SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 03-12-07, 03:19 PM   #171
krhall

Default Re: The running thread!

As they are in my hands, they are ok as long as I leave the contraption on........

I managed 4 miles in a very hot and sweaty 36 mins, which I suppose I am quite happy with and under the circumstances is the best I could've hoped for.

The first 3 miles were hell, the last mile felt OK although the thought of the shower might have helped that a bit!!!!
Old 11-12-07, 11:34 PM   #172
krhall

Is this dedication or what - Just had a monster day at work from 8ish to 10, got home, changed and then out for a 4 mile run in the freezing night air!!!

Managed it in 33:52 and actually felt pretty good - not sure that kind of dedication will be so forthcoming again.

Have raised £800 of my £2k target for the London Marathon though, so that's all good.

If any of you guys/gals fancy sponsoring me please do so.

Last edited by krhall; 11-12-07 at 11:36 PM.
Old 11-12-07, 11:38 PM   #173
Ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by krhall View Post
Is this dedication or what - Just had a monster day at work from 8ish to 10, got home, changed and then out for a 4 mile run in the freezing night air!!!
Loony
Old 11-12-07, 11:42 PM   #174
sarah

Quote:
Originally Posted by krhall View Post

Managed it in 33:52 and actually felt pretty good - not sure that kind of dedication will be so forthcoming again.
wow, i wimped out of going for a run after work today. too flipping cold. i really need to get a hat.
Old 12-12-07, 10:54 AM   #175
krhall

Cap and running gloves - that's all you need. I think my eagerness to go out was partially due to the fact I bought a new running top yesterday and wanted to give it a go.

Nice.

ED - Any pointers for marathon training???

Sarah - How is the running coming on?

Last edited by krhall; 12-12-07 at 11:02 AM.
Old 12-12-07, 11:36 AM   #176
Ed

Yes loads. Will scrawl something and stick it on here

But main one is - 26.2 is a long way and you must be prepared mentally. You must be able to keep going no matter what, when the physical pain tells you to stop the mental toughness needs to scream 'no'.
Old 12-12-07, 11:39 AM   #177
gettin2dizzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed View Post
Yes loads. Will scrawl something and stick it on here

But main one is - 26.2 is a long way and you must be prepared mentally. You must be able to keep going no matter what, when the physical pain tells you to stop the mental toughness needs to scream 'no'.
Where's your 'wall'?
Old 12-12-07, 11:45 AM   #178
krhall

The wall is about 18 miles isn't it, where most peoples glycogen stores run out as the body can only store enough for that distance???

Can that be combatted by carb gels etc.

I have done a 17 miler a couple of times and think that I could've gone further or does it just come on you all of a sudden?
Old 12-12-07, 11:46 AM   #179
gettin2dizzy

Driving 18 miles is pretty hard work
Old 12-12-07, 12:21 PM   #180
Ed

I have never hit 'the wall'. The critical thing is to drink enough and to make it an energy drink so that you have enough carbs. You don't need to take out a mortgage to buy powerade/gatorade although lots of people swear by the stuff. If I'm going long, I plan the route to pass a shop - usually the one at Montford Bridge, near the AR06 campsite in fact - and bring some money to buy a carton of strawberry Ribena. I generally stop long enough to drink the lot in moderate sized sips, as I don't like running with fluid sloshing around. And I try to have a drink no less frequently than once every 6 - 7 miles but sometimes that's difficult. My usual long run is 6 miles from home to Montford Bridge, buy a drink, 3 miles on to Nesscliffe and turn round back to Montford Bridge, buy a drink, and then home, usually by a longer route.

Kev, you probably could go longer than 17. Don't overdo it though!! - strecth it out bit by bit. And be sure to drink enough.