SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Photos Place your images here. There's also a "U" rating so please respect this.

Old 28-07-16, 01:51 PM   #1621
Kenzie

Default Re: Vintage film cameras

Have sent him a message with an offer.

Sent from my Xperia T
Kenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-16, 03:45 PM   #1622
johnnyrod
Mega Poster

Well I thought I'd finished the Vito, set the focus etc. but now it's randomly sticking with the shutter open. Will give it another look, at least this time I know how to get into it. K1000 arrived, it's a bit rough. The winder makes a nasty graunching, and the rear curtain is sticking a lot (as is probably the front one) which could be why the mirror isn't returning. Will give it a poke but other signs like the damp/mould marks on the curtains indicate it will probably only work properly with some professional attention. Booo.
johnnyrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-16, 04:52 PM   #1623
Kenzie

Hopefully you can get to the root of the issue with the Vito. I did try and clean off the shutter but maybe it is too far gone. Just won a Franka Solida 120 folder. Also put a 1.5v replacement PX625 in the Yashica D and the meter works. How do I compensate for the difference from 1.35v?
Oh, the ful vue sold.

Last edited by Kenzie; 28-07-16 at 06:14 PM.
Old 28-07-16, 06:17 PM   #1624
johnnyrod
Mega Poster

Compare the Yashica metering to something like Pocket Light meter and just adjust the ISO to match e.g. it might read 2 stops under, so just set it to 1/4 of the ISO of the film.

Wow that sold quick. I saw a couple of Solidas on t'bay last night, didn't mention it as I didn't think they were of interest, never can tell though!

Will check out the Vito, when I flushed the clockworks it pushed a load of oil onto the shutter blades, so maybe there's more in there and it's in the shutter ring. I don't really like flushing but I thought it wouldn't hurt, it was dirrrtier than I thought though.
Old 28-07-16, 06:30 PM   #1625
Kenzie

Just seen your shots on Flickr. Will give the meter thing a try. The Yashica uses GN. So 200 iso gives GN15 which on the barrel is 125 and f16. Light meter app for same scene is 250 @ f16

Last edited by Kenzie; 28-07-16 at 06:36 PM.
Old 28-07-16, 07:08 PM   #1626
johnnyrod
Mega Poster

Try it in varying light, and remember that the app is a spot meter. Something like a wall with the light falling on it from the side is ideal. Not tried CdS meters but with selenium ones I find they overexpose in brighter light, for example. So if yours is consistent then set the ISO to 400 ISO, or just use it at 200 and it'll err on the side of overexposure which is safer if slower. Quite a few people shoot at half the rated ISO, some just half a stop slower, most at the box speed.

Taken the shutter right out and bathed it in hexane, a load of yellow stuff has come out. Read that flushing can move the grease around then when the hexane evaporates, the grease goes quite hard. Might need a second bath but will see, the blades look fairly clean just now. Before I did it I could see some oil on the ends deepest inside so it definitely wasn't clean. The focus helix is right next to the shutter blades, so it's easy for grease to migrate into the mechanism, bit of an oversight. I cleaned it all off the helix and it's a big beefy thread, so I don't think it needs any, or maybe just the slightest hint. Felt smooth when dry so will leave it that way I think.
Old 28-07-16, 07:15 PM   #1627
Kenzie

Might just run a roll through and see what happens. Film should be pretty forgiving. Have you ripped the Vito apart again? Also, did you push the dent out of the top plate.

Last edited by Kenzie; 28-07-16 at 07:20 PM.
Old 28-07-16, 08:33 PM   #1628
johnnyrod
Mega Poster

Not tried the top plate, all you have to do is take the big screw out of the cold shoe and be ready to catch the viewfinder front glass as the top comes off. Stuff under there looks fine, seems to be the escapement sticking. I've got it soaking in isopropanol overnight as hexane is good for grease but not much else. Not sure if it's sticking because there is still something in there, or because I've washed out all traces of oil. Normally they run fine dry but will see how it goes and maybe need to be a bit more free with the oil. Lots of gears in there by the looks of it.
Old 28-07-16, 08:44 PM   #1629
Kenzie

No bids on the Konica s yet
Old 28-07-16, 08:58 PM   #1630
johnnyrod
Mega Poster

Would you want to buy it? I am hoping I get the bits before that one ends, and it has a working cell I could transplant in then flog it again. It's a manual camera though so works without anyway.