SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 20-08-15, 09:52 PM   #141
littleoldman2
Mega Poster

Location: Cramlington Northumberland where we are truely blessed
Default Re: Test ride challenge

Quote:
Originally Posted by L3nny View Post
On the list, along with the GSR750, CB650F and the W800. Maybe even a Monster as well. Busy weekend
You're just a martyr to the cause.
Old 20-08-15, 09:56 PM   #142
Fordward

Quote:
Ahh yes, forgot about the BMW, that's on the list too.

Dean, you may be surprised how much better suited an adventure style bike is to UK roads. I'd reccomend testing a few. Only dont test ride the GS, because you'll want it and then be really upset with yourself. Firstly for being the type of person who likes a GS and secondly when you realise how much they cost.
And thirdly, when you've bought one, and you need an AA truck to follow you everywhere.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
Old 21-08-15, 06:24 AM   #143
carelesschucca
Mega Poster

Quote:
Ahh yes, forgot about the BMW, that's on the list too.

Dean, you may be surprised how much better suited an adventure style bike is to UK roads. I'd reccomend testing a few. Only dont test ride the GS, because you'll want it and then be really upset with yourself. Firstly for being the type of person who likes a GS and secondly when you realise how much they cost.
I'm REALLY not interested in joining the I'm friends with Ewan crowd, I tried my mates GS years ago and it was just too big and heavy. Having said that once he fitted 17" wheels it was a capable bike. Sadly the only BMW I've ever really fallen in love with was the R1100S (boxer cup) I got a 1/2 day test on the standard one and thought it was a great bit of kit but to heavy coming straight off the SV and I couldn't justify the cash.

Tried the Tiger 1050 a few years ago and it was too tall for little old me, I also found the front end didn't talk to me like the street.Oh I also found I was doing 'cough' speeds because the engine is a big lazy lump (compared to the street) the plastics didn't help, I honestly didn't realise I was going so fast in a straight line.

I just have to be honest there are so few bikes out there that even remotely interest me.

sv650s (gone) gsx-r600 (gone) Street R675 (now living in Inbhir Nis )
carelesschucca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-15, 06:47 AM   #144
Fordward

Default Test ride challenge

Manufacturers are getting better at hiding the size of the front wheel, the new V-Strom and the Crosstourer are both 19 inch and both turn on a sixpence. I couldn't feel the size on either bike.

Most manufacturers have realised though that 99% of adventure style bikes never go off road, and most people who want one actually want cross-over, so have gone 17 inch like Triumph and Ducati have done for years, new Versys, Caponord, BMW S1000XR, etc, all have a 17" front.

The front wheel will talk to you on the Tiger, but you have to exaggerate your countersteering and push the bars harder. Firming up the preload and damping settings help too. Took me months to realise that, after it was going vague on me at bigger lean angles, now I can really throw it into corners if I want to. Tiger 1050 is more agile than the Tiger Sport but the Sport is more stable in fast bends, the SSSA is 30cm longer than the DSSA on the 1050.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
Old 21-08-15, 06:53 AM   #145
STRAMASHER
Mega Poster

Testing a Harley 1200 Sportster tomorrow for the day.

Pressing my chaps and de-sleeving my denim jaiket the noo. Black Widows! Yeah!

Ok, little white lie. She has it for the day after winning a competition. I'll be blagging a go to break my Harley cherry. I reckon I'll love it till the first corner...

Last edited by STRAMASHER; 21-08-15 at 06:55 AM.
STRAMASHER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-15, 11:48 AM   #146
Balky001
Mega Poster

I'd build up to corners slowly.

I think the first thing I noticed was how rubbish the brakes are, remember to use the rear! Once you get used to looking twice as far ahead (because of the brakes) and remember it only has 5 gears, I'm sure you'll enjoy it.
Old 21-08-15, 11:54 AM   #147
L3nny
Mega Poster

Only GS I rode was the one in the review. Yes it's heavy but at speeds over 5mph it's as nimble as anything else I've ridden. Same with the V-strom. Just the V-strom does it for half the price .
Old 21-08-15, 05:00 PM   #148
L3nny
Mega Poster

Test 25 - 2015 Honda NC750S DCT I can't be bothered to keep track of the mileage any more, it's not really a challenge any more anyway.

I've never ridden a bike before that has been truly bad. Some of the bikes on here I just didn't get, have been overpriced or have niggles but any of them I'd happily go on a rideout on.

This bike changed that. It is truly terrible. How they have managed to get such poor performance from a 750 engine I have no Idea, it has neither torque nor power. It tops out at 6000 revs. I can rev higher in my diesel car!!

The DCT automatic gearbox is awful, it changes up half way through a bend, completely ruining your line. Putting it in manual makes no difference because if you go anywhere neat the red line it changes for you.

The brakes use a single disc at the front which for a bike of this weight is not adequate.

Only up side is the storage unit where the fuel tank should be is handy, but not as handy as a top box, and you can't strap anything to the pillion seat as you need to remove that to put fuel in. The seat was pretty comfy as well and the handling isn't too bad.

If you were using it purely for commuting it could have a purpose but at £6500 there are much better options, even a scooter would be better.

Last edited by L3nny; 21-08-15 at 10:34 PM.
L3nny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-15, 05:08 PM   #149
L3nny
Mega Poster

Test 26 - 2015 Honda CB650F

I had a quick ride on my mate's 600 Hornet when I first passed my test a long time ago and really liked it, I did think of buying one but went for an SV instead, mainly so I can meet you lovely people

The CB650F is the latest version of the Hornet but they have removed the Hornet name, I think it's because the new bike makes less power than the old 600, mainly so it can be restricted as it has less than double the restriction limit.

The 650 felt a lot like the old 600 Hornet, it is silky smooth, handles great, the breaks are good and it's really comfortable. It feels like it has a bit more torque though, you can happily cruise along in 4th at 30 and not have to change down when you reach the NSL sign.

Handling was really good, it doesn't turn in too fast like the MT09 and inspires a lot of confidence. The suspension is comfortable without being too soft, a little softer than the MT09 but the bike felt planted.

As a commuter you could have fun on this bike seems perfect so is currently top contender for the SV replacement. If you were using it purely as a toy to scratch around on it's perfectly capable but after a while you'd probably feel it lacking.

In the real world the CBF would be a much better bike to live with than the MT09, especially for a newer rider. At the same price as the NC750 above it's a no brainer which one you'd choose.

Last edited by L3nny; 21-08-15 at 05:37 PM.
Old 21-08-15, 05:36 PM   #150
L3nny
Mega Poster

Test 27 - 2014 Triumph Street Triple

Everyone has suggested I try one of these so here goes.

Sitting on the Triple is pretty much like every other naked I've tried so far. The riding position is a little more extreme though with the pegs being a little higher but it's still much more comfortable than a proper sports bike.

I does have a different feel than the Japanese bikes though, I can't really put my finger on why but you can tell it's made by a smaller manufacturer by people who are more interested in making something exciting rather than a profit. When pressing the starter and hearing the engine fire up it feels a little more old fashioned, again I'm not sure exactly why though.

Paddling the bike around in the car park it felt a little heavier than the others not by much though.

I pulled out straight onto a main road and pinned the throttle. Straight away I realised what all the fuss is about. The induction roar is intoxicating and the power delivery is probably the best of any bike I've ridden, it's definitely as good, if not better than a Fireblade and feels nearly as fast.

Then I got to a bend, the steering was so perfect, it's just the right speed and so easy to keep a line. Suspension is great as well, you can feel the road but it isn't too firm.

As with all of the other Triumphs I have tested the brakes seem a bit spongy, maybe it's just how they are set up bit they don't give me as much confidence as on the Jap bikes.

Another down side, which is obviously subjective, are the looks, it just looks a bit weird to me, as if it's be designed by a lot of different people who didn't talk to each other.

I think as a road bike the Street is about as perfect as I have tried, if I had tried one before getting the V-Strom I might have got one of these instead. However the Mrs needs a bike which she can use for commuting and as quite a new rider won't really be able to exploit the power and handling, it's also a bit more money than the Honda CBF so it hasn't quite jumped to first place. She's also worried I'd be stealing it all the time

Last edited by L3nny; 03-07-16 at 05:22 PM.