SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 28-02-07, 10:20 PM   #11
Flamin_Squirrel

Default Re: Trackday - Rockingham National Circuit - Sat 7th April

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue_SV650S View Post
My bad???

Yeah, last time I went was back in 2001 IIRC shortly after it was built ... its a cracking little track and will be ideal for the SV as it has no long straights or anything ... it is also about equal amounts of left and rights which makes for more fun/challenge and better tyre wear

Why do you ask?
Just interested what your thoughts on it were.

I struggled with it really (ok I admit it was my 2nd track day). Found it alot more challenging than brands.
Old 28-02-07, 10:21 PM   #12
weazelz

Quote:
...you have done a dozen trackdays
I haven't been there before. I'll probably move up after a session or two once I get bored of people parking it in front of me in the corners
Old 01-03-07, 10:22 AM   #13
Blue_SV650S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamin_Squirrel View Post
Brands is very basic, Rockingham has what (without actually adding it up) 3 times as many corners??? And lots more ‘combinations’/direction changes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by weazelz View Post

Hey, its your choice, just surprised you want to go in the novice group as I can’t see the value in it for YOU … its not like you will be able to ‘learn’ the track properly if you are constantly trying to avoid people and can’t get up to speed … the Novice group is there for ppl seeing what track life is all about … which is as it should be … to have you zipping past isn’t going to do THEIR confidence any favours!!! The fact it is your first time THERE is kinda irrelevant … it is track prowess that should determine group, not experience at the track …
Old 01-03-07, 10:30 AM   #14
thor

My first track day was at the rock. I enjoyed it a lot more than silverstone because the speeds were a lot lower and my road riding was a lot more helpful.

Oh yeah and it was hot - so my tyres were actually working!
Old 01-03-07, 11:52 AM   #15
Blue_SV650S

Quote:
Originally Posted by thor View Post
Oh yeah and it was hot - so my tyres were actually working!
Pilot Race 2s are going to spoil anyones day!!
Old 01-03-07, 03:40 PM   #16
lukemillar
Mega Poster

Quote:
Hey, its your choice, just surprised you want to go in the novice group as I can’t see the value in it for YOU … its not like you will be able to ‘learn’ the track properly if you are constantly trying to avoid people and can’t get up to speed … the Novice group is there for ppl seeing what track life is all about … which is as it should be … to have you zipping past isn’t going to do THEIR confidence any favours!!! The fact it is your first time THERE is kinda irrelevant … it is track prowess that should determine group, not experience at the track …

I agree. I think the novice group probably reflects the widest range of abilities out of the 3. You get everyone from first timers to people who have done a few, but maybe not have the confidence to join the big boy leagues just yet and even within those ranges, you find first timers who are quite quick and people with a bit of experience who are quite slow.
#24 - Honda VFR400R NC30
lukemillar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-07, 04:12 PM   #17
Blue_SV650S

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukemillar View Post
Not seen you ride since Lydden, or on your new bike, so can't really comment on you; but the Weezley one is deffo an inters rider …

However, he is also sensible enough not to really put himself or others in any danger … just seems a bit odd that he chose novice … but hey, what done is done … he should be able to move about as the day goes on

We haven’t managed to recruit anyone else yet
Old 01-03-07, 05:21 PM   #18
lukemillar
Mega Poster

Angry Re: Trackday - Rockingham National Circuit - Sat 7th April

Quote:
Not seen you ride since Lydden, or on your new bike, so can't really comment on you; but the Weezley one is deffo an inters rider …

Nah, I'm not there yet! Silverstone was good - A real confidence booster particluary with the SV being way down on power - very noticable on the straights compared to the sportsbikes, but made very little difference in the corners Where my confidence is particulary lacking is in taking opportunites to overtake - I just find it a bit of a guessing game as to what people may do in the corners + in the novices the pace and ability is so varied - I just don't trust them!

Brands on Saturday will be the first on the new bike - Really looking forward to it, so will see how it goes.

Quote:
We haven’t managed to recruit anyone else yet
Maybe people aren't sure. Took me a while to pluck up the courage and do the first (thanks to a big group from here as well) Since then, I'm hooked! Plus, it is only just March....
#24 - Honda VFR400R NC30

Last edited by lukemillar; 01-03-07 at 05:28 PM.
lukemillar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-07, 12:25 AM   #19
monkey

I'm considering it boys and girls. Looks like a good track. Starting to wish I hadn't commited to Silverstone now. Although there will be an excuse there for being slow-as Luke said, the lack of power on the straights. Any funny cambers or owt going on? Didn't like the camber change at Brands just before the big straight. Bike felt floaty light and I felt phhhrrty poop .

Will have a word in the Missus' shell like and tell her what a good opportunity it'd be to miss! One question-anyone got any ideas how to get a poorly bike 30 miles without a van (in case of a er.... BREAKDOWN, yeah breakdown!)? This was a problem at Cadwell but luckily a very nice chap looked after the bike overnight so I could get the bits to fix it.

If I make it I may embarass you all though. Sorry in advance.
Old 06-03-07, 01:32 PM   #20
Blue_SV650S

Quote:
Originally Posted by teriyakimonkey View Post

The only naff bit about Silverstone is the new chicane is a bit unnatural ... but I have found a solution to that now, the rest of the track is good surface and cambers ... well one of them is slightly off camber, but nothing drastic