SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 23-05-05, 02:39 PM   #11
northwind
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balky001
If you are worried about dropping it you can get you bike covered for about £50. Type in Track Day Insurance in google, there's a few companies.
But read all the small print! For instance, Pitandpaddock

"Exclusions: Damage to bodywork / fairings, Mechanical breakdown, Storage and transit costs, Loss of consumable items, Loss or damage to helmets or overalls / clothing, third party liability."

£60 gets you total loss replacement only with a £500 excess, £125 gets you ground up repair, but with a £500 excess and no cover for the bodywork. So to make it worth claiming on an SV you'll need to really work it over. Ground up repair's almost certainly not economic for us- with the £125 cost, £500 excess and no plastic cover you'd need to bend the frame or basically destroy everything else to make it worthwhile. and in that case the total loss cover would probably kick in it seems.

Not saying it's a bad idea, just that you'll want to read it over carefully.
But we're oh so easily swayed"
northwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-05, 03:20 PM   #12
Balky001
Mega Poster

I agree with you, but if you are doing minor damage you wouldn't claim anyway and serious stuff, well, you'd make sure it was a write off. I took out the insurance once but thought it a bit expensive if you are doing 5 or 6 track days a season.
Old 24-05-05, 10:49 AM   #13
exduker

I was in the same boat as you Bikeageboy when I tagged along with a mate to a Hottrax day at Mallory Park to find out about how it all worked.

I was impressed with the organisation and the support for novices. I've since decided that I would be OK to do one myself but would offer the following advice based upon my albeit limited personal experience but from talking to several people there

1. first rule is "ONLY GO AS FAST AS YOU ARE COMFORTABLE WITH" do not get sucked into trying to be Barry Sheene in a day. I watched the novice group and saw that all sorts were out there and going at varying speeds. You will not be the slowest, and even if you are, it don't matter!

2. second rule "WAIT FOR YOUR TYRES TO WARM UP" - I think it's usual to do several "sighting laps" behind an instructor at the start of each session to warm up the tyres but then gradually build up speed thereafter rather than going banzai as soon as the instructor peels off

A good source of advice can be found on the Hottrax site here
http://www.hottrax-online.com/conten...eb7bac90f262f4

and here

http://www.hottrax-online.com/conten...ude=typicalday

All-in-all, from being a bit of a wuss about it all, I now feel more confident to go along myself and have a go. The missus has just anounced the first child is on the way though so just as I work up the courage, I need to save money for other things!
Old 24-05-05, 11:50 AM   #14
Halonic

Quote:
Originally Posted by exduker
The missus has just anounced the first child is on the way though so just as I work up the courage, I need to save money for other things!
well done that man

A couple of questions, has anyone tried a track day on a naked? and, anyone tried Nordschleife at all?

aside from that, from what I've seen, Brands et al do evening sessions for much cheapness, it doesnt look like you get many laps but I'm hpoing this would be an easy intro into it
Old 24-05-05, 01:38 PM   #15
exduker

thanks!

plenty of nakeds (is that naki in plural form?) at the event I went to - one of the instructors was even on a traillie!!!!!

I'd recommend Malory Park as a good starter track - short circuit (easy to learn), a couple of long bends (to build up confidence and try for the knee-down mecca experience) and my mate was seeing 155mph on the start/finish straight (admittedly on a gixer thou)

The best bit is its usually circa £99 for a full day with about 6-8 20min sessions!

From where I am (M40/M25 junction) it took just under 2 hours to ride there.
Old 24-05-05, 01:40 PM   #16
Balky001
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halonic
aside from that, from what I've seen, Brands et al do evening sessions for much cheapness, it doesnt look like you get many laps but I'm hpoing this would be an easy intro into it
I spoke with FocusedEvents as I'm doing a daytime track day at Brands on Tuesday, where they are also doing an evening session for £59. They said that you get 4 sessions, but as there are only 2 groups of 25-30 minutes each, that could be a good 2 hours, as opposed to 2 hours 20 minutes for an all dayer at £139 - good value!
Old 29-05-05, 04:17 PM   #17
bmk

Hi,

For anyone new to track days and feeling apprehensive about doing one, I would recommend Martin Hopp. He has one day a month at Cadwell Park, and his fall off / accident rate is probably the lowest in the country.

He runs his days with about 10 or so instructors and limits overtaking in the mornings whilst everyone is getting up to speed. Don't assume that because overtaking is restricted that you will be going slowly, he runs 5 groups to each session, each with their own instructor, and they will lead the group as quick as they feel comfortable with, building the pace each session during the morning, with tips and feedback after each session.

Days cost £125, and his rebook rate is probably about 70%. His website is - http://www.hoppridertraining.co.uk/