SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 15-05-13, 12:31 PM   #161
Fordward

Default Re: Crashed last night :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by aesmith View Post
Motorcycles aren't allowed in bus lanes around here, but this discussion has made me more aware of their details. I notice that in the city there are lots and lots of gaps of the type at issue, where the bus lane ends and the space where it would have been is not separated from the other traffic by any sort of line. As in this case buses and taxis continue straight on along these gaps without slacking speed.
I do sometimes wonder whether a highways designer is actually involved in bus lanes, or whether the council contract somebody who is paid per sq metre and leave them to it.
Old 01-06-13, 03:10 PM   #162
Woogie

Quick update now I am back off holiday. Got home to a letter from my insurance company stating my bike has been classified as a cat C write off and has a pre accident value of what I paid for a salvage value of approx £600 meaning if it's deemed to be the 3rd party's fault then I will receive roughly around the 2k mark for my bike. As of my leaving for my holiday 5 weeks after the accident the 3rd party still had not handed there statement in, or at least that is what there insurers were telling us but then it took 5 weeks for there engineer to get out to view the bike so who knows what is going on

Last edited by Woogie; 18-06-13 at 12:09 PM.
Old 01-06-13, 03:25 PM   #163
stuR

How does that work with salvage value? You keep the bike and get the £2k payout?
Old 01-06-13, 03:38 PM   #164
Woogie

Not 100% sure on that one, I called them to ask about it but no one was available to chat and will call me back
Old 01-06-13, 04:50 PM   #165
mikerj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woogie View Post
Not 100% sure on that one, I called them to ask about it but no one was available to chat and will call me back

That's the only option that makes sense, they wouldn't remove the salvage value from your payout unless you are keeping the bike.
mikerj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-13, 04:54 PM   #166
PyroUK
Mega Poster

Default Crashed last night :(

They may give you the option. When mine was written off the said the bike was eg £3k and salvage was £700 so I could get either £3k and not keep bike or get £2.3k and keep bike.

Those aren't the actual figures, was a year or two ago.

At the time based on the figures they have me I opted for not keeping the bike. In hindsight I should have as the finance company cocked up and so gave me more money for my trouble. Could have had a nice track bike. Oh well
Old 18-06-13, 12:12 PM   #167
Woogie

Another update, Randomly received a cheque in the post from the 3rd party insurers for the Market value minus scrap for the bike. I called the claim handlers about this and they advised me that this has been given on a non purger basis meaning they have not accepted responsibility for the accident but have done it to keep costs down. I was also advised that they cannot accept liability fully yet due to the fact I was injured and they have to wait for a full police report to be produced which can take up to 6 months bad times.... They believe that the cheque has been paid because the 3rd party insurers believe they will be found at fault for the accident or at very best will have 50/50 so they will still have to pay partial costs.
Old 18-06-13, 12:50 PM   #168
aesmith

That's a result. For what it's worth the only time I was paid out from another party's insurance their payment came with a denial of liability, even though that case was as cut and dried as they come.
aesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-13, 02:10 PM   #169
Red Herring
Mega Poster

I think you can consider yourself lucky. They have paid out because technically it was a right of way violation on the part of the car driver, however if you are thinking of going for any injury compensation expect to get a very hard time over that video.

I don't need to add anything to the views already expressed on the actual crash, Dicky Ticker sums it up pretty well in posts 78 and 120, but as we are dealing in technicalities you might want to reflect on the overtake on the approach to the pedestrian crossing immediately before the incident. If I was working for the other side I would suggest that, along with your use of speed, says a lot about your style and attitude and neither will do you any favors if it comes to an argument about degrees of responsibility.

Not trying to be rude, but there are plenty of people on here telling you it wasn't your fault, they would have done the same etc etc and a reality check wouldn't go amiss for them either.
Red Herring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-13, 04:12 PM   #170
SvNewbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Herring View Post
Not trying to be rude, but there are plenty of people on here telling you it wasn't your fault, they would have done the same etc etc and a reality check wouldn't go amiss for them either.
Right or wrong you will see must worse in London dozens of times every day. It was only a matter of time before that car driver had a reminder to be more careful and I'm very sure Woogie has more than learned his lesson to slow down in potentially dangerous situations.