SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Photos Place your images here. There's also a "U" rating so please respect this.

Old 15-06-09, 12:40 AM   #171
JediGoat

Default Re: Always wear yer ferkin leathers. Graffic images.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yorkie_chris View Post
There is something seriously wrong when a pair of multiple-crashed draggin jeans stand up to a crash better than a "race styled" leather jacket which cost (I won't say "worth") a couple of hundred quid!
I neither wear nor sell Dainese, so I can't comment on their gear, but in an unintended way, maybe you have brought up the fact of how much folks underestimate a product like Draggin jeans*.

Jo

*Other Kevlar products are available
JediGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-09, 12:49 AM   #172
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by shop_addict View Post
I neither wear nor sell Dainese, so I can't comment on their gear, but in an unintended way, maybe you have brought up the fact of how much folks underestimate a product like Draggin jeans*.

Jo

*Other Kevlar products are available
I like them. they are an excellent product but you have to accept their limitations. Because they are not so fitted in place as leathers your skin will slide across the inside of them. The kevlar inside is a little rough; This hurts. Also just leather alone, especially doubled over a few times like on the knees, lower back, hips, on a decent set of leathers, will go some way to absorb any impact. The thin layer of kevlar will not do this. You will get some burn from the kevlar as you hit the floor.

You will not get better protection than from a set of leathers with knee and hip armor.

I know some people will wear armor underneath draggin jeans, but this negates any advantage of the draggin jeans whatsoever. They are good because you can wear them with the comfort of normal cammos, but if you're going to use loads of other sweaty stuff then what's the point!

There was one very amusing one on some US bikers forum, guy posted pic of himself knee down in jeans, then went on to explain how he loves riding in jeans, and wears some armored underwear, then full kevlar pants, THEN jeans, then straps kneesliders on top.
Those leathers sure seem inconvenient
Old 15-06-09, 01:22 AM   #173
JediGoat

Quote:
The kevlar inside is a little rough; This hurts.
A couple of years ago, a guy I know mentioned to me that he was getting 'chinese burns' from his Draggin Jeans. I was rather surprised, as I had never had any customers mention this to me (I sell women's bike gear, and a lot of Draggin jeans, but no single cusomer had ever mentioned getting any irritation). I also wear them myself and had never had a problem with them.

He was adamant about it though - chinese burns on the outside of his thighs.

Then one day, he popped his head round the door and said he had worked out the problem...the woven kevlar was acting like an epillator and was plucking the hairs out of his legs

No wonder it was unlikely any of my customers would complain of such a problem, and I've never heard of anyone since with that issue, but it still makes me chuckle

Jo

Edit - I'm sure there is a business idea there..."Ladies, epillate your legs whilst commuting to work"

Last edited by JediGoat; 15-06-09 at 01:25 AM. Reason: Killer business idea ;)
JediGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-09, 01:57 AM   #174
lukemillar
Mega Poster

Quote:
My own experience of them was a friend of mine having a poxy little lowside at about 30mph, it wasn't a particularly violent landing since he was cranked over a lot. The stitching failed around about a third of the arm-torso joint on them!

There is something seriously wrong when a pair of multiple-crashed draggin jeans stand up to a crash better than a "race styled" leather jacket which cost (I won't say "worth") a couple of hundred quid!
I have to say, I have read peoples opinions so many times on different leather manufacturers and for every person who claims one brand is sh!t you will find another who says they are great. For this reason I tend to not believe anything I read on the interweb and just follow personal experience, else I probably wouldn't buy any brand of leathers.

I have just retired my multiple crash-tested Spyke leathers and bought some secondhand Dainese ones. Didn't set out to buy Dainese - I was actually after some Arlen Ness, but being in the @rse-end of the world, most brands don't reach NZ soil - except for the bigger ones. I have no idea whether they are any good. They are about 3 years old new - just never used and don't appear to have be made in a chinese sweatshop. The fit, however, is great which (like helmets) is definietly half the battle. I would argue that a lot of people wear leathers that are too big for them and so they don't necessarily perfom in the manner to wish they were designed.
#24 - Honda VFR400R NC30

Last edited by lukemillar; 15-06-09 at 01:59 AM.
lukemillar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-09, 03:46 AM   #175
Jamiebridges123

Tbh most decent branded leathers would perform similarly anyway? at least for road use.. on a track then maybe you want the £3000 suit over the £450 one, but the £450 isn't exactly going to fall apart like tissue paper...

Tbh my Ixon jacket and random leather trousers (good ones though.. I forgot the name) saved me well enough in a crash.. my cheapy waterproof boots let my ankle down though... and ok, I couldn't walk because my knee had swollen up, however it wasn't the knee that either

a) Got crushed or,
b) slid across the tarmac with at 40mph with a 220kg bike on top of it

I think the most important piece of saftey equipment, however, are gloves and earplugs, in that order.. followed by boots and then a jacket/trousers/suit.

I think... It's better to have poorer quality (the cheapy £220 2pc Frank Thomas one) one that fits perfectly, than a £800 BKS set with Toselands signature across your **** (not like anyone could see it anyway!) that you won from a competition and were 5 sizes too big.. (not small.... wouldn't work! lmao!)
Old 15-06-09, 10:49 AM   #176
Stig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamiebridges123 View Post

I think the most important piece of saftey equipment, however, are gloves and earplugs, in that order.. followed by boots and then a jacket/trousers/suit.
Not helmet or back protector? Jeez you some wierd ideas about stuff.
Old 15-06-09, 11:00 AM   #177
Chuky

**** man that looks sore, i hope your all well now...but theres nothing betta than to see wat happens to make shure peeps put on the propa gear
Old 15-06-09, 04:04 PM   #178
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

Don't forget the importance of gloves, it is ridiculously easy to do debilitating and permanent damage by flesh removal from your palms. This coupled with the natural tendancy to put your hands out to break your fall...
Old 16-06-09, 10:43 AM   #179
gruntygiggles
DaffyGingerBint
Mega Poster

I bought JHS own make textiles for £160 jacket & Trousers after trying on a few sets of HG's and others that were triple the price. The armour in the JHS suit was far better and much better placed. It also has hip and thigh armour which the others didn't. I was a little dubious, but thought, hey.....if they last me one off, they're cheap enough to just go out and buy a new set. I spoke to the guys there about the stitching and he showed me how they tested it and basically said that they were as good as, if not better quality than the big brand textiles, but they can't charge the same price because they are own make. They more than passed all the safety testing and so I bought them. They have been amazing. Not had to test them in an off yet thankfully, but after over a year they still look and feel brand new. Only thing I want now is a back protector.
Old 16-06-09, 10:46 AM   #180
Dave20046
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by gruntygiggles View Post
I bought JHS own make textiles for £160 jacket & Trousers after trying on a few sets of HG's and others that were triple the price. The armour in the JHS suit was far better and much better placed. It also has hip and thigh armour which the others didn't. I was a little dubious, but thought, hey.....if they last me one off, they're cheap enough to just go out and buy a new set. I spoke to the guys there about the stitching and he showed me how they tested it and basically said that they were as good as, if not better quality than the big brand textiles, but they can't charge the same price because they are own make. They more than passed all the safety testing and so I bought them. They have been amazing. Not had to test them in an off yet thankfully, but after over a year they still look and feel brand new. Only thing I want now is a back protector.
Get the protector quick smart. They come in level 1 and level 2 wish I'd known when I bought mine. Think forcefields are a level 2.
I might look into j&s textile trousers I need something armoured and waterproof! my current ones tick all the right boxes apart from waterproof Are j&s nationwide?