SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Photos Place your images here. There's also a "U" rating so please respect this.

Old 09-09-16, 07:32 PM   #1961
Kenzie

Default Re: Vintage film cameras

Still don't know what to take to Vegas. D3200 will need at least two lenses but not sure how well the TZ will do in low light. But it means no lens changes and will fit in my pocket.
Kenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-16, 08:10 PM   #1962
yokohama

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyrod View Post
Looking good! On the one through the trees, if you were wanting detail on the leaves that are silhouetted then you need some fill flash. Same for the profiteroles, if you want to reduce the contrast then you need another source of light, and by setting the aperture manually you can control the amount of fill vs. ambient. With an SLR though you might end up with as lower shutter speed than you'd wanted though. That or if there's a lot of contrast but it's not impossible then you can just over-expose, as film is a bit more forgiving, especially B&W. If you have more than about 4 stops between light and dark, or maybe 6 with B&W then you won't get it all and need to fill the shadows somehow. Does it have exposure lock? You can use either the camera or a separate meter to measure the light and dark areas to figure out your settings.
The one through the trees.... the background isn't properly exposed so it's more anticipating that while composing and then playing around with EV compensation to deal with it. There are a couple of other shots where the camera's kind of evened out the light and shade leaving things a bit under exposed. I've got a manual adaptor for the om10 now, which should help. I don't think it has an exposure lock but I'd need to check the manual for that.
yokohama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-16, 08:18 PM   #1963
yokohama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenzie View Post
Still don't know what to take to Vegas. D3200 will need at least two lenses but not sure how well the TZ will do in low light. But it means no lens changes and will fit in my pocket.
It depends how low. Mine isn't brilliant in low light but yours is a newer model. Maybe have a play with some of the modes and settings before you go. Once you get something that works, save it in the custom setting. I found this guy useful. He seems to get good night shots.
https://fabritips.wordpress.com/

But having said that, last time I tried the same shot with different settings, the program mode was almost as good as anything else.
Old 09-09-16, 08:51 PM   #1964
Kenzie

Might have a play around an try some low light shots. I don't want the camera to be a distraction, the TZ will cover 24-420mm and will fit in my pocket. D3200 means a bag and two lenses. So much to see but also want some good shots.
Listed as "old camera" 262609206183

Last edited by Kenzie; 09-09-16 at 09:32 PM.
Old 09-09-16, 09:49 PM   #1965
johnnyrod
Mega Poster

Yoko - yes I see what you mean, it's too bright. It can be hard to tell, even with centre-weighted metering, exactly what it's looking at. For a tricky one like that if the meter didn't seem to be giving a sensible number, I'd check it with Pocket Light Meter. That said, I'd also forget and just find out later I should have done, odds are. Anyhoo I'm a bit wary of all-auto cameras, though good pictures are always a bit about knowing your kit, and I guess that's regardless of what it is - I use the meter on any camera a fair bit whether I set the exposure manually or not.

Well I checked out the Canonet Kenzie and it's dead. The missing aperture blade did reappear, but kept popping off its stud (bottom right):
Untitled by John Rodriguez, on Flickr
because the shutter housing is cracked, giving too much axial play:
Untitled by John Rodriguez, on Flickr
so unless you really want it, I'm gonna bin it. Or more likely, stick it somewhere for 10 years first. It's still in a million bits, will work out what to do next in the morning! As with the Konica which also has a Copal SV shutter (different variant), it was a complete pig to get into, and nothing made any sense - bit like a Ducati.

Last edited by johnnyrod; 09-09-16 at 10:03 PM.
johnnyrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-16, 09:55 PM   #1966
Kenzie

Bit of super glue and it'll be fine! I reckon it's been dropped at some point in its life. If you want to send it back I'll keep it for spares in case I try for another. I'll pay to cover post.
Hey Yoko, I keep sending him cameras but never get any back!

Last edited by Kenzie; 09-09-16 at 10:02 PM.
Old 09-09-16, 10:02 PM   #1967
johnnyrod
Mega Poster

No worries, will make it into as few bits as possible first. If you're sending the Certo and/or whatever else I'll send them back together, don't worry about postage. Yeah I can only think it's been dropped, though must have been more or less square on as I couldn't see anything else, or maybe just a poor casting from new. It's not an area that gets any mechanical stress.
johnnyrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-16, 10:03 PM   #1968
Kenzie

Been a busy week at work but I will try and send them up before I go on holiday.
Old 10-09-16, 06:13 AM   #1969
Kenzie

Hey Johnny, were you looking to sell the BX20?
Old 10-09-16, 08:48 AM   #1970
yokohama

Cheeky so and so on Gumtree with the Yashica MG. It's advertised for £20 but after a few emails re condition etc, he tells me he's now looking for £30. ������