SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Photos Place your images here. There's also a "U" rating so please respect this.

Old 22-07-16, 08:27 PM   #1561
Kenzie

Default Re: Vintage film cameras

Glad it's not down here, I would be really poor each month! Do you have an XD7?
Kenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-16, 08:30 PM   #1562
johnnyrod
Mega Poster

Seen the Lynx, ta, it's a bit pricey for a donor, plus I'm a bit too purist to bust a good camera for parts. I had the Konica out again tonight to check the meter, it's good, I had it in my head there was a problem. You can't see it in the viewfinder but I'm less worried about that these days, it's not an exact science.

Yokes you could get the K1000 working and sell it for some lenses. They're a fine camera but overpriced really, if the Chinon checks out and you're not a brand snob then go with it, and any good lenses can be put on any other Pentax in the future after all. If you have a K/M42 adapter then you could pick up an old M42 Super Takumar which are excellent but an old mount so not very popular.

The GAS is a bit of an addiction, but as bikers we're all gearheads really. A friend of mine is a proper photographer and put me on to rangefinders. He's had all sorts of cameras over the years, and as he says, you can buy them, use them, then flog them on for the same price, try another one. The problem I guess is not getting too attached or you end up with a wardrobe full. Ahem.
johnnyrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-16, 08:31 PM   #1563
yokohama

Nope, no XD7.....yet. I'm hoping I can live with the XD5, unless of course a real bargain comes up somewhere.
yokohama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-16, 08:40 PM   #1564
yokohama

I'll probably keep the Pentax and the Chinon for now Johnny, and at least try a film through them. Happy to use a Chinon and its specs are good. It's even got a rudimentary autofocus function with certain lenses. Basically, I can sell either one of them and probably more than cover my costs so I'm OK with that.
Nice to have a Pentax anyway.
Old 22-07-16, 08:44 PM   #1565
Kenzie

If you go for an m42 adapter, make sure you get one with a key that fully recesses as the other type won't focus to infinity.
Old 22-07-16, 08:59 PM   #1566
Kenzie

I think your Pentax is a Japanese model, has the company name over the Pentax on the prism. Mine doesn't.
Old 22-07-16, 09:17 PM   #1567
johnnyrod
Mega Poster

Plenty of K mount lenses around though I don't know what would fit the Chinon and allow you to use the autofocus - if you are wanting that. Best value is most likely buying a camera e.g. there is an MV and a couple of ME Supers on there with f2 or f1.7 lenses, then sell off the body, you get a pretty much free lens. It's worth trawling the ads for a while if you are looking for one, often the genuine Pentax ones are listed as SMC (super multi coated) as it says this on the ring.

One interesting thing on the Pentax forum the other day (it's dry but occasionally throws up something) was a thread called "find the prime" where 10-12 pictures (full size and zoomed in) were posted from various zoom lenses, with one fixed length. A few people got it, the quality of a fixed focal length (prime) lens is always better to some degree, but many got it wrong, and the rider question of which you like the most, generally favoured the older lenses, for the pictures they make. I'm not a Luddite but there are plenty of old (and therefore cheap!) lenses around that are very good, after all, we've been taking pictures for over 100 years, and even the simple Tessar held its own for 60 years of magnificent 20th century engineering progress before serious competition arrived, and it's still good. Okay am getting carried away now but it's true nonetheless!
johnnyrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-16, 08:43 AM   #1568
yokohama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenzie View Post
I think your Pentax is a Japanese model, has the company name over the Pentax on the prism. Mine doesn't.
I didn't realise there were different versions. I've just been reading up on them.
I think mine's more likely the 2nd version (Japanese but assembled in HK/Taiwan)
It's got Asahi and the logo on the front prism, metal top and bottom plates but serial number is on the bottom, not top and it says Asahi opt co on the back (but without the Japan) Focus is split screen only; no prism.
Old 23-07-16, 09:12 AM   #1569
Kenzie

Well the car boot gods smile again.

Comes with case and hood, meter doesn't seem to work though (might need a new battery). I also picked up a K1000 with 40-80mm f3.5 lens, three flashes and a bundle of expired film. £10 each. K1000 has its mirror stuck in the up position so I need to find out why. I think it is also a Mk2.
Old 23-07-16, 09:27 AM   #1570
yokohama

Nice morning's shopping. Beats going to Tesco.