SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

The Border Patrol Covering North Wales, Shropshire, Staffs, Merseyside and Cheshire for SV650.org members, past, present and future

Old 11-08-08, 04:59 PM   #141
Wideboy
Evel Knievel
Mega Poster

Default Re: Marches Meander - Sunday 17 August

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed View Post
No!!!! I'm v v excited, can't wait!! Just hope it doesn't rain!!!

nooooo!!!, don't say that

well ed has now jinxed it, thats it cancel it

p.s. if it rains ed said we can all have ago on his bike as a punishment for him saying it

05 DRZ400E
RIP hovis
Wideboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-08, 05:05 PM   #142
Ed

Hello peeps

Yes it is the V festival. Don't go on the old A5, you will get stuck for miles behind beat up old vans trying to get into Weston Park. Use the M54!!!

The meet point is now - the Esso garage at Shrewsbury Services. The layby is still full of roadstone.

Shrewsbury Services is at the huge roundabout (known locally as Bayley's Island - the garden centre there is now Dobbies but used to be Bayley's) at the junction of the A5 and the A49 on the south side of Shrewsbury.

From the north - A49, follow round the east side of town, it'll be signed 'Hereford, Leominster'. Go over a roundabout with a minor road for Newport. You go over the river a few times - the river meanders a lot around S'bury so you cross it a few times. At the first roundabout with the A5 (just after a railway bridge, road becomes 'A5/A49' and becomes a dual carriageway) get in the right hand lane and take a right. If you go left, you can't get off for about 12 - 13 miles and you'll end up in Telford. The road goes slightly uphill, and over the river. Go over the next roundabout, and then at the next roundabout (about a mile on) you will see the service area signed - don't take the left slip lane onto the A49 south, it's the second exit you need. You'll see it very clearly when you get there.

From the east - as above, you will be coming (probably) on the A5 from Telford, so turn left onto the A5/A49.

From the west - A5 to Bayley's Island, right hand lane, 4th exit.

From the south - A49 up to the roundabout, 1st exit. You'll know you're close when you go through Bayston Hill.

Everyone - this roundabout is a tad busy and is now traffic light controlled, apart from the turn into the Services. That's why I thought it better to meet at the layby but we can't do that now. But kwak can get his coffee, so that's all right!!!

So - suggest we meet at the Esso petrol station (there is a big parking area alongside it on the far side, you'll see what I mean) at the Services no later than 9.40 (I'll be there from about 9.15) for a quick briefing about route and markers. The route is actually very easy to follow and it's difficult to get lost... famous last words and of course I know the route.... We will leave at 10am sharp, okay?

There are plenty of fuel stops on the route but it would be a good idea to fuel up before we leave...

We may have a few waifs and strays coming from the 675 website.

The gods of weather are hopefully going to be kind, the forecast is good!!! From accuweather:

Sunny periods; windy in the afternoon. Winds from the SSE at 25 km/h.
RealfeelŪ: 18 °C
High: 20 °C

If anyone wants my mobile number, please PM me.

Finally - the idea is to have a great day out. There are only 3 sets of lights that I remember (one at the roundabout, 1 at Church Stretton, 1 at Leominster) and no fixed cameras. There is occasionally a mobile camera at Bayston Hill, in the 30. Recently on the A458 (after we turn right at the roundabout at Bridgnorth just before we get to Quatt) I saw a police car lying in wait - a side road joins at an acute angle so you can't see it. It's just past The Danery pub, you will see the pub by the roadside, it's in a bit of a dip, I will slow down (not that I ever break the limit, but I like to leave a good margin for comfort) so take the cue.

Obviously there can be mobile cameras all over, remember it's a .org rideout and not a race, usual rideout rules apply, just be sensible and don't ride like a knob.

Am looking forward to welcoming you all to my home county!

Ed

Last edited by Ed; 11-08-08 at 05:09 PM. Reason: Senility
Old 11-08-08, 05:22 PM   #143
kwak zzr

awww i cant ride like a nob but i do get coffee yayy!
Old 11-08-08, 05:22 PM   #144
Wideboy
Evel Knievel
Mega Poster

nice!

05 DRZ400E
RIP hovis
Wideboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-08, 07:07 PM   #145
Ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwak zzr View Post
awww i cant ride like a nob but i do get coffee yayy!
Me again

Ride like a knob and I'll let your tyres down and put dog poo on your seat

By all means have a coffee or whatever else is your poison, but do remember that it's about 45 miles to the next stop at Quatt. Dunno 'bout you but for me there's nothing worse than riding with a full tank
Old 11-08-08, 08:27 PM   #146
kwak zzr

i drink coffee like its going out of fashion so i should be ok with that, see ya sunday at 9:15 - 10:00am
Old 11-08-08, 10:01 PM   #147
El Saxo

Can't wait for this! Only 6 sleeps to go
Old 11-08-08, 11:16 PM   #148
Drew Carey
Not Fizzwheel
Mega Poster

Woo hoo not long now. Getting all excited.......can't wait for my girly to pass her test either.....whenever it may be... hehe

I am looking forward to it also cause like Ed this is my home ish area and ride around these parts quite often.

Hovis RIP Buddy - 13/08/1975 - 03/10/2009
"Feckinnnn Unluckkeeeeeeee"
Drew Carey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-08, 09:05 AM   #149
Nemo

I live in Stockport so does anybody want to meet for the ride down ??? be a bit boring on me own
Old 12-08-08, 12:09 PM   #150
Neeja

I'm hopefully blasting down from Warrington, though it's going to be an experience trying to navigate on a Sunday morning...I'm going to have to set out at like, 7:50