SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

East Anglian Revolution If you're based in East Anglia, then this could be for you.

Old 02-05-10, 08:02 PM   #1911
Rob969

Default Re: 'Ere 'ere is the EAR Megathread

can't remember whats on the back of mine just now it was fitted new when i bought the bike but thats only lasted 3000 miles. petrol isn't going as far now either. started of getting 150 miles to a tank now i'm happy to get 100
Old 02-05-10, 08:06 PM   #1912
kellyjo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob969 View Post
started of getting 150 miles to a tank now i'm happy to get 100
I bet you grin more now though
Old 02-05-10, 08:17 PM   #1913
speedplay

My bike was running really well before the service.

Its in need of sprockets and chain in about 1000 miles as well as the rear tyre at the same time.

Oils changed as have been the plugs and all filters, clearences have been checked and it should be back with me middle of next week.

Just have to stump up for the chain etc when I get the rear tyre done too

Might knock 1 tooth down on the sprocket next time though for a bit less 0-100
Old 02-05-10, 09:14 PM   #1914
Rob969

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellyjo View Post
I bet you grin more now though
yeah but i wish it was a little cheaper
Old 02-05-10, 11:13 PM   #1915
svrich

Only 100 miles to a tank?!
I get 160 before the light starts to flash and 180 on fumes before a proper fill up from empty. How hard do you ride? I commute on a main A road with 5 mins of town riding at one end and 5 the other. The rest (20 mins) is open NSL (at 60-80 if the road and traffic allows).
I've been running Continental Road Attacks for the last two sets and have felt confident with them. The mileage has been good too. The only down side has been that the front on the first set that i had cracked in the tread depth. Continental replaced it at 30% of the cost of new as there was 70% wear left on it. I've kept an eye on this set and I'm starting to see some feint cracks which I'll be watching closely.
Old 03-05-10, 07:26 AM   #1916
maviczap
Mega Poster

Z6's have a good rep for returning good milage, without compromising grip
maviczap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-10, 08:34 AM   #1917
Rob969

think i've decided on a set of Avon storm ultras. going to order them online later today. I don't comute on the bike it only takes 5 mins on my mountain bike to get to work so the only time i really ride it is when i go country road blasting. Don't think it'll drop much more below 100 miles to a tank as i got about 90 miles out of a tank on a trackday.
Old 03-05-10, 01:03 PM   #1918
Rob969

Well i've been out and got a new oil filter, oil and spark plugs to fit, ordered some tyres and broke up a dog fight that happened over the road. Now i'm considering purchasing some braided brake lines to fit as well.
Old 03-05-10, 03:20 PM   #1919
kellyjo

Was wondering if any of you have done the valve clearances and balanced the carbs on your curvy's as its the only thing left i need to get done on mine - ive done 8k miles and have no idea if or when they have been previously done.

How much work does it involve and is it something i could do myself or is it a little ambitious, in which case does anyone want to give me a hand and earn themselves a few quid? Been quoted £150-200 to get it done at my local place and just dont have the cash available this side of christmas!!!
Old 03-05-10, 03:28 PM   #1920
maviczap
Mega Poster

KJ, doing the valve clearances is a big job, although checking the clearances is relatively easy.

If you can check them, then you can tell the garage which ones need doing. If you check them yourself, then they might not need doing at all, which will save you £150!

If they need doing, then the cams have to come out, to get to the buckets and shims. Which is why its a big job.

To check them, you'll need a set of feeler gauges and a socket to turn the engine over. Have you got the Haynes manual?

To do the carbs, you'll need a set of gauges. Not difficult, but a bit of a pain on the Sv as the take off for the gauges is between the V
maviczap is offline   Reply With Quote