SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 11-06-07, 03:21 PM   #161
Ping

Default Re: Get yer tats out!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinbad View Post
I'm not trying to hide behind anything. If I was so concerned about upsetting people I wouldn't have posted at all. I just thought that I wouldn't be doing that because we're all grown ups, it's just my opinion, and genuinely not a criticism of anybody just an explanation of why I don't understand why people get tattoos. But yes, I do think that vanity is a major reason behind people getting "body art", it doesn't mean you're fashion obsessed, or shallow, but you are probably a poser Nothing wrong with that, you could ask why I spend £10 on a haircut when someone could do it for a couple of quid. Maybe there's someone that doesn't understand haircuts
You don't understand... and I reckon... If you dug REAL holes as fast as you dug metaphorical ones you'd probably make a lot of money if you went professional...

Assumption is the mother of all evil. Meanie.
Old 11-06-07, 03:24 PM   #162
SoulKiss
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinbad View Post
I'm not trying to hide behind anything. If I was so concerned about upsetting people I wouldn't have posted at all. I just thought that I wouldn't be doing that because we're all grown ups, it's just my opinion, and genuinely not a criticism of anybody just an explanation of why I don't understand why people get tattoos. But yes, I do think that vanity is a major reason behind people getting "body art", it doesn't mean you're fashion obsessed, or shallow, but you are probably a poser Nothing wrong with that, you could ask why I spend £10 on a haircut when someone could do it for a couple of quid. Maybe there's someone that doesn't understand haircuts
I was a bit harsh I guess, bad day at this end.

I guess the key part of it is that you dont understand (as you have already said).

My Tattoos are all designed by myself, have taken years to get to the point where I wanted the design on me forever, and I am very proud of them.

The one on my right shoulder, which is also to the left of this text, and is also on my bikes numberplate has become part of my identity, people who have seen the symbol come up to me and know who I am, its not about hiding it, or not letting people see it, I often get stick for wearing "wife-beater" sleeveless T-shirts, just because I want to show off what I have had done.

However I am, and will always be, careful to never get anything done that I cant conceal if needs be, some people are offended or intimidated by tattoo's and if thats the case then it doesn't hurt me or cause me any problems to put on a longer-sleeved t-shirt.

They are VERY personal to me, hence why I took the "nothing personal" thing the way I did, after many years of dealing with the internet, in Newsgroups and BBS's in the old days, to IRC and now web forums, you get people who put themselves forwards, say things, but then say that they "didnt mean it" after they have provoked a reaction, I guess you hit a nerve.

One thing that we have in common tho, is that like you, I dont understand people who just walk into a tattoo studio, leaf through the flash and just pick the 1st one they "kind of like".

David

█╬╬╬╬()i¯i▀▀▀▀▀█Ξ███████████████████████████████)
SoulKiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-07, 03:25 PM   #163
SoulKiss
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ping View Post
You don't understand... and I reckon... If you dug REAL holes as fast as you dug metaphorical ones you'd probably make a lot of money if you went professional...

Assumption is the mother of all evil. Meanie.
LOL - thanks for that Ping, only thing is, with what I have done to the back of my SV involving Red LED's, well glass houses and stones...........

Old 11-06-07, 03:27 PM   #164
SoulKiss
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoulKiss View Post
LOL - thanks for that Ping, only thing is, with what I have done to the back of my SV involving Red LED's, well glass houses and stones...........
Oh, and it WAS me that started this whole thread :P

Old 11-06-07, 09:19 PM   #165
2mths

Hmm interesting thread.

I don't have any tattoos (save an ink dot in my palm where I stabbed myself with a felt nibbed pen once) and I'm unlikely to get any in the near future. I was brought up by parents that "don't approve" if you will and I've took that on board.

If they weren't permanent then things might be different. I'm not ruling it out at some point in the future but tbh the only thoughts I've had about it result from a situation I don't want to face any time soon. As some have said it would be for me a deeply personal thing and it would have to be something that defined me or something important to me, at least for me. At the moment I can't think of anything up to the job.

I don't have any piercings either and I don't think I ever will. That all said branding as a method of scarring intrigues me. I've often thought of that. Sort of same thing as with tattoo, it'd have to mean something and there's nothing I can think of that does. I do have some scars that are mine, though they are all but invisible now. I've thought about adding to them in the past, but I doubt I will.

PS: SoulKiss - Yep your "SoulKiss" tattoo (as that's what I htink of it as) was very useful at Fox's And I like the way it links the physical you, to the you here and the bike to you.

Last edited by 2mths; 11-06-07 at 09:25 PM.
Old 11-06-07, 09:43 PM   #166
dirtydog
Knob faced knobster
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ping View Post
You admit you don't understand... so how can you comment on why people get them? I think you'll find that MANY people want a tattoo for a while, fashionable or not, and after a lot of thinking get one (seeing as it's not so easy to get one whilst under the influence these days).

I wanted one when I was a teenager, but sensibly didn't get one until I was sure... So NYAH to you.

seconded!!!!
Old 12-06-07, 05:36 AM   #167
Lissa
Just Ballast
Mega Poster

Thirded!

As for my two piercings...............well, that's purely a sexual thing, and I make no bones about it

I'd Rather Have Two Big Bangs Than Four Little Strokes
Lissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-07, 04:13 PM   #168
Nutkins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lissa View Post
As for my two piercings...............well, that's purely a sexual thing, and I make no bones about it
Well, you're not built for that kind of thing.