can learn from others experiences and way broader knowledge then I am all for that. It hurts too much when you do it yourself.

I'm not getting any younger (38 years young) I don't bounce very well anymore.

So I value everyone's view, please keep them coming.

Big up OMO.
Old 11-09-14, 01:46 PM   #136
NTECUK
Mega Poster

I am sure if you can do allot of the things in the motorcycle road craft book, your can lower the chance of getting in such a bad situation.
I'm 52 but putting the effort in signing up with rospa. (wrong time of year in a way).Because I know I should ride safer.
Old 11-09-14, 02:00 PM   #137
Dave-the-rave

Slow down around obvious hazards. That's my view and it's how I ride. The junction on the left is an obvious hazard. The oncoming car maneuvering to turn into it is an obvious hazard. Together they make an even bigger hazard.

Don't make assumptions. Don't assume the oncoming cars intentions were clear. Don't assume his speed. Don't assume the junction on the left was clear. Don't assume there wasn't a hidden junction on the right. Don't assume anything about other road users and be wary of what you assume about yourself.

Do assume you can be dead in a heartbeat, or lose your legs, or end up brain dead. Do assume there's worse than dead. Allow yourself to feel vulnerable on your bike because you ARE vulnerable. We all take chances some more than others and we usually get away with it, but sometimes we don't, especially when another road user in close proximity is taking chances.

''Motorcyclists represent 1% of traffic yet account for up to 20% of the deaths and serious injuries on our roads. Motorcyclists involved in accidents are 40 times more likely to be killed than car drivers.''

http://www.bikelawyer.co.uk/bike-accident-statistics

Nobody sees it coming until it's too late. No point arguing about how to deal with it when it's too late.
Old 11-09-14, 02:31 PM   #138
NTECUK
Mega Poster

Don't put the fear in people too though.
I enjoy the feeling of freedom a bike gives.
Sarah caught this video on Facebook.
It did invoke a fair few conversations about my commute and the general hobby,relaxation ridding I do. (6000 miles a year +).
But you can only do so much.
Old 11-09-14, 03:06 PM   #139
thulfi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave-the-rave View Post
Do assume there's worse than dead.
So very very true.