SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 12-03-21, 02:09 PM   #141
Luckypants
Mega Poster

Default Re: Electric Vehicles

Just found out that a new charging hub with multiple chargers has opened at Forfar, provided by the council. Free to use at present, so cheap(er) motoring.
Snow Plough Appreciation Society - Member #3

Luckypants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-21, 02:22 PM   #142
Bibio
Mega Poster

so what do we do for an hour while car is charging?
how are inner city tenement occupants etc.etc going to charge their car?

this whole idea of 'charge point' electric cars is a complete farce as is going to cause nothing but chaos come 2033-2035.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-21, 09:31 PM   #143
svenrico

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibio View Post
so what do we do for an hour while car is charging?
how are inner city tenement occupants etc.etc going to charge their car?

this whole idea of 'charge point' electric cars is a complete farce as is going to cause nothing but chaos come 2033-2035.
Maybe it is all a way of controlling people's motoring - a network of motorway charging points but no leisure rides to out of the way places, they'll be thinking of banning petrol engines next !
svenrico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-21, 07:02 AM   #144
Bibio
Mega Poster

most people dont buy cars any more and instead lease so come 2033-2035 petroleum fuelled cars will go back to dealers and at that point people will only be offered electric powered vehicles. the returned vehicles will be decommissioned.

so in reality we have until 2035 at the latest before most vehicles will be electric. unrealistic deadline.

wooohhooo...

whoever thought up charging points should be put up against a wall and shot. it should be universal cassette battery packs so you drive in and drive out.

its all going to be a retail wet dream.....

Last edited by Bibio; 13-03-21 at 07:05 AM.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-21, 07:19 AM   #145
SV650rules
Mega Poster

By the time people have paid the inflated prices to charge their car at motorway and other charging points owned by companies any 'fuel' savings will be non-existent. As for charging at home I am sure the government will also want chips in car charging leads and smart meters to know when a vehicle is being charged and have a different rate for electricity ( something has to replace the loss of duty on petrol and diesel), the government will just wait until they have a trapped audience of electric vehicle users ( trapped by legislation of their making - aided by Princess Carrie nut-nut whispering in Boris's ear ) and then the bad news will start to arrive, at the moment they are wary of scaring people off the already eye wateringly expensive electric vehicles and will bide their time.

As for a universal car battery - I wouldn't want to drive my brand new BEV into a battery swap station and drive out with an abused 5 year old battery in place of my brand new one. Also battery tech is evolving pretty fast and a battery tech could well become obsolete within a few years of its introduction. At present keeping a Lithium Ion battery fully charged damages them, which is why the 'x minutes to 80% charge ' appears on BEV adverts, the 80% figure was not chosen at random. Also the sneaky using of car batteries to keep grid running in the face of renewables that do not show up for days on end is a con, battery life is dependent on charge / discharge cycles, and although the grid will offer cheaper rates if you sign up for the scam your battery will go through many more cycles than shows on the milometer - you could buy a 3 year old BEV with 10,000 miles on the clock, but the battery has actually done the equivalent of 200,000 miles as far as battery cycles are concerned the previous owner has saved money at the next owners expense.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

Last edited by SV650rules; 13-03-21 at 07:28 AM.
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-21, 08:35 AM   #146
Biker Biggles
Mega Poster

I agree with Bibio on one thing----cassette type battery swapping will be the way forward. You wont own the battery so no worries about it getting shagged out,you will only buy the amount of energy it contains, which will be measurable. Its the way to get over the elephant in the room which is time spent charging/refuelling. Motorists want and need to make progress and that means refuelling in a couple of minutes, not tens of minutes or even an hour or more. Solve that and electric will become mainstream
Old 13-03-21, 09:44 AM   #147
SV650rules
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biker Biggles View Post
I agree with Bibio on one thing----cassette type battery swapping will be the way forward. You wont own the battery so no worries about it getting shagged out,you will only buy the amount of energy it contains, which will be measurable. Its the way to get over the elephant in the room which is time spent charging/refuelling. Motorists want and need to make progress and that means refuelling in a couple of minutes, not tens of minutes or even an hour or more. Solve that and electric will become mainstream
Problem is with BEV that the battery is a massive part of the car, is very heavy and takes up an awful lot of room ( my brother in law is working on Jaguar electric car design at the moment ). The BEV is literally built around the battery, not like a torch where the batteries pop in and out easily. Motorways kill batteries, for a motorway trip ( unless you want to stay with the lorries at 50/60 mph ) expect to get 60% of the range it says in that shiny brochure you got with the car...

Weight of Tesla car and then battery

Roadster 1500kg battery 900kg
Model S 2000 kg battery 600kg
model 3 2000 kg battery 500kg

Tesla Semi-truck battery 12,000 kg ( that's right the battery alone weighs 12 tons ).

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

Last edited by SV650rules; 13-03-21 at 10:07 AM.
Old 13-03-21, 10:32 PM   #148
svenrico

'As for charging at home I am sure the government will also want chips in car charging leads and smart meters to know when a vehicle is being charged and have a different rate for electricity ( something has to replace the loss of duty on petrol and diesel), the government will just wait until they have a trapped audience of electric vehicle users ( trapped by legislation of their making - aided by Princess Carrie nut-nut whispering in Boris's ear ) and then the bad news will start to arrive, at the moment they are wary of scaring people off the already eye wateringly expensive electric vehicles and will bide their time.'
Sounds about right. I am cynical about this whole electric vehicles thing. A bit like brexit , oops sorry ,drifting off topic again.
Old 14-03-21, 09:37 AM   #149
SV650rules
Mega Poster

It is already starting -

https://www.whatcar.com/news/electri...ly-cost/n16833

Old 14-03-21, 09:16 PM   #150
svenrico

I don't have an electric car or motorbike but I have a pedelec , the type of bicycle that requires pedalling for the electric motor to assist. It was good while the battery lasted ,but it only lasted a year before refusing to hold a charge, and the range on generally level ground was only about 16 miles on a low setting, not the 30 or so miles as claimed by the manufacturer. A new battery is about £360 the last time I checked with the bike shop but is claimed to give a range of about 40 miles or so. I will get round to a new battery one day. Without motor assist it is like wading through treacle so really can't be ridden with a flat battery.